Texas Fishing Forum

Reason for big hooks?

Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:19 AM

Just curious. Why do a lot of you guys use 5/0 or even 4/0 hooks? I see that seems to be the majority of what is suggested on here. I've never had a reason to only if that's what came on a jig or lure. I've never straightened 3/0 or even a 2/0 that I can think of on a bass. I've been with buddies that "straightened" a hook on a fish and looked more like a log to me. I personally feel that a thinner hook gets me better penetration and I felt like I used to lose more fish with poor hook set do to bigger hook then anything else.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:21 AM

I mostly use 3/0 for plastics. Haven't ever straightened a hook either.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:26 AM

So u throw a 3/0 on a 10" worm or on a flipping tube or a 7" swimbait? Every Bair every application has a hook that works best for it. I've got hooks from a #1 mosquito hook for drop shots to a 10/0 ewg screw lock for swimbaits.

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:41 AM

Before this takes a left turn. Talking basics. Not people looking for that one giant bite throwing big swim bait all day at El Salto or some big fish fishery.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
So u throw a 3/0 on a 10" worm or on a flipping tube or a 7" swimbait? Every Bair every application has a hook that works best for it. I've got hooks from a #1 mosquito hook for drop shots to a 10/0 ewg screw lock for swimbaits.
this....

Some plastics are simply too bulky to allow a good hookset with a smaller hook. And, likewise, Roboworms are too tiny to even correctly rig onto a large hook. So, like above, every bait had an optimum hook shape and size.

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 03:17 AM

Guess need to simplify for some. If I posted " hey what hook do you suggest for a brush hog" it would get flooded with all brands of 5/0 and 4/0 hooks with all shapes. My point is why 5/0 and 4/0? I'm not looking for advice. Allllllllll just curiosity to hearing the reasons
Posted By: GROD

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 03:32 AM

Well a full size brush hog I would use a 4/0 or maybe even a 5/0... Not sure why you feel these hooks are so big... Have you seen the mouth on a 8-9lb bass??? On a baby brush hog I do use 2/0 - 3/0 hooks...
Now I have bent many thin wire hooks... Doesn't have to be a giant bass to bend a thin wire hook... Have also caught some 8-9lb bass on thin wire hooks with no issues... As mentioned above though I also use some super tiny hooks... All depends on the application, bait size and thickness, and what I feel confident in.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 03:32 AM

Well....a thinner hook is available in a 5/0 and a 4/0. So.....simplify a little more for me. Are you confusing hook size with wire thickness that the hook is being made from? Or, are you wanting to know why someone is suggesting a huge hook, or a thick hook? Both?

If someone asked me what hook is suggested for a 6" lizard, I'd probably say 4/0, since that is what is printed on the packages that zoom lizards come in. I wouldn't suggest a "super line" 4/0 since that is a brutal heavy hook that is designed for braid. Unless you were wanting to use it with a big punching weight and 65lb braid...then I'd say get a thick EWG 4/0.

I guess I don't really know if you are asking a question or venting.

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 03:48 AM

Thick v thin. Guess wasn't made clear in first sorry.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 03:58 AM

Im in Colo and hevent used a 3/0 at all this year and maybe once or twice last year.

I like a hook that takes up the entire bait or as much as possible as I believe my landing percentages are higher with the larger hooks.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 04:07 AM

True depends on what you're rigging it on. I rarely throw worms and I throw my swimbaits on jig heads. I throw my creature baits on 3/0 or 4/0 if screw lock.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
Thick v thin. Guess wasn't made clear in first sorry.

If flipping heavy cover with 65lb braid with let's say a Rage Craw, you'd want a 4/0 thick flipping hook. A thin wire hook in that situation could easily get bent or not penetrate enough through the cover + a 3lbers mouth/upper jaw.

The same 3lb bass (that was in heavy cover in the above example) in open water fishing a finesse worm on a drop shot on 8lb test line, you would want a fine wire 1/0 or 2/0 octopus hook. On 8lb test and the reel/pull hook set with drop shot, you want a fine wire hook to pierce through the upper jaw--using a 4/0 thick wire hook in that situation, you would most likely either break the line or not get a good penetration into the jaw with the reel/pull hook set.

3lb bass on a crig with average amount of line out fishing a finesse worm--thin wire hook (probably a 2/0 offset roundbend)
3lb bass on a crig with average amount of line out fishing a thick craw tube--thick wire hook (probably a 4/0 superline hook)

So, the type of hook for each situation varies depending on multiple variables including:
line type
line size
rod strength and action
long casts or short casts
plastic length
plastic width/thickness/hollow body plastic or not
appendages/no appendages and overall shape of the plastic
amount/density and type of cover you are fishing
type of hookset you use for that particular technique
what you have confidence in

In general, the less stretch the line, the shorter the cast, the thicker the plastic, the thicker the cover the more likely I'd use a thick guage wire hook.

For long, thin plastics with no appendages (regular worms), I prefer the shortest hook I can get away with (the shorter the hook, the more action the worm)
For bulky, wide/thick plastics, the thicker the hook I can get away with: I have more confidence with hook with lots of space between the hook point and shank (like a flipping hook)

If you want to simplify and use one type of hook for all situations, a decent hedge (might not be the best for all situations, but good enough) would be to use 1/0 to 6/0 superline hooks (needle-like point, put with thicker gauge)

Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 01:05 PM

^^^ This... It depends on what I'm trying to do. I will use a 5 or 6 in really thick trees with braid. May only use a 4 in grass.
Posted By: C.C. Near Nuthin

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 01:16 PM

I use thin hooks in most applications. It cuts thru the worm better and into the tough parts a fish better than a thick hook. you have to be ready to work the fish and the amount of pressure applied if you get a good one on. They will straighten with too much pressure. But you can also get some of your expensive tungsten back as well with the thin hooks. I only use the thick hooks in really heavy stuff, with braid and a heavy rod and a hammering hook set.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 01:37 PM

In Mexico and a few private lakes, you need a 7" Senko to catch the big ones.

That bait simply swallows lesser hooks and as mentioned, beefy line lets you use one with more rigidity and thickness.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:02 PM

Pliers, Crescent Wrench, Flathead or Phillips Screwdriver- They are all for specific purposes. Match the hook to the bait size, bulk, length, and the application you are trying to accomlish. One Size for ALL is NOT always a good option if you have an assortment of techniques and baits.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:30 PM

I don't use any thin wire hooks I set the hook hard use non stretch line and a tight drag so hook penetration is never really an issue. I really like a 3/0 gama EWG super line hook for a brush hog, 4/0 for senko and other creature baits then 5/0-7/0 for big worms and flukes. Any bait thats getting pitched into a bush or shallow laydown with my flipping stick gets a 4/0-5/0 owner jungle flipping hook
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:41 PM

Just curious. Why do a lot of you guys use 5/0 or even 4/0 hooks? I see that seems to be the majority of what is suggested on here. I've never had a reason to only if that's what came on a jig or lure. I've never straightened 3/0 or even a 2/0 that I can think of on a bass. I've been with buddies that "straightened" a hook on a fish and looked more like a log to me. I personally feel that a thinner hook gets me better penetration and I felt like I used to lose more fish with poor hook set do to bigger hook then anything else.

A thinner hook does get better penetration thru the worm and into a fishes mouth. If you are sitting back and casting a bait you will probably never straighten out a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. However a lot of guys pitch or flip baits into heavy grass or brush. When you do this you have to adjust your tackle. 50-65 pound braid and large heavy wire hooks are a must when doing this. It's not an ego thing to use big line & heavy hooks, it's just selecting the right tool for the job at hand like some of the others have said.

Greg Hackney did an article shortly after winning at Texoma. He was making a case for why he used heavy braided line even though some think it will cost you bites. I will try to find it and post it on this thread. The same principles can be applied to hooks. I wouldn't use a 5/0 heavy wire wide gap hook in a Zoom Trick Worm but I most likely would a Magnum Fluke or an Old Monster worm.

make sense?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:43 PM

Here it is. Good read from a great angler.

http://bassblaster.bassgold.com/greg-hackneys-braid-flipping-system
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 02:59 PM

lose more fish with poor hook set do to bigger hook then anything else.

What does the hook on the end of your line have to do with a poor hookset?hmmm

Match your hook with your setup and presentation, there is usually a size guide on your soft plastic bag for that. Simple.

The best piece of advise I can give you if you're worried about hook penetration is to practice your hookset.
At home.
On a thick piece of cardboard.
With different hook sizes, gauges, lines and rods. You'll learn a lot about how you really need to set a hook for each setup to get proper penetration.

It may surprise you how difficult it is to get proper penetration of a thick piece of cardboard and it will improve your technique.

Tight lines
Posted By: Green Fish

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 05:31 PM

Ok, so thick hook vs thin hook.

Over the years I've moved to more thin hooks for my TR plastics...cover and technique dependent of course. My experience has been that for most TR plastics applications, a thin hook penetrates much better/easier than a thick hook. Think about a raw potato and try to push a nail in the potato vs pushing a pin in the potato...the pin will go into the potato with much less force.

As for 5-0 and 4-0 vs 3-0 and 2-0...that is dependent on the size of the plastic.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 05:48 PM

I have and do the same.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/09/16 05:50 PM

Match the hook to your bait as others have suggested. I try to match everything up including hook, bait, line, rod and reel.

More importantly, if you are fishing for big bass you need the larger hook to get the barb penetration you need. Have you ever paid attention to the thickness of jaw bone on a big bass? Its thick. So pay attention to the distance between the barb and the bottom of the hook. In my rookie days I lost a lot of double digit size bass because I was using a hook too small and not much distance between the barb and bottom of the hook. When I changed to a larger hook I started landing them big mommas.

If I were fishing where little bass were most common like some of these ridiculous places you see the bass pro's forced to fish, I would downsize everything.

If you are in big bass waters you better have the gear to land one if you are lucky enough to get one on the other end of your line. The hook is where all the business is conducted. So be sure yours is sharp and large enough to sink the barb.

Long story short, match it all up best you can.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 12:37 AM

To me it's like a mechanic... He's not going to use a crescent wrench for every job. It's about what tool works best in the given situation. Or like using a breaker bar on a oil pan drain plug, you will destroy it. There are certain applications for each tool or in this case a hook.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 04:06 AM

I use heavy hooks on all plastics. Thin hooks flex, flex robs penetrating power. If everything worked in straight lines like the pin and nail in the potato analogy I would agree thin penetrates better. But since we are pulling at an angle I'll keep using heavy hooks that don't flex,skip and tear.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 02:43 PM

I personally use multiple sizes based on bait size but not many different types. There are just some baits you can't put on a 3/0 because it would consume the hook and not give you the best chance for a hook up(12" worm for example). I basically see how bulky the bait is and go from there which hook I want to put it on.
Posted By: Bass_Fanatic

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: adam_p
I use heavy hooks on all plastics. Thin hooks flex, flex robs penetrating power. If everything worked in straight lines like the pin and nail in the potato analogy I would agree thin penetrates better. But since we are pulling at an angle I'll keep using heavy hooks that don't flex,skip and tear.

This! Put a thin wire ewg and a super line ewg on a piece of cardboard and pull. The thin wire will flex and not penetrate as easily as a super line hook. Sounds wrong, but try it for yourself.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 05:53 PM

I use a #1 size up to a 10/0. It all depends on the bait I am fishing.
Posted By: Gingerbread Man

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 06:27 PM

Simple physics actually and the potato analogy is a pretty darn good one. All things being equal, a thin hook will penetrate easier than a thick hook, and a sharp hook will penetrate easier than a dull hook.

Below is from Edwin Evers on the importance of a hook's diameter. ( I figure he knows a little bit about Bass Fishing)

"Since today's hooks are almost all very sharp, it's usually other qualities I'm looking for when selecting a hook. One of the big factors is diameter. Basically, I want hooks that are thin and strong, but those two qualities are typically at the opposite ends of the spectrum from each other. Thin hooks are not the strongest, but they penetrate well on the hookset. Thick hooks are very strong, but it takes more to get good penetration. Generally, if I'm using light line or making long casts, I'm going to use a light, thin-diameter hook. If I'm using heavy line and fishing close, I can get away with a thicker, heavier hook. "
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Reason for big hooks? - 08/10/16 07:19 PM

I agree with most comment here. A thicker body or longer worm needs a larger hood for better hook set. If you look at what a 10+ inch worm or big craw looks like when it bunches up on a hook... you will understand the reason for so many near misses.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum