Texas Fishing Forum

Practice practice practice

Posted By: Thecrankster

Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 08:02 PM

I have my son casting 100 x a day to targets...What other things can he do to get better at casting acurracy...I want him to be able to put it in a dime size hole and he does too
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 08:53 PM

Pitching a jig would be good practice imo

Also doing it under a table
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Pitching a jig would be good practice imo

Also doing it under a table

Yep.

Rig up a Texas rig.... start heavy then get lighter. See how far you can pitch it into the flower pot. Then switch hands. Then get under the trailer or something similar.

Practice and more practice. Pros catch those hard to reach fish that many of us never get our lure to.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 09:06 PM

And have him start pitching with the hand he is going to hold the rod with so he doesn't have to switch hands.

That's how I started and it's definitely an advantage.

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 09:07 PM

That's awesome advice thanks guys
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
And have him start pitching with the hand he is going to hold the rod with so he doesn't have to switch hands.

That's how I started and it's definitely an advantage.

Great point!

Crankster.... Go get him a cheapy off hand reel. If he's righty, buy him a lefty and vice-versa. A short rod is fine too. It's the action he needs to master.

As Rhino said, get him started pitching and flipping without switching hands and he will thank you later in life.
Posted By: bcoop1723

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/18/16 11:09 PM

I would also work on skipping, being able to skip way back under cover is a huge advantage
Posted By: sandman79

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 02:10 AM

I agree with Rhino68W and bcoop1723 learning to use one hand to flip and skip baits will be a big advantage.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 02:38 AM

Kids like building stuff. Design a small platform to represent the height of the boat deck. He needs to learn form that height. It is good to sit the can under, around and close to all the bushes in the yard. I like the three target drill.
- 3 plastic one pound coffee cans with a little sand in them for weight.
- Place one on the left of the bush but tight to it. OK if a limb or two are in the way. It still has to get in there.
- Place one in the bush as low two the ground as possible.
- The last one to the right of the bush.
- Get it in the two on the out side first then place it in the one in the bush. This represents how you fish a bush; always seeking the opportunity for the fish to come out and get it. Then as a last resort put it in the middle.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 03:05 AM

Well you got him on something that really matters.
So many people don't understand what it means to be REALLY good at casting, pitching, etc.
It makes all the difference imo.
Just make it FUN and hopefully he will do it hours on end. I loved it when I was a kid- so glad my Dad helped me.
Posted By: Kyhokie

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 03:18 AM

Question: how far away are you starting him? I want to start my boy, but don't want him to get discouraged.
Posted By: Professional Overrun

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 03:29 AM

make a platform about 15"-18" high for him to stand on to simulate the deck of the boat. it makes a difference.
Posted By: Pk Lake

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 06:03 AM

Back in the day we would put a solo cup in one room and pitch and flip into the other room. There is a difference between the the two techniques. Learn both! We would go outside and practice both at longer distances. Then when on the lake emulate both techniques.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 06:13 AM

Donald has a great point. The elevated platform is important to simulate the deck of a boat. Also make sure he practices landing his bait into the target softly. A quiet entry is as important as accuracy. A bait the gets to the back of a dock is worthless if it slams off of a piece of wood before it crashes into the water.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 10:53 AM

learn how to skip baits, Jigs, spinner bait(chatter baits)
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 04:11 PM

Save learning the skipping until after he masters the flipping and pitching. Learning to skip is one of the most frustrating techniques and will discourage even the most patient soul. I've been working on it for 8 months with multiple baitcast setups and I've not even come close to perfecting it. The easiest skipping technique to learn is weightless senkos with a spinning set up either rigged Texas or wacky. A good medium action rod with a size 30 spinning reel spooled with 20 to 30 lb braid and an 8lb test fluorocarbon leader work well. This skipping technique you can get down fairly easily. Working with a baitcaster with jigs and other lures takes LOTS of patience and a good eye for picking out backlashes!
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 04:37 PM

Teach him how to skip a jig! It will come in handy.

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 05:03 PM

So now it is a competition between me and him....I lost I gotta do his chores today lol....But don't wake a sleeping old dog I told him lol
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 05:13 PM

Back when I was fishing a lot and actually practicing I found myself walking around the house flipping and casting at every target I could find. Bushes, trees, corners of the house, flower beds, garden, boat. You name it I would flip at everything and learn to work my bait in and out of bushes etc. Like someone else mentioned I saw a show where Denny Brauer talked about flipping with your left hand so you wouldn't have to switch hands and now many years later I very rarely flip with my right unless I am just at a position in the boat I have to. This not only was good practice but kept it from being boring and standing in one place. It forced me to cast and flip from different angles. I don't fish that much anymore but just for fun I still will spend an hour in the yard doing this just for fun and replaying memories in my mind of catching fish.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 05:15 PM

I also liked having a lure on my line to learn to work different baits when practicing flipping unless I was getting my dog involved with the game and I would put on one of the old rubber plugs for that.
Posted By: propman

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 05:26 PM

My granddaughter started casting to targets in the backyard when she came to visit at age 5 with a Zebco 33.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Professional Overrun
make a platform about 15"-18" high for him to stand on to simulate the deck of the boat. it makes a difference.

^^^ this is a Big deal!! simulates the height of a boat from the water and gets the right "pendulum" affect. also it might be good to use the "tape trick" as it will help prevent backlashes!! just make a decent cast and put electrical or masking tape down across that area so the line will only feed off to that spot.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Practice practice practice - 08/19/16 05:56 PM

When he can do this, you'll know he's got it down.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum