Texas Fishing Forum

Can my son knowing this help him in his quest

Posted By: Thecrankster

Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 01:12 AM

My son is learning from my brother how to shot professional video and how to edit video professionally...Will this help him in his quest to one day fish professionally...My brother has worked with video for 20 years from commercials to movies
Posted By: Phil Clark

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 02:55 AM

I would think it could help, he could keep a video diary of his days on the water and any tournament he is in,it would have to help build his resume for building a sponsorship base.Just my thoughts
Posted By: 9094

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 02:58 AM

To fish the big boys the best thing he can have is rich daddy!
Posted By: TXwelder

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 03:00 AM

it could help him, if he wants to be a fish fishburn or maybe a mark zona?

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 03:21 AM

I'm just trying to help him anyway I can at whatever he wants and he loves bass fishing My wife was just diagnosed with cancer and I'm trying to keep his mind fixed on positive things.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 04:20 AM

Yes it will most certainly help him! Have him make a YouTube channel and video himself fishing! Being able to market yourself and your sponsors is a huge attribute and it's allot easier d he can produce and edit quality videos
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 05:10 AM

It certainly won't hurt him! Good luck
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 11:01 AM

You stated his goal is to someday become a professional fisherman, which is something most of us can only dream about. While watching video is great, he needs to go fishing more than he watches video to become a great fisherman.

Time on the water is the ONLY way he will achieve his goal. If watching videos was the path toward being a professional, most people on this forum would be professionals already.

Best of luck to your son. Hopefully someday we will see him in videos hoisting a big trophy or two!
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 01:44 PM

It would be a great addition to his skills and also for marketing. We have several Highschool Anglers on our Field Staff and I encourage them to GoPro their fishing. Sure they will make mistakes and have fun. BUT, eventually they will make good film clips and as a Sponsor I want to see them grow and mature. It will also help them with another opportunity to promote the products and themselves. As they mature and do better they will have basically completed a Highschool/College COMMUNICATION & Speech Class without knowing they did it! banana
And we allllll know how much we & they(YOUNG People) hate to do Speech or Communication classes!
With all the new social media and internet opportunities it takes more than just a shirt and a patch and a sticker to get noticed IF a person wants to progress in the fishing industry. AND the young people tend to be better at the new "Tech" than us older folks. (Just make sure they can spell and do resume's too! Nothing worse than an email TXT mispelled for a sponsor request!!! I even had one from a Grown Man that had his own Company and Address mispelled! ) roflmao
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 9094
To fish the big boys the best thing he can have is rich daddy!

Correct.............
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Thecrankster
My son is learning from my brother how to shot professional video and how to edit video professionally...Will this help him in his quest to one day fish professionally...My brother has worked with video for 20 years from commercials to movies

I don't see much benefit. I was in TV and Film Production and Post Production for many years.

Sounds like maybe he wants a gopher or a unpaid intern to do his work and came up with that as the reason.....
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 03:27 PM

If he just wants to be involved in the fishing industry, it could help if he wants to work on a fishing show. Although I could see how the editing could be beneficial to make videos for social media. Good videos get lots of views, lots of views means exposure, exposure is what sponsors want. If nothing else it will keep him occupied when he can't be on the water.

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 03:41 PM

Thank you guys for input
Posted By: cnprince

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 03:44 PM

All sectors are interlinked.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 03:44 PM

To fish professionally, there is no substitute for time on the water. Tons and tons of time on the water, fishing. I think time on the water with a camera would help, too. Just my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 06:17 PM

IMO....the more time he spends on the water, whether it's fishing or filming, will be a benefit....when I was younger, I learned a lot, just watching someone in the front of the boat.....if he films it...he can watch it anytime....I'd say.....GO FOR IT....
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 08:43 PM

To fish professionally, you have to fish at a professional level. period.

If he wants to be a youtube or social media celebrity, then he has to have those skills.

Having a unique set of video skills doesn't hurt him in the marketing department, but won't do him any good if he isn't a top level angler.

Praying for your wife.

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 08:52 PM

I am very real with my kids if your a 6 on a scale of 1-10 skill wise at any sport I tell them then show them what needs to be done to get to 9 or 10..He's only allowed 1 sport and he chose fishing over football because of his knees..I said go All in leave nothing on the field or lake...I drop him off at the lake in mornings He bank fishes with one kinda lure call me when u catch 5...He loves it he said Dad I feel like Im in a battle with the bass
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 09:05 PM

Encourage that kid to learn as much about anything as he can. It will only better him as a person and as an employee. The more versatile an employee can be, the more valuable he is to a company.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: Can my son knowing this help him in his quest - 08/17/16 10:25 PM

The only way I see it helping him with FISHING is: offer to go out with seasoned anglers to video them. In the process, he can learn from most of them. A young person is like a sponge and most are willing to teach someone willing to learn. Good luck to your son and prayers sent for your wife and family.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum