Texas Fishing Forum

St croix mojo bass rods

Posted By: dreamweaver96

St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 08:26 AM

Hey guys. I'm heading off to college soon and I don't have the budget for top of the line gear. I've got a abu garcia Veritas and a tp1 speed stick. I like both of them alright but I'm wondering if going with a st croix, albeit a bottom line one, will I gain any advantage or are all the rods around the 100 dollar mark about the same in terms of quality and performance? Thanks yall
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 10:20 AM

I had the st croix mojo bass flipping rod. I wasn't impressed. Like Abby Garcia better
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 10:38 AM

I think St croix just revamped the mojo bass line last year and made them more sensitive and lighter..
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 10:42 AM

I have a dozen or more St. Croix rods and like the Mojo plastics rod for my Texas rig. The spinnerbait rod is good too. I recommend them.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 10:44 AM

The Premier series from St.Croix is a better rod and within a few bucks of the Mojo, can be found at BPS. Plus the Premier is made in the USA where the Mojo is made in Mexico...just say'n
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 01:04 PM

I havnt had a Mojo in a few years. I guess they redid them. Use to be a little heavy compared to others in the price range, and I noticed that they went up in price when I was at BPS the other day. I wouldn't use them if it were me.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 01:04 PM

I still have some mojos I bought in 2009. They may not be the best, but they caught alot of fish. For the money id choose carbon lites over mojos.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 01:47 PM

I have a mojo spinning rod I use for shakey head and drop shot and I love it!
Posted By: Superslab

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 01:52 PM

I have a 4 year old Mojo Bass and it is a very good rod. Yes, the older ones were a little heavy but it is very well made and durable. I also have a Veritas 2.0 winch crankbait rod that I really like. I don't think you would gain much with either rod since it is mostly going to be personal preference at that price point. I would go with what feels best to you, but I agree with BMCD that for around $100 I'd go with a BPS Carbon Lite rod - I don't think the eyelet quality is as good as a Mojo Bass or Veritas but I love the feel and action.

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 04:23 PM

How are the duckett rods?? I've been looking at the ghost and terex series. I've heard the micro guides are easily breakable. Anyone have any issues with this?
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 05:24 PM

I've gone through about 3 St. Croix Mojo rods in the past two years. I've finally learned my lesson. They make them in Mexico now and in my opinion they are junk. The eyelet inserts on at least one of the guides falls out every year. In my opinion duckett makes a better rod at that price point.

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I've gone through about 3 St. Croix Mojo rods in the past two years. I've finally learned my lesson. They make them in Mexico now and in my opinion they are junk. The eyelet inserts on at least one of the guides falls out every year. In my opinion duckett makes a better rod at that price point.

Thank you. Looks like I'm going with the duckett

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 06:18 PM

Broke Duckett ghost on my second trip with it my partner made 5 trips before he did the same.

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 06:19 PM

Duckett Ghost is made in China production rod.
Posted By: Drodge

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 06:46 PM

Check out the Powell infernos. Pretty sure they are right there in that price range. $30 warranty if anything happens.
Posted By: JasonB23

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 06:55 PM

St croix mojo has a 5 year warranty for only like 20 bucks.
If u live in Dallas Fishing World will give you a discount if u pay cash.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:07 PM

Don't get duckett. Guides aren't any good and they break on casts and hook sets

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:19 PM

What about the duckett terex that doesn't have those micro guides?
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:24 PM

The Veritas line is pretty solid for the price, as is the Mojo. I'd say pick which one feels better in your hand because both lines are in the same ball-park on durability and performance (as far as I can tell). I can't say the same for Ducketts... they feel excellent but are more fragile than their competitor brands at the same price.

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
The Veritas line is pretty solid for the price, as is the Mojo. I'd say pick which one feels better in your hand because both lines are in the same ball-park on durability and performance (as far as I can tell). I can't say the same for Ducketts... they feel excellent but are more fragile than their competitor brands at the same price.

Okay thank yall
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:35 PM

I think for that price Falcon Bucoo is great Rod
Posted By: Barn

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hookinbass

I wanted to like the Mojo rods but I traded it back in after it felt too heavy and not as sensitive. The BuCoo appear to better quality for the price.

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 07:58 PM

Yep!
Posted By: lodell23

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1

Yep!
+1

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 08:36 PM

The bucoo is what one of my buddies recommended. I think that's what I'm going with
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 08:39 PM

The Bucoo is absolutely superior to the Veritas and Mojo's. Great rods all around.
Posted By: tracker_kyle

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 09:08 PM

I like my Mojos, that being said. If you are headed off to college, and are planning on joining a college team, you may want to hold off on buying a rod. Most college programs will have some sort of deal with a rod company or tackle shop where you can get much higher dollar rods for the price of a Mojo or similarly priced rod.
Posted By: pwarren

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 09:39 PM

I've used a mojo bass for the past 2 years as my texas rig rod. It's ok, but I definitely want something else. I heard the Falcon Bucoo rod is really good around that price.

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: tracker_kyle
I like my Mojos, that being said. If you are headed off to college, and are planning on joining a college team, you may want to hold off on buying a rod. Most college programs will have some sort of deal with a rod company or tackle shop where you can get much higher dollar rods for the price of a Mojo or similarly priced rod.

My school doesn't have a team. I'm trying to get one started but we'll see how that goes.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/11/16 10:57 PM

I have 4 ducketts. I have not had any problems with them. I have heard some people have. For the money I think they are as good as any rod.
Posted By: "Ol Spookin

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/12/16 12:32 AM

^^^^^^^^ Yep
Posted By: Yankee Fool

Re: St croix mojo bass rods - 08/12/16 04:46 AM

I have a couple of the older Mojos. Definitely NOT impressed. Heavy and dull. The Duckett Micro Magic Pro is the most sensitive rod I have fished, although I did have one break on a boat flip the other day. The micro guides on that model are very sturdy (for micro guides). BPS rods are decent but their microguides will break within a few months, so if you're getting a carbonlite you'd have to get regular guides. Also no need to buy new rods. Check TFF classifieds and ebay etc and you can get a top of the line rod for near half price. Ultimately you get what you pay for. Unless they are used.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum