Texas Fishing Forum

Legend Boats

Posted By: getbent956

Legend Boats - 08/18/16 09:18 PM

Ok this bass boat stuff is driving me crazy lol I had narrowed down my choices to a 618pro or a z518. Called my dealer for my bay boat and wanted him to sale my boat for me. They will sale it quicker and for more money. Yeah they get some but enough of that part. He told me he has. 2010 211 Alpha from Legend. Not what I was looking for but he said it was really nice and we'll taken care of. I have a great amount of trust in this dealer, always helped me out and went out of his way to help me. So now I am considering this boat. It needs new graphs and has a 36volt fortrex but I'm getting the ultrex when available and currently has a 8' power pole pro. Anyone have any personal experience with Legend boats and would you buy a used one? I want to replace the face on the dash already and maybe see how to get seats reupholstered. There are a couple of tears on the seams. Thanks
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 09:21 PM

The alpha series are great boats but they are very narrow
Posted By: stetson

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 09:23 PM

They bounce bad in rough water as well

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 09:44 PM

I heard about them being narrow. I'm not a big guy 5'10 195lbs and trying to lose some weight. As far as bouncing and rough water- I could deal with it. If it's rough water it's rough water it happens. Just get me home is all I ask. Please remember I'm buying used and offering below nada value so don't compare it to a new 20' boat for $60k. I'm just looking for stories of customer service for 2nd hand buyers. It's a lot more boat then I was looking for but if I got it for bellow nada and equipped they way I wanted for the same as a new 18' would y'all do it? I fish Falcon and having a boat where I wouldn't get nervous every time I felt the wind pick up would be nice.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to answer by the way b
Posted By: wormy1

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 09:49 PM

Hey no dealer or salesman I have a Legend alpha 199 Rough water lot smoother than any Skeeter or Ranger I've been in. Champion has the smoothiest ride. You should find a rough day take it for a ride. form your own opinion. Sometimes it's just the driver if you don't hit the waves right the deep v Lowe can be rough. Good luck !!! Skeeter or Ranger are great fishing platforms sometimes you just pick the one you think is all around the best.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 10:55 PM

That boat will handle rough water better than a lot of the 21ft boats out there.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 11:17 PM

I didn't like how the Alpha's are pretty narrow, and it's pretty hard to stay on the trolling motor in rough water. Other than that, Legend's are great boats.
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Legend Boats - 08/18/16 11:37 PM

It's a lot more biat than the 2 your currently looking at. I would love a 211!

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 12:15 AM

My plan is to get the Ultrex trolling motor so rough water will be more manageable when I can use the remote further away from the nose.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 12:59 AM

I just recently sold mine I was not impressed with the customer service from the factory
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 01:22 AM

I drive a 618 Phoenix so my opinion is probably a little one sided but these are very nice boats. Can't say that they are any better or worse than the others you are looking at but so far I've had nothing but good experiences with mine for 2 years now. Only had one issue with a pedestal seat and the factory sent me another one asap. I had considered a 20 ft. but I do a lot of crappie fishing also and the smaller 618 lets me get in some places that would be hard with a longer boat. The main thing to consider (at least for me) is whether the boat fits yours wants and needs because if it doesn't then you'll be looking to swap again soon. Good Luck.
Posted By: hairball

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 03:00 AM

The seats are nothing to replace. Make sure that the transom isn't having any problems.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 01:56 PM

Great interior layout, very good ride and darn fast hull.
Posted By: ShawnT

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 02:40 PM

I had a 21' Legend and didnt notice it "bounce" in rough water or have any stability issues, frankly I thought it was just the opposite. Its not as stable as a Skeeter or Ranger and its not enough for you to notice after a couple of trips fishing in it. None of my co-anglers seemed to notice.

I fish offshore a ton in big rollers and with it pointed into the waves while fishing I thought it shined and that was one of the reasons I bought it. Fit and finish is 2nd to none. It handled rough water great, and was a fast hull. I wasnt big on the layout, and I now run a Skeeter FX21, but wouldn't hesitate for a second to run another Legend if Skeeter wasnt an option for me. They are beautiful boats.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 03:31 PM

Not sure what bounce is being talked about here?
Rough water isn't a problem. Put the nose in it, adjust the trim and let it eat. Mine is pretty trim sensitive so you just bump it till the ride smooths out and go..
Not the fastest boats on the market, a little narrow on the nose for some but they are great boats.
Take it for a run and see if you like it
Posted By: DJB

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 04:12 PM

Friend of mine has the exact same boat It a great ride but a very narrow front deck .Not much room for two people up front .Beautiful boat but his trailer is falling apart JMO
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
I drive a 618 Phoenix so my opinion is probably a little one sided but these are very nice boats. Can't say that they are any better or worse than the others you are looking at but so far I've had nothing but good experiences with mine for 2 years now. Only had one issue with a pedestal seat and the factory sent me another one asap. I had considered a 20 ft. but I do a lot of crappie fishing also and the smaller 618 lets me get in some places that would be hard with a longer boat. The main thing to consider (at least for me) is whether the boat fits yours wants and needs because if it doesn't then you'll be looking to swap again soon. Good Luck.

Hey so I was just wondering....how do you feel about Phoenix boats?
Posted By: crowslegend

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 04:18 PM

Crankbait745 That has got to be the first time I have ever heard anyone say something negative about Legends customer service. I am not saying you didn't have a bad experience. I am saying that's the first time I have ever heard of it. I wish you would have the kind of service I have received which is part of the reason I am big on Randy and Legend Boats.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 04:32 PM

They are a really good boat. I have fished out of several different ones. You will love it. I own a Nitro but don't have anything bad to say about the Legends.
Posted By: tricky

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 07:44 PM

yep buddy has one...Great rough water ride and smokin fast!
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 08:02 PM

Have never owned one but been in a few:
Yes, they are narrow, narrow boats ride better than wide boats in rough water ie: Ranger, Skeeter , etc .

Finish out appeared to be great
Yes the front blows around in the wind .

Resale dosent appear to be great
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Legend Boats - 08/19/16 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: crowslegend
Crankbait745 That has got to be the first time I have ever heard anyone say something negative about Legends customer service. I am not saying you didn't have a bad experience. I am saying that's the first time I have ever heard of it. I wish you would have the kind of service I have received which is part of the reason I am big on Randy and Legend Boats.

+1 here too

I have never heard the first thing negative about Legend's customer service. Just the opposite in fact. Their reputation for great customer service is what sold me on mine. Randy Qualls is president of the company and you have direct access to him.

I have heard numerous stories of him personally picking up a boat in the DFW area and dragging it back to the factory in Arkansas for work and then dragging it back to the owner, and I am not talking about some Elite Pro's boat either.

As far as the front deck being narrow, yeah it is narrower than a new Ranger or Skeeter. The new V-series boats addressed that. I've never had a problem fishing two up front in my Alpha 211 and I'm not a little guy.
Posted By: gwl2

Re: Legend Boats - 08/20/16 01:50 AM

Ive owned several boats including Ranger, basscat and legend. I have now owned a legend 199 for about three years. I bought the boat used and fixed and upgraded quite a few things. It is a solid boat, rides very well in rough water. Customer service is very good. The alpha hull is a lot dryer ride than the previous LE version. I am about to upgrade to a 21 ft boat. Not sure yet but it will probably be either a legend 211 or a ranger 521.
Posted By: USA-1

Re: Legend Boats - 08/20/16 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
I didn't like how the Alpha's are pretty narrow, and it's pretty hard to stay on the trolling motor in rough water. Other than that, Legend's are great boats.

say what ???

hmmm noidea helpsign
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Legend Boats - 08/20/16 11:59 AM

1+ on customer service. I have had my Legend for 12 years and love it. I fish the Legend tournament almost every year and the last couple of years have had some minor repairs done to it. All I had to do was call Randy and tell him my needs ahead of time and he said no worries bring it to us. Last year they replace a part that I broke and said it would take an hour to fix it. While they were working on it I went and ate lunch and came back to find it fixed and to my surprise they had "buffed" it also. Oh yeah it was all free. Never will own any other brand IF I decide to get a newer boat.
Posted By: jimritcholds481

Re: Legend Boats - 08/22/16 07:44 PM

i fish out of a 2014 legend alpha 211, absolutely the best riding boat I've been in, and that includes rough water. you stay DRY and DON'T BOUNCE. I know numerous people who get soaked in their skeeters and can't handle as tall of waves without slamming around due to their shallower hull. As far as fishing, the boat is slightly narrower but haven't had any issue staying on the trolling motor in weather. It does get a little narrow when there are 10 rods on the front deck but isn't much of an issue normally. I strongly urge you to take one out and test drive it in "rough" water to make your own opinion, just make sure you're ready to buy one on the spot.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Legend Boats - 08/22/16 08:15 PM

I have heard the same thing from a few friends who used to own Legends, Said customer service was not good.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Legend Boats - 08/22/16 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: DJB
Friend of mine has the exact same boat. Beautiful boat but his trailer is falling apart JMO
EZ loader trailer, skeeter has the same problem...

People seem to be ranting and raving about phoenix's great customer service now like they used to about legends, not sure whats happened. No doubt about it though, legend definitely builds beautiful boats.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Legend Boats - 08/22/16 10:03 PM

I came out of a FX 20, have had one every year since 2012 and before that ran Champion, and now I have my first V20 and could not be happier. The way the boat sits, is laid out with the seats further toward the rear deck and runs waves reminds me a lot of my Champion. Maybe I have just gotten lucky so far, but I have been very pleased with the customer service from Legend, now granted I have not had any kind of major issues but the small things I have dealt with them with(I.e..new decals for when wrap is off, upgraded cover etc) has been spot on. They were actually the ones that told me that if I will let the factory know ahead of time that I plan to run a dual graph mount, they will actually rearrange the gauges so that none will be blocked by the dual units. I was used to Skeeter, which makes a lot more boats a year, but it was basically you get what you get.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum