Texas Fishing Forum

Best Beginner Bait Caster?

Posted By: ftwfishing

Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/16/16 11:03 PM

Just a question ive been meaning to ask. What is the best beginner bait caster for me. I usually fish ponds and the trinity river in fort worth texas.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/16/16 11:07 PM

Shimano Caius A

There's no need to go buy a $300 dollar reel if you're just a beginner. So I suggest you take a look at the Caius A by Shimano. This reel is brand new for this year and it packed full of features for only $80! It'll do everything a high dollar reel will do, trust me.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/16/16 11:25 PM

The Abu Garcia Black Max and Silver Max series are good reels and very reasonable.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/16/16 11:27 PM

Depends on what you're looking to spend. For $100 or less, I think the Bass Pro Pro Qualifier reel is pretty hard to beat. Casts and holds up well. They often go on sale for $79, but I think I've even gotten a couple in the past for $50-$60.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 12:07 AM

Best deal on a reel I have seen in a long time. Check out the Quantum Pulse: https://www.outdoorproshop.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=Quantum.
Posted By: getbent956

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 12:26 AM

i really like 13 concept reels. I have a few of them. They now have the inception which seems really nice for $120.
Posted By: tbucket101

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 12:31 AM

Revo SX or STX.......teaching the kids on these was a breeze, really have to try hard to get a backlash once set up right and learn the amount of arm /wrist power.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: tbucket101
Revo SX or STX.......teaching the kids on these was a breeze, really have to try hard to get a backlash once set up right and learn the amount of arm /wrist power.

Really? Your kids might be naturals in comparison to me. I own two Abu's, an SX and an MGX, and while they are good reels, I feel like they're touchier and take much more effort to dial in than any other Shimano, Lew's, Daiwa, etc. that I own. Once dialed in, they cast a mile, but switching between baits, differing wind conditions, etc., I really have to pay close attention to them. That's just my experience with them, so don't take it as fact.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 02:11 AM

H20 Express Mettle. $60 and it works awesome .
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 02:23 AM

I have had the exact opposite results. My Abu's are one the easiest reels I have ever used. I bought some Lew's BB1 and they have been absolutely wearing on my patience to get set up. I just can't seem to get them dialed in to where I think they should be. I want to like them but having difficult time right now.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 02:39 AM

H20 express mettle.... Can pick them up used for 20-25 a piece and they hold up great!
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 03:22 AM

Bass Pro Shops tourney special is a great reel for the price. I paired one with a BPS cranking rod when I was learning how to deep crank. It was around $40 for the reel and it's actually one of my favorite reels, hard to get a backlash on it.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 12:15 PM

Abu Garcia Black Max.....hands down the best reel for the money. There is no argument.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 12:37 PM

Mettle
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
Abu Garcia Black Max.....hands down the best reel for the money. There is no argument.

100% agree ..... own 6 of them.
Landed multiple 7# fish with no problem.
My son landed a 4#--5# double on an A-Rig with one.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 03:49 PM

Diawa aird.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 04:57 PM

I don't think it matters a lot which brand you choose. Whatever you buy, tighten it down pretty tight and practice using a heavier lure, maybe a 1/2 ounce or heavier spinnerbait or rattletrap type bait. As you get more used to it you can loosen it up and start learning to throw lighter lures. Try throwing downwind as much as you can at first until you get comfortable with what you are doing. The reels today are a lot easier to learn on than those from years ago. I had to become pretty good pretty quick with my thumb to avoid frequent backlashes. Now I hardly have to use my thumb with some of my rigs.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin

This or the Bass Pro- Pro Qualifiers. They're $99 but go on sale for $49 a couple times each year
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 06:12 PM

+1

Reels easy on the pocket book, easy to learn with, need very little adjustments and are very forgiving
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 06:13 PM

banana thumb
And often you can catch them on sale for $49. Can't beat the warranty too! (But I have never had to use it.)
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 06:14 PM

thumb
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 06:15 PM

Shimano. Any of them.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 06:41 PM

H20 Mettle.
Posted By: Texas Bug

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 09:40 PM

Shimano Caenan
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Best Beginner Bait Caster? - 08/17/16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
I have had the exact opposite results. My Abu's are one the easiest reels I have ever used. I bought some Lew's BB1 and they have been absolutely wearing on my patience to get set up. I just can't seem to get them dialed in to where I think they should be. I want to like them but having difficult time right now.

took me awhile to get mine where I was used to it. I just clicked on one lever for the brake and have not touched it since. All adjustments now are from the spool tension knob and my thumb. I cast weightless or up to one ounce. What makes the biggest difference to me is spraying on line conditioner once a trip if it starts to want to backlash at all.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum