Texas Fishing Forum

CRANKBAIT HELP!

Posted By: golferflash

CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 01:49 PM

Ok guys, I have started deep cranking a lot this year, and though I don't get a ton of bites, the ones I do are pretty solid. My problem is I am losing probably 30-40% of the fish I hook. I like to use the KVD "XD" series but maybe I should change the hooks out. Any hook suggestions? Or tips?
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 01:55 PM

What rod are you using?

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 01:56 PM

7Ft Halo cranking rod
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 02:15 PM

The reality is you can do everything right and still lose a lot of fish on treble hooks as compared to a single hook. There are things you can do to improve your landing percentage, i.e. hooks, rod, landing strategy etc... If I land 75% of hooked fish on deep cranks I feel like I had a pretty good night. For single hook soft plastics the number is probably closer to 90%+. Fishing is like any other sport as well, things can get streaky. I've had days where I'm beside myself because my landing percentage is in the tank. The next day using the exact same setup I might bat 1000.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 02:20 PM

Let me be the first of 100 people on here to tell you to change the hooks to KVD Mustad short shank triple grips.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 02:27 PM

Mustad Triple Grips.. Or any EWG treble, the further the hook point is is faced in the better the hooks hold. You can also add an extra split ring to the rear hook.

Let the king, KVD, tell you himself

http://www.bassmaster.com/gear/when-vandam-gets-treble

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1670135-kvd-s-tournament-winning-cranking-system

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mustad_KV...tml?from=w2fish

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
Let me be the first of 100 people on here to tell you to change the hooks to KVD Mustad short shank triple grips.

For 6xd what size are you using?
Also, how did you do at Palestine? I had a very tough day. 1 fish for 1.76lbs. I did hang a 5 lber on a 6xd with about 30 minutes to go and had it to the boat, trying to wear it out and it shook off. (I had to try to wear it out bc my boater didn't have a net!
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: golferflash

Also, how did you do at Palestine? I had a very tough day. 1 fish for 1.76lbs. I did hang a 5 lber on a 6xd with about 30 minutes to go and had it to the boat, trying to wear it out and it shook off. (I had to try to wear it out bc my boater didn't have a net!

Size 1 on a 6XD. We fished docks all day and the morning it was like the dead sea. Bite got better about 11 but too many little ones. I weighed 2 for 3.72 and my boater weighed 2 for 4.03. He had a big one wrap him around a dock piling and break off. Your boater not having a net when fishing deep cranks?? Ouch...
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 03:23 PM

Use a rod specifically designed for a CB. It has to have a soft tip. Next put a split ring between the CB and the hook. Also use a short shank hook. You should see a huge increase in your catch rate. Good luck!

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 04:20 PM

Size 1 on a 6XD. We fished docks all day and the morning it was like the dead sea. Bite got better about 11 but too many little ones. I weighed 2 for 3.72 and my boater weighed 2 for 4.03. He had a big one wrap him around a dock piling and break off. Your boater not having a net when fishing deep cranks?? Ouch...

We fished docks mainly until the last hour. He asked me if I had any suggestions so I took him to a deep spot so I could Crank!!! That's when I finally caught a keeper and had that one good one get off. I caught a lot of fish under the docks, but all shorts.

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Yeager
Use a rod specifically designed for a CB. It has to have a soft tip. Next put a split ring between the CB and the hook. Also use a short shank hook. You should see a huge increase in your catch rate. Good luck!

Any particular split ring you prefer?
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/01/16 08:59 PM

I allways use two split rings on my cranks.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/02/16 02:01 AM

What I have done for YEARS and I have preached this on here before, is loosen my drag so a 3lb bass can pull a little drag. THIS keeps the fish buttoned and not rip the hooks out. A LOT of people have started doing this to keep from ripping all the hooks out. It keeps them buttoned and when you get a big fish that wants to run, LET IT. Once it tires out, if you want, you can increase the drag to get them in, just remember to set it back to a 3lb DRAG again, once you are done. Get a GREAT HOOK SET and then let the fish tow you where ever they want to go and let them pull drag, unless cover is in the way, but that is another situation that calls for other modifications. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/02/16 03:31 AM

Try Changing the rear hooks to the next size up . wink
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/02/16 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: CrankBait1007
Try Changing the rear hooks to the next size up . wink

Welcome back stranger!
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/02/16 12:02 PM

Triple Grips do help
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/02/16 02:42 PM

I have had good luck with the old Excalibur Rotating style hooks. I take my regular ones and bend/rotate them.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/02/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Yeager

Any particular split ring you prefer?

Definitely Owner Hyperwire rings
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/03/16 02:41 PM

Long soft rod, loose drag and a good hook set while thumbing the spool. I dont ever change hooks while fun fishing and a hardly ever loose any fish. 12-15lb mono.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/03/16 05:57 PM

There are several goon ones out there. Just make sure you stay with a reputable brand. Owner is a great one. Also, I didn't clarify this but on my cb's and top waters, as mentioned after I posted, use two on each hook.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/05/16 06:22 AM

Dumb question, but what does using 2 split rings on each hook accomplish?
Posted By: hairball

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/05/16 08:28 AM

Are you noticing a pattern to when you are losing them? Like at the boat or when they first jump or is it random?
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: CRANKBAIT HELP! - 08/05/16 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
What I have done for YEARS and I have preached this on here before, is loosen my drag so a 3lb bass can pull a little drag. THIS keeps the fish buttoned and not rip the hooks out. A LOT of people have started doing this to keep from ripping all the hooks out. It keeps them buttoned and when you get a big fish that wants to run, LET IT. Once it tires out, if you want, you can increase the drag to get them in, just remember to set it back to a 3lb DRAG again, once you are done. Get a GREAT HOOK SET and then let the fish tow you where ever they want to go and let them pull drag, unless cover is in the way, but that is another situation that calls for other modifications. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Yes! Biggest mistake I see people make with cranks is trying to overpower the fish, like you do a flipping bait or some other bottom bouncing presentations. Too stiff a rod also is a big error. Just load the rod and slowly work them to the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum