Texas Fishing Forum

Curious and only Curious

Posted By: jhall239

Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 06:32 PM

Not going to have one myself but

Has anyone bought one of those 24" Garmins yet?
Just looked at them for kicks and grins and a fellow could buy a fairly nice used boat for the cost of that thing
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 06:44 PM

I would assume those are more for a commercial fisherman/offshore guy. That screen is ridiculous big and I would think it would be cumbersome in a bass rig. At a little under $12,000 I will never know what they are like.
Posted By: Gangster

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jhall239

Just looked at them for kicks and grins and a fellow could buy a fairly nice used boat for the cost of that thing

I understand the technology but what happened to the days where the best you could do is depth, structure, and temp on a unit? Seems the new technology takes the "fishing" out of fishing. I thought the allure of this was to try to piece the puzzle together.

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Gangster
Originally Posted By: jhall239

I understand the technology but what happened to the days where the best you could do is depth, structure, and temp on a unit? Seems the new technology takes the "fishing" out of fishing. I thought the allure of this was to try to piece the puzzle together.

For the average tournament guy and the just normal angler that is a great concept but if you make your living by either guiding or touring the simplicity factor goes out the window and you want/need every advantage you can get to get on the fish. A lot of pros comment on seminars about keeping it simple, look at their set up and it's anything but for most of them. It's high tech graphs, super sonic bass boats, light up crank baits, fish calling devices etc.... I can't blame them one bit, if I was in it for my living I would want/have the latest and greatest of anything I could get my hands on. It's no different really than the evolution from the typewriter to the MacBook.
Posted By: Gangster

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 07:25 PM

Epic, i was referring to us weekend guys. And since the Pro's get them free and guides can write them off I understand. Like you unless the lottery comes thru all I can do is look at them.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 08:11 PM

That series is designed for blue water boat and has a glass screen. When your spending 500k plus on a big offshore boat what's 12k on a graph?

Hackney runs the 16" screen on his boat though and I still haven't figured out how he sees over it. I'm running a 9" garmin and I would love the 12" garmin but I'm not spending 3k on a graph.

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 08:55 PM

Epic, i was referring to us weekend guys. And since the Pro's get them free and guides can write them off I understand. Like you unless the lottery comes thru all I can do is look at them.

I knew, I was just adding that into it, I see they way you think and I like the mindset of piecing the puzzle together and walking through it.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 10:46 PM

Really old timers could ask you the same question about your gear and even your "old" fish finder when they went out with cane poles and caught fish with no electronics out of a row boat. I myself, enjoy catching more than fishing.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/05/16 11:00 PM

^^^^^ This is true, but there weren't near as many fisherman say 30-40 years ago as there are now. Now granted there was no such thing as catch and release back then either... But definitely more fishing pressure on the lakes these days. I compare bass fishing technology to golf technology... Look at the clubs and golf balls used now days compared to the old days... Like night and day; Same goes for bass fishing. I know a day on the water beats the heck out of a day at work though, catching or not!
Posted By: Wildkow

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/06/16 06:20 PM

Let me see . . . hmmm

I could buy four 12" units and have the equivalent of 2X or 48" of screen space for the same money. plus

I would have quadruple redundancy
four full 12" screens with different views
4X SD memory and map slots

etc. etc. etc.

or I could buy three for $9K, put two at the console, one up front and have $3K left over to go fishing.

decisions decisions decisions . . . banana
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/06/16 06:25 PM

Wow...that'll put a new top end rig over 100k all loaded up...sad...
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Curious and only Curious - 08/06/16 08:13 PM

It would surprise you how many actually pay for their graphs. If an additional 5k might give you an advantage, you will do your best to win.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum