Texas Fishing Forum

Best Begining Baitcast Rod

Posted By: ksalmon

Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/18/16 08:31 PM

Piggybacking off of the best baitcasting reel thread what would be a great inexpensive rod for a beginner? Taking my son fishing this Fall to get him hooked on a top water bite. I have been looking at the Abu Garcia Vengeance, the Fenwick Silverhawk, H2O Express Ethos. Any other suggestions?
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/18/16 08:44 PM

Cheap? Allstar AST 6'9" MH Fast Action for $70
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/18/16 08:55 PM

The rod should be matched to his size. I do not know how old your son is but if he is a young man a decent 5-6 ft rod might be good for him to use and less dangerous for you. I have found the UglySticks to be very good first rods. I know with a little guiding with my grand daughter that she and I had a lot of fun picking her a first rod and reel outfit.
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/18/16 09:21 PM

He is 14 and about 5'6". Good point about scaling to his size.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/18/16 09:35 PM

6'6" should be fine
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/20/16 05:24 PM

No need to spend a ton of cash to begin with. I personally started with Bass Pro Extreme combos and also Berkely lighting rods.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/20/16 05:44 PM

+2 on the 6'6" Berkley Lightning Rod. Also go to jet.com and use discount code TRIPLE15. All kinds of bargains there on several brands.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/20/16 06:01 PM

Daiwa AIRD rods. Your son will love em! 6.6mh and 6.6m rods available. Butt length is not very long like others...great for kayakers and those that prefer a shorter butt length...
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/20/16 09:30 PM

A 6' - 6'6" medium action rod should suffice. You can pick the all stars up all day long at academy cheap. Plus you can probably pick up some rattle traps too
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/20/16 10:36 PM

Falcon bucoo rods. They're about 100 bucks for the non micro guide version. They are priced well below what they're worth!
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/21/16 01:46 AM

To this day, I still use a 6'6" lightning rod for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swimjigs, and shallow cranks. I've tried "trading up" but I ended up going back to the lightning rod. I can cast extremely accurately with that rod. My lure lands exactly where I want it to.

Price: $40
Value: priceless
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Best Begining Baitcast Rod - 08/21/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverAtackle
Daiwa AIRD rods. Your son will love em! 6.6mh and 6.6m rods available. Butt length is not very long like others...great for kayakers and those that prefer a shorter butt length...

The shorter butt length is a big deal for shorter people,(I'm 5'8) the butt length is one of the main factors I consider. Especially on a technique that requires a lot of rod manipulation during casting\retrieving, I.e.; top water rod or flipping\pitching rod.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum