Texas Fishing Forum

How did you catch your biggest bass?

Posted By: sacklunch

How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 01:51 PM

I'm curious as to the stories behind everybody's best bass catches. What happened?

Mine was on the Guadalupe River heading into Dunlap. My buddies and I put our yaks into the water under I-35 and started flipping flukes up toward the dam. A recent storm/flood has knocked a huge tree limb into the water and my pals made a bee line toward it to see what was in among the branches and submerged into the water. I held back and kept flipping in different areas working my way up stream. I approach a rock in the river and toss my Watermelon Fluke directly upriver from the rock about 18 inches and let the current take it around the rock. The second the fluke washes into the swirl downstream of the rock, I feel a thump. I tightened my line and set the hook, and brought out this beauty. I gave her a kiss, got a pic, and turned her loose to give somebody else a thrill.

Posted By: MagFluker

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:07 PM

Nice catch.

My 3 DD's came on a mag fluke in watermelon red. 2 fishing T-Rig and 1 on C-Rig. thumb

Lake Austin in it's hydrilla days...

2 on the t-rig came off of one spot, everyone knows them as the pipes. September 2013, September 2014, about a year apart. Dragging these fish out of the structure is not easy. 20# flouro, no less. Feel the thump, rip the rod and crank is fast as you can to get them out of the hazards for break off. You hope they come up and not stay down.

My PB came in the same stretch of lake off a deep dock with a brush pile. About mid-day on a hot, sunny day, November 17, 2013. Was dragging the c-rig across the brush with a magfluke and felt a tick, set the hook and the rod doubled, she dove for deeper water and would not come up, took all my strength to hang on to the rod while she ripped drag, I won, and she got in the net. Our best 5 went 46 lbs, 10 oz that day with 7 total fish over 7 pounds, 2 DD's. I'll never forget that day.

Posted By: Anchorman

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:08 PM

I caught my first 3 DD bass on crank baits
1. There was a point that had schooling Kentucky's every evening. You could catch them on about anything but they were all small. I tied on a med diver bomber and positioned my boat right on retaining wall where I was casting towards the lake. The first two casts I got broke off. On my 3rd and last bomber A I backed off my drag and landed a 10.2. That was my first DD. I changed my line and went back and tried that again dozens of times and never could find the big ones there again.

2. DD 22 cranking at the mouth of a creek in 20' in the middle the afternoon in July. 11.01

3. Trolling a DD 22 with my wife in the boat in the middle of the afternoon in August. Same spot I caught the 2nd one. 12.8
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:15 PM

This is long and a bit dramatic but I wrote it shortly after my PB catch to better remember the moment!

I cast my lizard into what appeared to be open water, perhaps 30 feet or so from the edge of a small patch of reeds that rose like a volcanic island from the deeper water that surrounded it. I can’t be certain how deep the water was were my cast landed, but I suspected it to be around 8 feet, so I counted down my lure for a handful of seconds until I was reasonably sure it rested on the bottom. When I raised my rod to lift the lure, I felt an unnatural weight that subconsciously registers in all fishermen’s brains as something other than a usual hang up. In that moment, decades of muscle memory from thousands of hooks sets before served me well as I struck home a mighty hookset that pinged my line like a baseball off the sweet spot of a bat. I knew immediately I had hooked an enormous fish as my rod bowed up under her weight. For an instant the fish and the rod were locked in a titanic battle of inertia, neither willing to submit to the other. Then realizing she was hooked, the finned giant made a run for the surface with one powerful stroke of its tail. While maintaining pressure I lowered my rod in a valiant attempt to keep the fish from breaching. She flashed near the surface, revealing herself for the first time, and I shouted to Justin, “She’s a giant, big fish, grab the net, big fish!” Then, as quickly as she had come up, she plowed off to deeper water with powerful strokes of her tail as though the hook, line, and steady punishment of the rod were little more than a nuisance to her afternoon feeding routine. In a few more seconds, my rod reached the end of its hyperbolic bend and the fish zinged drag as she drew out line. Having fought this battle in my mind countless times before, I was determined to better the beast as quickly as possible to minimize the chance of some great misfortune the odds of which I knew exponentially increased with the passage of each moment. I strained my equipment to the brink of failure, and turned the fish from her deep water run. When she gave an inch, I took and mile, and reeled madly bringing her in hot as a fighter jet. In the background I could hear Justin scrambling for the net, he shouted, “play her out she’s still too green we will never get her in the net!” At that moment the fish made a heavy powerful run straight beneath the boat. I followed her with my rod tip plunging into the water, all the while my buckled down drag sang once again under the strain. Then she turned again, and made a savage break for the surface emerging wild, gill plates wide, mouth open like a cavernous abyss, with a mighty head shake that threw water for yards. Justin shouted, “My god, she’ll go 11, maybe more!” My hook held, and the fish submerged again, diminished now; a defeated green gladiator. She made one last futile effort to run, but was turned again, this time into the net that awaited her. 26.5" 10.5lbs. April 28th, 2016.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:15 PM

Oh, great memories.

My 12 was over and done before I knew it. I flipped a jig into a tree with 65lb braid on and felt a thump, set the hook and realized I was hung in the tree. Then the tree started swimming away and about three seconds later it was in the net and over. I had to just sit down and take it all in after CPR.

My two tens were at the length of a cast on and XD10 with 12 pound line on. It was an epic battle that went on for ages. I would make some ground but then they would peel drag, jumping, thrashing and making me sweat. Those are the fondest memories because it seemed to last so long.

And that's why we keep coming back......
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:30 PM

- 12 lb. on Amistad - On a bluff over 150 ft. of water. T-Rig small hand poured Blue Flake worm light weight in a huge crack on a bluff. She was at about 20 ft.

- 5 over 12 on Lake Oviachic Mexico. 1 on a DD22 - 1 on a T-rig Brush Hog - 3 on my custom spinner bait.

- 2 over 10 on Sam Rayburn both on my Custom Flash Shad Spook. Heavy Grass.

- 2 over 12 on Falcon both the same day on a 20 ft. slop next to the river channel. Both on a pushed up 3/8 pegged weight and a Yum Dinger large size. Semi-Crig..

- 2 over 12 on Ivie - one on T-Rig with Zoom Castic Choice Lizard and one on C-Rig 10" Red Shad Power Worm. Both right next to the river channel one on the Concho and one on the Colo.. In heavy river bank trees.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:34 PM

Great memories!
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:45 PM

off a bed in Glade, I was anchored with a guide doing circles around me. She came on a white tube, fought pretty hard and was released.
Details: 23 7/8" football. Weight.. no idea, picture-no camera. Memory will never forget.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 02:56 PM

9 lbs 5 oz on a chatterbait with a white trailer...June 15, 2008...n my nabor's tank...hothothot...only bite i got that mornin'...how bout that fishin' rig

Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 03:10 PM

I went down to Falcon and threw a bait in the water. The lake did the rest.
Posted By: ShamrockSmith

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 03:12 PM

9.51 that hit a jerkbait like a freight train. Lake Benbrook of all places. NO, SERIOUSLY. roflmao
Posted By: GizmosMom

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 03:14 PM

Fishing with my husband on Choke Canyon in June, 2009. We were just fun fishing and I said, "Hey, we don't have our net out." Husband replied that we wouldn't need it.

After a while I started to complain that we were fishing too shallow. Husband told me, "Just shut up and throw your lure." So I threw a green pumpkin Minda Spear Worm over to a tree. Felt a bite and set the hook. she jumped out of the water and I said, "I think I need the net!!!!!" I reeled her in over some trees. Husband said that he was amazed that I got her in the boat.

I shook for an hour after that1 It was awesome. She was 11.4

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: GizmosMom
Fishing with my husband on Choke Canyon in June, 2009. We were just fun fishing and I said, "Hey, we don't have our net out." Husband replied that we wouldn't need it.

After a while I started to complain that we were fishing too shallow. Husband told me, "Just shut up and throw your lure." So I threw a green pumpkin Minda Spear Worm over to a tree. Felt a bite and set the hook. she jumped out of the water and I said, "I think I need the net!!!!!" I reeled her in over some trees. Husband said that he was amazed that I got her in the boat.

I shook for an hour after that1 It was awesome. She was 11.4

Great story & fish!

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
- 12 lb. on Amistad - On a bluff over 150 ft. of water. T-Rig small hand poured Blue Flake worm light weight in a huge crack on a bluff. She was at about 20 ft.

- 5 over 12 on Lake Oviachic Mexico. 1 on a DD22 - 1 on a T-rig Brush Hog - 3 on my custom spinner bait.

- 2 over 10 on Sam Rayburn both on my Custom Flash Shad Spook. Heavy Grass.

- 2 over 12 on Falcon both the same day on a 20 ft. slop next to the river channel. Both on a pushed up 3/8 pegged weight and a Yum Dinger large size. Semi-Crig..

- 2 over 12 on Ivie - one on T-Rig with Zoom Castic Choice Lizard and one on C-Rig 10" Red Shad Power Worm. Both right next to the river channel one on the Concho and one on the Colo.. In heavy river bank trees.

If you had landed the one we saw twice by the dam at CB, you would have a great story.... eeks
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 03:58 PM

8lb 15oz on a senko she jumped out of the water and spit my senko out then 1.5 hr later she bit again and got her in the boat this time then released her quickly back in the water both times got her on my go pro maybe i can download it here if i figure it out..
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 04:01 PM

11.2 off of a bed in 8 feet of water, white Bass assassin, Moss Lake.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 04:07 PM

My biggest came from flipping a jig into timber along the channel, on Lake Fork.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 04:28 PM

GizmosMom.... greatness!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 04:39 PM

Best daytime fish - lightweight C-rig with a Zoom Centipede.

Best nighttime fish - Gene Larew Hawg Craw.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 06:39 PM

Spinnerbait.....11.06
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 06:46 PM

13.6 July night fishing Fork
13.3 January SAL swimbait Lake Nac
13+ February sight fishing
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 06:51 PM

Swim bait in 13' of water at the mouth of a creek on fork in December. 11.20
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:01 PM

11.67 lake LBJ PB&J finesse jig with a baby brush hog trailer off a point up the river
10.00 O.H. Ivie silver trap over grass
9lb 14oz lake Flacon 1oz football jig off rock pile
Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:03 PM

12.94 March of 2015 (in my signature). My son and I were fishing a club tourney on Athens. I had recorded a Honey Hole show on Athens and Bill was using a red trap and wearing them out and I marked some spots on the graph. We went down the night before. Woke up the next morning, 27 degrees and frost on the boat. Went to the spots marked and there were two other boats. Both of them were catching, we were not. At almost 10 am, we decided to move and fish the island. Started on the south side. My son caught his first fish on the east side of the island, a very very skinny slot. He was throwing a red trap. I had switched to a white spinner bait. Once he caught his, I picked up my rod with a red trap on it and about 7-8 casts after he caught his, I hooked up. Felt like I was hauling in a log at first. Once she saw the boat, I went from the front, to the back and back to the front. She surfaced and my son netted her. We sat for 30 minutes, laughing like little kids after some high fives and photos.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:04 PM

9.5 at sqauw on a tree we threw at 100 times.
Broke my pb twice that day. Had another
pushing 9 if it wasn't 9.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:05 PM

4# on a Carolina Rig. Custom June bug worm with hand painted Chartreuse Garlic Secented Tail. Flooded Timber in Lake Conroe.... Lake record.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:12 PM

I caught this Ray Roberts bass at daybreak on a large Yellow Magic popper in Bone. The hit wasn't too dramatic, it was more liked the lure got flushed. No scale and very low light so pics weren't that great.

Posted By: Dubee

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
11.67 lake LBJ PB&J finesse jig with a baby brush hog trailer off a point up the river

I thought you had one over ten with pack lol

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee

I thought you had one over ten with pack lol

guess Dubee can't read since he failed to answer the OPs question.
Posted By: BigBassB

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 07:38 PM

My PB is just over 7lbs. Funny thing is, I caught her in about 3 ft of water off the bank under a tree limb I was standing on when I was about 16. Didn't have a clue what I was doing and must have just been a reaction strike. I literally dropped a worm right on her head. Didn't even see her, but wow did she take me for a ride.

Not sure why I haven't found one bigger yet..... violin
Posted By: bronco71

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 08:38 PM

Mine was many years ago on a small lake in the National Grasslands near Decatur, Tx on a hot June day. A friend and I were in a canoe around 1pm and hadn't caught anything for quite a while. I had a soft body Pop Top lure tied on and had cast to the edge of the cattails, I let it sit as we drifted away and I was turned talking to my friend in the back of the boat discussing whether to leave or not. My lure had floated out about 15 yds from the cattails and I had a lot of loose line out. It had been in the water at least 5 minutes. His eyes got big and jaw dropped and I turned to see a big mouth engulf my lure. I tried to set the hook but with the loose line I just managed to jerk the pole hitting my lip and busting it open. I got the loose line reeled in and the fish was still on....set the hook and got it in the boat. It was just under 7lbs....but this was 40 years ago. Haven't seriously fished much due to work and family but recently retired and plan to beat that record....hopefully!
Posted By: sacklunch

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 08:42 PM

Interesting stories, guys and gals! Keep 'em coming!
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Chasin Hogs

100 casts? That must have given you anxiety fishing that slow! roflmao is that y'all's 29lb day?

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
Mine was many years ago on a small lake in the National Grasslands near Decatur, Tx on a hot June day. A friend and I were in a canoe around 1pm and hadn't caught anything for quite a while. I had a soft body Pop Top lure tied on and had cast to the edge of the cattails, I let it sit as we drifted away and I was turned talking to my friend in the back of the boat discussing whether to leave or not. My lure had floated out about 15 yds from the cattails and I had a lot of loose line out. It had been in the water at least 5 minutes. His eyes got big and jaw dropped and I turned to see a big mouth engulf my lure. I tried to set the hook but with the loose line I just managed to jerk the pole hitting my lip and busting it open. I got the loose line reeled in and the fish was still on....set the hook and got it in the boat. It was just under 7lbs....but this was 40 years ago. Haven't seriously fished much due to work and family but recently retired and plan to beat that record....hopefully!

Congrats on retirement! Hope you break that record!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 09:23 PM

My biggest was on a horny toad 2nd biggest on a spook in skeeter owners tourny.

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden

100 casts? That must have given you anxiety fishing that slow! roflmao is that y'all's 29lb day?

HAHA. Yea it was. We stayed there all day
and caught it in the last 20 minutes.

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 10:55 PM

My biggest, and personal best, was a 12lb 9 oz on a private tank in Red Oak, Texas. I caught it on a SK frog dragging it over mats. Fun day, as I just returned home an hour earlier from fishing a Red tourney at San Luis Pass near Galveston. I really bombed in the tourney. Very bad. I got home and just wanted to catch a few bass and releive the stress. It actually kinda scared me when it happened. It exploded through the 1" thick mat like JAWS! Man...my heart was racing. In 30 plus years of fishing, I've never had a fish catch me off guard like that. It really kinda scared the [censored] out of me. Lol.

I have caught quite a few over 10 and a few dozen of them in the 8-10 pound range.

The biggest was the frog. The other DDs were all jig fish. Most of the 8-10's were a mix of jigs, Biffle bugs, and Senkos.

I have lost my potential personal twice now on Joe Pool....both of those disasters were on Biffle Bugs.

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:09 PM

January 7, 2012 I was fishing with a good friend and I caught a 15.0 on a Booyah jig in about 12' of water at Camelot Bell. I had on 65# braid with a 7' heavy action Shimano Crucial rod and an old gold Shimano Chronarch. As she swam by the boat I got a good look at her and I screamed at Mike, "Don't miss her, that's a 14 pounder!!!"

She was 27" long with a 23" girth. I managed to get my phone outta my pocket and hand it to my bud so he could shoot video. He got the video rolling just as Mike Frazier grabbed her. We were both screaming like little girls when she came in the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pIF17PJajo

She was the first 15 pounder caught from The Bell but there have been quite a few since. She was the lake record for all of about two months then my friend Dr JL busted it with a 15.50. It was an awesome day to watch my friend catch two 7's and two 8's.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:10 PM

During spawn at Lake Arlington. Caught one that weighed 9 lbs. Quarter ounce tungsten, plum rage craw, 3 ft of water.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:16 PM

Crappie fishing on Pinkston. 6 pound line, 1/8 oz. jig and 10 ft. B&M crappie pole.
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:26 PM

Lake Gilmer, February 2009, air temp 36, water temp 48, drizzling rain, North wind around 5, jig on creek channel, 15 ft water, 9lbs 12 oz.

I was not in a tournament, but my stringer would have been in right at 30. I had a 6, 2 - 5s, and a 4.

Posted By: Chris B

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:38 PM

Caught her on a Talon jig with a chartreuse pepper lake fork baby creature trailer in the hay grass on Toledo Bend.
Posted By: papamark

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:40 PM

I have several DD up to 14.9 caught in Florida, but the one I will always remember is my SAL that was 13.11 caught in Feb 2013. Was crappie fishing with my son, when the crappie quit biting. I picked up a crappie swim bait, tossed it out maybe 10 feet from the boat, twitched it twice and saw her roll on it. Set the hook and when my son netted her I wasn't sure how big she was, but when I took her out of then net I knew she was over 10, but her on the scales she was 13.14

A day I will never forger cause it was with my son.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/12/16 11:49 PM

Awesome day for sure. Days like that are what keeps us coming back.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 12:16 AM

PB was a 8.5 on an old crank phone in the San Saba River in Menard on my granddad's farm.

J/K

8.5 on Fork. Flipped a t rigged blue fleck worm under a dock Popes. It was in summer and it was the only fish we caught that day.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 12:54 AM

Biggest was caught on a chatter bait after rain,in same spot where my sharelunker was caught.

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 02:15 AM

Awesome day for sure. Days like that are what keeps us coming back.

No doubt! That was one of my funnest
days fishing. We caught a ton of fish also. I remember yall smashing 32 lbs next fall.
Posted By: rob4

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 02:22 AM

Just got my "new-to-me" boat, and launched it on Grapevine late in October, my maiden voyage. Went out along the rip-rap by the spillway, and after trying crankbaits, I thought I'd try a Zara Spook, as it seems to work for me in situations when other things don't. A few casts later, I knew from seeing it hitting the spook on top that I had a nice fish. Took my time with it, and got it in. It was the biggest fish I ever personally saw on the water. I was alone, I had no tape measure, no ruler, no camera, nothing to document it or measure it. Cr*p! No one else was even fishing on the lake, except a boat over by the aerators. Heck, I didn't even have numbers on the boat yet. So I measured it to an exact point of reference on the carpet. I put it in the livewell intending to get it to the guys in the boat by the aerators. But its tail was curved around the back of the livewell, and its nose was pushed up in the corner. Didn't want to transport it all scrunched up in there, so I pulled it out, set it in the water, and watched it swim away. I went home that morning, and measured my points on the carpet, and found out it was just shy of 26 inches. Never got the girth so couldn't estimate the weight. Biggest fish so far, though, and probably forever.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 02:31 AM

Just shy of 26"'is a really good fish..... Really really good fish.
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 02:33 AM

My biggest was a 12lb 2oz lake fork bass I caught in 1997 on a tx rigged blue fleck 10" power worm.
Posted By: rob4

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Just shy of 26"'is a really good fish..... Really really good fish.
Yeah... especially for Grapevine. Lake record was 27", so I'll never know. Thats the way it goes...
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 04:52 AM

Fishing Fayette County in about 8 ft. Cast my T rig blue fleck power worm toward one of my favorite areas. I big group of trees that makes a point. Didn't get close enough to the sweet spot so I feel it back in and cast farther and hit right at the base of the tree. Feel a bump and set the hook. She came to the top quick and I knew it was big. Has my nephew in the boat and he was maybe 10. Asked him frantically to dig the net out of the storage. 9lb 6 oz.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 12:42 PM

I was working a S-bend in a creek channel three days before Thanksgiving. It was late afternoon. There was one other boat on the lake.
The fish were keying on schools of shad that were beginning to die off with the cooler temps.
I was sweeping a slab / spoon off the edge of the channel.
The first one weighed about 3.5.
The second was 12 lbs. 3 oz.
The next cast caught an 8.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 03:34 PM

On my second cast on April Fools' Day, 2015, using a black/blue flake Ribbit parallel to a spawning area, a 10-01 attacked the frog. Great fight with 2 jumps and 2 deep dives under my boat.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 05:13 PM

Only 1 Dd
11 something maybe 11.58 or.85lol
Pitched a jig to a tree on a bluff at Falcon.set the hook and tried to boat flip her (30lb Berkley) it kinda slid off the gunnel.then my buddy lipped it and i went nuts.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/13/16 11:44 PM

Richland Chambers, 6" BPS Caterpillar Worm fishing the channel in Reka Creek. 9.1 lbs.
Posted By: Zebco1961

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/14/16 01:51 AM

Biggest i have seen caught in person. Middle of august. Hot as hades. Purtis Creek. 28 3/4" ( no scales). Pink Sluggo. Caught on zebco 202. Off the first point to the right of launch. Caught by a friend of mines young son. Yes i still have the pic.
Posted By: RYAN R

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/14/16 01:56 AM

After watching an episode of Fox Southwest Outdoors Report on Lake Somerville, I recognized the area where Barry was fishing and had some of the same crankbaits he was using in the show. I decided to head out to the lake and see if I could duplicate his results. Barry hooked two good fish over 5 lbs and landed one a strike king series 4 crankbait. I was fishing by myself and headed to the same area I saw Barry in the show, I thought I hung my crankbait in the chunk rock off the island but quickly realized my line was moving. I landed an eight ponder and put her in the livewell while I tried to calm myself down. I found another boat nearby to take a picture of the fish and returned her to the water. I entered the picture into the Costa catch of the week, several weeks later I saw my picture on air. Winner, Costa catch of the week!
Posted By: Bissett

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/14/16 02:55 AM

Caught my 10.49 on Sardis lake in SE OK last October prefishing for a tournament. Luckily I still ended up winning but didn't have big bass lol. I was throwing a chatterbait in the grass and she hit on the outside edge right next to the boat. Didn't even have a hook in her either! She somehow was stuck to the swivel thing on the blade but I had to get the pliers out to get it off. You can see in the picture and the hook is just dangling

Posted By: Razorback

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/14/16 03:20 AM

10.75, Cooper Lake, May 1, 2000 prefishing for a Challenge Bass tournament. Caught her at the base of a tree in about 10 feet of water on a watermelon Zipper worm.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/14/16 06:33 PM

1st week of April , 2000. Early evening , still pre-spawn , Float tube ,Medium action spinning rod , 10LB test , Crigged 4.5" "Magic" worm , Brown with Chart tail . Cast towards shoreline , suddenly realize I have lost my "feel" of the CRIG , set the hook and she's swimming directly towards me , not realizing how big she is until she actually passes my float tube headed for deep water . She tries to jump but can't make it out of the water , I see how big she is as she rolls a second time , letting her take line twice I follow her away from shore . Several moments later , I land a 26"long , 25" girth , 12.5lb bass . Her head was so big and she was so fat she wasn't a good fighter . Since that PB , I have caught many over 10lbs and in my opinion , summer and fall bass , pound for pound , fight way better than spring time females .
Tight lines ,
Robb
Posted By: beartrap

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 12:53 AM

10.97...falcon lake about 5-6 years ago...3/4 oz Oldham jig..green pumpkin paca craw trailer.....biggest bass I ever caught in a tourney was a 9.8 in redman(bfl) tourney and won somewhere around $1,500. this was back when operation bass big fish pot was $5.00 and they gave back $4.00 and donated $1.00 to bass research....this was a combined Ga./Al division tourney on Eufaula with around 350 anglers....
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 01:24 AM

Spring Break of '94. I was a sophomore in HS. We had a little camping shin-dig on the banks of Lake Fork, Bobcat Creek, I believe.There was about a dozen of us, 6 couples I think. 3 johnboats w/ trolling motors. I caught her at around 10pm on a Strike King tri-wing buzzbait. I thought I had hung a log at first until she made the first run; she didn't bust the water, just slurped it under. I got a little nervous when my buddy finally got a light on her and said, "Don't lose that fish!!" She ended up being just shy of 10lbs. & haven't broken the DD barrier yet, but man what a great memory & great times.
Posted By: Hole Shot

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 01:43 AM

This past Jan.- Sam Rayburn on a M-Pack Jig in PB&J.

Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 02:39 AM

Both fish over 10 came on Jerkbaits! The same bait now that I think of it! LC 78SP in sexy shad pattern! 12.80 in late April and 10.00 in Febuary!
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 02:04 PM

Zara Spook. 10.30. Lake Arrowhead in Wichita Falls. May 27th, 2007.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 02:45 PM

Late June, it was 106 degrees air temp. 2:00 p.m. Falcon Lake. 10-5. I casted a 6XD toward a rock pile off the main channel. It felt like I picked up some grass on the retrieve (of course there's no grass there) so I set the hook. After a little line gain, she came half way out of the water, then I knew it was good one. After a few short runs, she slid into the net. It had a half-digested catfish sticking out of its mouth but the 6XD was completely engulfed.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 03:25 PM

Practice the day before a BASS Federation Top Six State Tournament on Lake Palestine in 1996. Pulled up to a secondary point at the mouth of a small pocket early spring time in Flat Creek. Cast our my Golden Shiner Slugo. Was working it real slow out of site and all of a sudden saw water swirl and knew I had a bite. Looked over to my buddy Bill and said " Got a bite, want me to set the hook?" He said to go ahead and lets see what size fish it is. I reeled down and set the hook and the big girl came up to the top and shook her head. He looked at me and said to go ahead and get her in, it was the biggest fish he had ever seen in the water. I fought the gal who took one really long tail walk away from the boat that I thought for sure would break her off. Finaly got her to the boat and she was netted while tail walking again right next to the boat. When we got her in I could literally put both of my fists in her giant mouth. Went right at 12 lbs. She had giant eye's and being from Palestine we figured she had to be a natural Texas fish, we didn't think there had been too many Florida fish in that lake. We took some pictures and let her go. I was a non boater and was sitting in 5th place after the first day and had my second day boater take me to wherever I wanted to go. He took me straight to Flat Creek and on my second cast at the same location got a bite. I set the hook and reeled in a fish. It only weighed 1 1/2 lbs but almost made my heart jump out of my chest for a second. Didn't catch another fish all day and fell to I believe 13th place but I still have pictures of my biggest bass ever.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 05:49 PM

DD22 on Richland Chambers. It was not during the Share a lunker program dates though.
Posted By: bellamy72

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 07:51 PM

Mini C/R rig in 18'fow spring time 11.41 on Joe Pool.
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 07:55 PM

Spinnerbait, mid November, Lake Fork, island at mouth of Dale.
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/15/16 11:13 PM

July 12, this year. Was on my favorite lake bream fishing. I was bream fishing because friends where coming over for supper latter that week and I was going to feed them breams. The wind was blowing hard that day, I was the only one on the lake. Was fishing a grass line that lead into creek that is about 12 feet deep and was catching breams left and right. I got to studying the situation, grass line dropping into a creek, wind blowing right into the corner of it, catching bream, I thought there had to be some bass feeding on that corner. I put down my bream rod, got my worm rod out and put on a Zoom ol monster in red plum. First cast, let it sink to bottom, pick it up once, felt the thump, set the hook. I knew right away it was big, I'm thinking 5 or 6 pounds, she made a run, I got her turned and she jumped. When I saw her, I bout near flaked right there in the boat. She made another small run, I turned her and she jumped again, and then she quit. I just reeled her to the boat and lipped her. I was going to call my brother to come meet me at the ramp and witness, but I saw a man in his yard and went over to him. He helped weigh her and she came in at 9 pounds even. He was as excited as I was. We took photos and released her. That was my PB and I am still excited about her.
Pictures are in my original post on this forum so I wont post them again. I love to fish, bass, crappie and bream, fish ever chance I get, but that was the most exciting moment of fishing life.

later...don
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 10:05 AM

Longest deep cranking. Heaviest finesse fishing.
Posted By: kiamichisooner

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 11:46 AM

Flipping a shaky head in deep timber.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 12:42 PM

watermelon red Magnum lizard T-rigged in 8-10ft of water, rockpiles at Falcon, 11.81.
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 12:59 PM

Squarebill in 0-1' of water during shad spawn....
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 06:11 PM

First week in January back in 1998 when my hair had more pepper than salt (funny how that made a complete reversal). Took my 4yo son for a morning of fun fishing and he was already bored out of his mind so I told him to let me get a few more casts and we would head for the house. Sure enough, got a slight bump and set the hook. I knew it was a good fish so I told my son to get the net which he was happy to do because he like netting them. Well this big girl came to the surface and he threw the net at her when she flared her big ole mouth and did a huge head shake. Scared the dickens out of him so with my net about ten foot from the boat I had to reach in the water to lip her.

She weighed 14.8 lbs and was 29 1/4" long and was kinda skinny. I wish I would have caught her during the spawn.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 07:04 PM

My first fish over 11 lbs was on lake Benbrook, 1989, the lake was in flood stage all the parks were shut down.
We would carry bicycles in our trucks to the gates of Dutch Branch, and pedal inside the park to fish all the new flooded timber.. We'd wade the shallows and have a blast, I pitched a black 10" worm to a bush and it shook, and the line took off..The results are in that chair below.. She was 11.3 lbs after a dry bike ride and on the floor board of my truck.. She was the only bass I've killed to mount, knowing now what opitions we have I prolly wouldn't have kept her.. This picture is right after having her restored by a friend, he did a heck of a job too.. The mount is in one of the guest rooms at the lake house now, I believe she' found a home..

This fish is my PB to date, caught on a dropshot in 6 foot of water on April 1 2008 I believe it was a Sunday. It could have been 2007 hell I don't remember, I do remember we were looking for new water to fish since we had just competed in LF Media bass tournament the day before with a JCO the next Saturday. We pull up on a little finger ridge on the Eastside of the dam and it was ON.. 4 lber-6 lber-4 lber- Boom - 12.1 lbs.. Jaw dropped, thought I had a SAL.. shaking like a dog passing a huge peach seed, I sat there a minute after she went into the livewell and smoked 2 cigarettes at once, trying to calm down..I'll never forget how Mad my Wife was, she was catching 12" fish and I was on the big one's for once.. If you knew our history, it's uaually the other way around.. LOL.
There have been other's on Ray Bob, and of course Fork, and the sweet Stock ponds...

Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 07:10 PM

11lbs in about 4' from a shallow dock at Fork in July on a Texas rigged blue fleck worm
10lbs in about 2' of water near some pads at Fork on a hollow body frog in July
10lbs in about 3' of water near a stickup on a squarebill at Richland Chambers in September
10lbs in about 3' of water from a laydown on a black/blue jig from a small lake near Mineola
10lbs on a swimbait flipped onto a bed at Fork in April

Lots of 8-9lb fish over the years but those are the only times over the last few years I can honestly claim a 10lb plus fish.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 07:50 PM

11.95lb. Lake Joe Pool, Jan, 2016. Water was 48 deg., air was 51 and wind was blowing about 15mph from south. Call her on a white swim jig in 2 ft. of water. I saw her roll on the bait about 10 ft. from the boat and thought she was about 8 or 9 lbs. She never came to the surface, ran to open water and the rest of the fight was her under the boat dogging. I did not get a good look at her until I had my hand on her bottom lip and was pulling her out of the water. That is when the OMG's started. I put her in the live well with the oxygenator running to revive her and let me stop shaking enough to get out my scales.

Took some pictures and released her. The whole fight didn't probably last 30 seconds, but it felt like 30 minutes.
Posted By: buda13

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 09:30 PM

11 lbs on an Ookii Jig

9.55 on a Square Bill

2 just over 9 on a frog
Posted By: kellisag

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 09:35 PM

9.5 on a squarebill
Posted By: blooper961

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 09:36 PM

Biggest in a pond under a tree I had to cast about 20 yards to get to.
Fish was 9 pounds and took a struggle to get in.
It kept diving into submerged grass.
It came off right at my feet.
Just took my foot and flipped him back in the water.
9 pounds was assumption.Had nothing to weigh it with,but
by girth and length about my biggest.
Posted By: Rog

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/16/16 11:08 PM

Divorced and moved into an appartment in that had a pond out my back door. Was sitting alone with nothing to do on a early March morning so grab the jig rod and hit the pond. First three cast I had a 5 then a 6 and then a 7. I said screw this I am going to Roberts the big girls are biting. Got there around 2:00 and headed to a inside grass line in Indian. I quickly had 6 two to three pound fish in the boat with the troll motor dragging the bottom on the bank and big motor in the grass to keep the wind from blowing me too fast. Made a cast to some isolated clumps of milfoil on a small point and felt the thump as the fluke fell to the bottom. She never really jumped and I got her in without a net in what seemed record time. 14.1 on my scale. 13.9 on TPWD scale a few hours later.

Last one is my son at around 8. I will never laugh so hard again as I did watching him lay on the front deck trying to reel in that 10plus pound hybrid. Next one is on initial hook up before he went down. Lol

Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/25/16 06:38 AM

Lake Record????? Explain
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/25/16 01:32 PM

10 lbs 14 oz - Lake Leon - 1/2 oz Homemade Flipping Jig - 8 feet - Dock - November
10 lbs 08 oz - Oak Creek - Sapphire Blue Sweet Beaver - 2 feet - Bush - August
10 lbs 05 oz - Novice - Lizard - 2 Feet - Bed - March
10 lbs 01 oz - OH Ivie - Storm Wiggle Wart - 12 feet - Rocks - January
10 lbs 00 oz - Nasworthy - Sapphire Blue Sweet Beaver - 5 feet - Dock - January
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/25/16 06:12 PM

Caught while fishing for Crappie using an ultra light with six pound test line. Fish was 26" in length and weighed 12.11 pounds. Current Guadalupe River LMB Record and Catch&Release record! coolio

Posted By: plasma800

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/25/16 06:54 PM

... By accident ... nuts bannana2
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/25/16 08:21 PM

Storm Wild Eye - post spawn
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/25/16 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
My first fish over 11 lbs was on lake Benbrook, 1989, the lake was in flood stage all the parks were shut down.
We would carry bicycles in our trucks to the gates of Dutch Branch, and pedal inside the park to fish all the new flooded timber.. We'd wade the shallows and have a blast, I pitched a black 10" worm to a bush and it shook, and the line took off..The results are in that chair below.. She was 11.3 lbs after a dry bike ride and on the floor board of my truck.. She was the only bass I've killed to mount, knowing now what opitions we have I prolly wouldn't have kept her.. This picture is right after having her restored by a friend, he did a heck of a job too.. The mount is in one of the guest rooms at the lake house now, I believe she' found a home..

This fish is my PB to date, caught on a dropshot in 6 foot of water on April 1 2008 I believe it was a Sunday. It could have been 2007 hell I don't remember, I do remember we were looking for new water to fish since we had just competed in LF Media bass tournament the day before with a JCO the next Saturday. We pull up on a little finger ridge on the Eastside of the dam and it was ON.. 4 lber-6 lber-4 lber- Boom - 12.1 lbs.. Jaw dropped, thought I had a SAL.. shaking like a dog passing a huge peach seed, I sat there a minute after she went into the livewell and smoked 2 cigarettes at once, trying to calm down..I'll never forget how Mad my Wife was, she was catching 12" fish and I was on the big one's for once.. If you knew our history, it's uaually the other way around.. LOL.
There have been other's on Ray Bob, and of course Fork, and the sweet Stock ponds...

I call dis chit braggin! cheers

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/26/16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

Those are Hawgs buddy! That 12 looks like she is barely 24"! What a bass!
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/26/16 12:28 PM

9.4 on a crome castmaster spoon, 40 feet deep in winter.
Posted By: turbo2nr

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/27/16 04:38 AM

9.56, eagle mountan last February on a kvd splash in bone. As far as I could cast she bit 2 pops in . quite a fight from that far away.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/27/16 04:50 AM

Cool stories and pics!
Posted By: JKib

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 08/27/16 05:36 AM

Last January 2nd on Sam Rayburn. We had been up there duck hunting for a few days and it was slow at best so on the last evening I decided to hook onto the bass boat and do some fishing. We fished for maybe an hour that evening and it was just one of those trips were everything lined up in our favor, had 2 limits in the boat for a fish fry and had already CPR 2 around 5 lbs when I caught my best to date, a 9.6. All the fish were caught on a rattletrap in 8ft of water
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/01/16 01:10 AM

I don't bass fish any but do have an interesting catch, one day coming from work I found a rod combo on the road, the reel was junk, while feeding livestock I saw some fish hitting bugs in the pond, I got the rod I found, a spinning rod and put my ABU 5000 on it that was in the truck as it was all I had at the time, I also found an old Bomber with the rod so tired it on, in 1 hour or less of casting I caught 5 fish and quit as I had been up working all night, the 5 were 2-8's , 2-6's , 1-4 lb bass, I had no idea our pond had those in it. All released as I was too tired to clean them. Since then I could not count all we have caught out of the pond here.
The old white glitter bomber only had 1 hook and was all bent up.

Striper would be 27.3 lbs on Redfin 900 Rainbow trout color
Posted By: guntz67

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/01/16 01:48 AM

My 12.44 came from Lake Aquilla on a t-rig Archie Lizard Watermelon Red . I hooked her 3 days in a roll before I got her out of the trees .March 19 1997
Posted By: armadilla

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/01/16 02:45 PM

Aquilla has some huge horses....
Posted By: shiv

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/01/16 09:45 PM

Had two DD. 1990 lake fork Carolina rig using a French fry. The other was 1996 at big Sam on a Zara spook. Both just over 10
Posted By: RODS454

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/29/16 02:31 PM

No DD for me. 8.36 at Bardwell July 2,2016, fishing for hybrids with a 1 oz. Little George.
Posted By: DuctsZX250

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/29/16 03:43 PM

11.24 Lake Ray Hubbard May 11, 2013
T-Rig 8" Lake Fork Tackle Worm
A day I will never forget!
Posted By: Connor S

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/29/16 04:06 PM

Jake, Colorado or LLano? what time of year? If you don't mind spilling the beans on this one wink
Posted By: lure buddy

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/29/16 04:19 PM

Jig off the nest. Was with my dad was a great time.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/29/16 08:15 PM

Just started bass fishing this summer. Caught approx a 7 fishing at a smaller soil conservation lake in east Texas. Was in a Jon boat, and flipped a 5 inch zoom lizard t rigged into the brush. Maybe 4 feet of water. Slowly lifted it back towards me. At the time I only owned one rod: 6'6" bait caster from dicks for 30 bucks. And it was spooled with 8lb mono as I had just been in Colorado on a family trip and fished for trout. Anyways, Set the hook on the fish, she rolled to the surface and I see how big she is, I know I don't have a net, and my newbie self tries to boat flip her. The line snaps as she's mid air, and she flops right into the Jon boat. I'm cussing the whole time. I got both hands on her quick and then I was pumped. She was a 7 on an old rusty scale my grandpa had, but I'll always think she was probably bigger. Got hooked on fishing ever since.
Posted By: Wayne McLean

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/29/16 08:31 PM

My only double digit (actually 9.98 after she puked about 15 threadfin shad!) May 29, 2013 on Lake Fork fishing a 1/1/4 ounce football jig--howling wind--we would cast, let out line and drift over this hump.
Taken three nines, many eights, and dozens of sevens, mostly on Joe Pool or Fork.
Posted By: jade_bates06

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/30/16 01:08 PM

My biggest bass was complete luck! I was about 10 years old in the back of glade at lake fork! This was back when 3/4 of glade had hydrilla to the surface! We had been catching dinks all day on weightless flukes! I decided to pull out my crappie pole with a boo yah pond magic! She bit and jumped once my dad was coaching me telling to turn my drag all the way down! All of a sudden she dove down in the grass and we thought she hung me up and got off we troll over to where I thought I was hung and start moving the grass around with a push pole and we see her wrapped up in the grass! 25 in. 10.3
Posted By: Battson34

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/30/16 04:15 PM

Weightless fluke.
Posted By: Colin Pack94

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 09/30/16 08:06 PM

Man this thread makes me miss lake austin, during the hydrilla days. My three biggest are 13.45,12.57, and 11.5. The lunker was on 8 pound line, talk about nervous. Drop Shot and paddle tail swimbait.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 10/01/16 12:55 AM

3/4 oz Oldham jig...paca claw trailer...green pumpkin....falcon lake...10.97lbs....
Posted By: BThomas

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 10/01/16 02:13 AM

Matt Lures shad swim bait.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 10/01/16 02:49 AM

Crappie jig. Just a hair over 13. Figured huh?
Posted By: march16.12

Re: How did you catch your biggest bass? - 10/01/16 01:13 PM

Flipped watermelon red lizard in 10 foot of water and set the hook
on 16.12 pound bass that now is number 18 on "Texas Top 50 ".
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum