Texas Fishing Forum

Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro?

Posted By: LeonSulak

Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:27 PM

Looking at two boats for the same price.

2006 Skeeter ZX 190 w/ 175hp Yamaha
18.5ft

Or

2008 Nitro NX 898 w/ 225hp Merc
22.5ft

Any opinions on either one or which you would prefer?
Curious if the older Skeeter is a better buy even if it is smaller

Thank you in advance!
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:36 PM

22.5 ft? Are you sure about that?
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:38 PM

Both will fish very well....depends on what your personal wants are. Lots of variables to consider....prices, limitations on where to store boat, condition of each boat and motor (carpet, seats, transom, etc), local outboard mechanics, your first impression of each. If you have the room and both boats are in great condition, and prices are in your range, why not get the larger rig? The larger boat and motor will be nice on large lakes. I don't have room for a larger boat and mostly fish the river so my 19' rig is perfect for me.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:40 PM

No. Just going off what I read.
Posted By: wconn33

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:49 PM

The 898 is a 20 foot boat.

What are the asking prices?

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:57 PM

They are both about 15k.

Didnt know if the 2 feet made a huge difference fishing or a smooth ride. Also wondering how nitro compares to skeeter.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 08:59 PM

The Skeeter ZX190 w- Yamaha is the best, however I may be partial cause that's what I have. Only difference is my motor is a SHO.
thumb
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 09:05 PM

The 898 has a porpoising issue. Might have to add a fin to stop it.

Google nitro 898 porpoising if you don't believe me.

I would avoid it.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 09:27 PM

I am partial to Skeeter
Never ridden in these two particular models but have been in 2009 nitro and I wouldn't recommend it coulda been the driver in the Nitro
I will stick with my skeeter though
Posted By: wconn33

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 09:41 PM

The nitro is 2 years newer with a bigger motor and is a longer boat which will be nice on windy days on Toledo. But the skeeter is a nice boat also. Just go with your gut on which will work best for you.

Also what kind of electronics does each boat have?
Posted By: JT Evans

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 09:57 PM

Motor hours and maintenance records would be my first thought. Then the electronics etc.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: loves2fish

18.5ft

Or

22.5ft

Thank you in advance!

Just thought I'd share my experience.... The market is flooded with boats like those. You can find a sweet deal or a guy in a pickle that needs the cash if you will keep looking at boats like that. There are tons of them available in our great state. I spent just a bit more than that but found a 21i with every bell and whistle on it because there are so many out there. People get rid of them at that age. Don't be scared to keep searching and make some fair to low offers on the ones you want. If you aren't in a hurry, you can save a bundle but of course you have to be flexible on colors and such.

My concerns from the above would be the porposing on the Skeeter and the quality of the hinges, latches, hardware, etc on the Nitro. Mine has a small wedge added under the jack plate so I don't have any porposing issues but obviously it's there for a reason.

If your heart is set on one of the above then go drive them if you can or fish out of it for a bit and see what you think. Be sure you let someone you trust look at the motor and give you there opinion. Longer is better wink for most of our lakes and just remember..... Cash in hand for someone who's had a boat on the market for a while talks loudly. PM me if you have any question but my guess is, either would serve you well.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 10:24 PM

Neither boat - keep looking - there are better boats/deals/same money
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 10:27 PM

I love my nitro
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 10:33 PM

Never -- ever pas up what you think is a deal because of what others say/think.
If you like one --- buy it. Then go fishing.
Drive them both. Compare electronics and TM. But what you want

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/30/16 10:39 PM

Great input, thanks! This Is why I love the TFF!

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 01:33 AM

I should clarify my earlier post. When I said there are better boats/deals I was not knocking the brand(s) I was talking about those specific models. For instance there are several really good Skeeter boat models. Every boat manufacturer has made good models and bad models.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Neal G
I should clarify my earlier post. When I said there are better boats/deals I was not knocking the brand(s) I was talking about those specific models. For instance there are several really good Skeeter boat models. Every boat manufacturer has made good models and bad models.

So the Skeeter ZX190 is not a good boat, is that what you're saying ?
hmmm
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 03:29 AM

check the Skeeter trailer...the tubing trailers have major rust issues rusting out from the inside.....

I'm partial to Nitro and Mercury and 2 year newer boat anyway.....
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 01:24 PM

The ZX190 is a GREAT MODEL!

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Newly Retired
The ZX190 is a GREAT MODEL!

Damn right

thumb flehan woot
Posted By: C130

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 02:25 PM

Don't be afraid to buy out of state either. I looked locally and saw quite a bit of junk for sale. I'm sure they would have gotten the job done but the boats obviously had not been taken care of and they were not cheap boats. It just seemed they were either very new, a couple of years old, or they were mid to late 2000 models and beaten up pretty bad.

I bought an 08 Bass Cat that looks like it came off the showroom floor. I paid a high price for it but it's in excellent condition, low hours, decent electronics, nice trolling motor, and several other upgrades. You can find older boats in great shape and low hours.

I think the best deals are on the newer (2-3 years old) model 21 foot boats. They are everywhere and seem to be on the market for a while before selling. I just didn't want to spend that much money but think they are better deals than the older boats.
Posted By: nxt

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 07/31/16 05:43 PM

I have a 2008 898 and really like it. Bought it new and have had zero issues with it. Mine has and Mercury 150 EFI (I know you speed demons will say I'm under powered). No problem getting on plane and will run 50mph. I'm an old man and that plenty for me. As far as porpoising, don't I have that problem either. It's all about trim and how you drive it. You can PM me if you have any questions.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/01/16 09:45 PM

I would keep shopping and find a name brand that is at least 20' and that has a Yamaha on it.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/01/16 09:56 PM

Another pointer, look at both, take pictures, and a tape measure! You may find that the "shorter" boat has more usable deck space (or not). Walk around in them, drive/fish them, and buy one YOU like.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/01/16 09:57 PM

i owned a 2008 898 with 225. it was a good boat. my only complaint was the hole shot sucked in the heat of summer with full live wells. as far as the proposing thing mine had no issue, that sounds driver related.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/01/16 09:59 PM

I have a 93 model 18'6" Javelin with a fast strike 150 that I paid cash for and it runs like a top. I have put new electronics and trailer tires on it and gas and oil that is it and it is awesome. No note every month, it handles the big water on Ray Roberts just fine, I have to drive it but it handles it fine and it is a fish catching machine. Buy what you like and what you can afford to pay cash for is what I think. I would not hesitate to buy another 18'6" boat!
Posted By: OneFishAway

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/01/16 10:27 PM

i own a 07 ZX190 with a 175 HPDI. I have no issues with the boat whatsoever. Do i wish it was a foot longer? Of course. But it fishes bigger than a 19 foot boat in my opinion. It tends to get a little rough in big water i.e. 20MPH winds on Ray Roberts can be tricky. I do enjoy the smaller profile because i haven't found anywhere the ZX190 can't go. Fuel consumption is remarkable. Uses very little oil. All in all its a great boat. Storage is also good for a boat of that size. I took my factory rod holders out of the rod box and i can comfortably fit 15 combos without issue. The only down side that i have noticed is when i put my talons on i have noticed some slight purposing at lower speeds. I have combated that by simply trimming up a little sooner.

**DISCLAIMER the following message is just my opinion**

I have owned a nitro and have fished out of a few. The ride is incredibly rough even in winds 10-15 MPH. It seems to have a bouncing effect that i can feel in my kidneys. Other than that they seem fine.
Posted By: H B

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/01/16 10:46 PM

If you're financing check with lender to see if the age of the boat impacts your cost.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/02/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
I would keep shopping and find a name brand that is at least 20' and that has a Yamaha on it.

Yamaha and hopefully a 4 stroke. Best there is IMO.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/02/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

hmmm

For something from Skeeter around the 2006 time period I would suggest going with the ZX225 even if I had to buy a little bit older boat. The ZX225 was one of the very best boats made by anyone during the mid 2000's. Being powered by a 225 over a 175 is a no brainer decision to me also.

So in summary - almost 2 foot longer, 50 more HP, fishes 3 and a tandem trailer within a couple thousand either way. Please interpret my 2 cents as there is a better Skeeter boat for same money. In other words, I am not dogging the 190 just making a comparison.
Posted By: Big1Bass

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/02/16 07:17 PM

It depends if you like replacing power packs or not.. The Yama Hammer would be the way I would go..
Posted By: Jerry Brown

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/02/16 10:04 PM

I just traded in a 2010 Z 7 for a 2016 Skeeter ZX225. Not the two boats in your original question but somewhat similar. The fit and finish on the Skeeter is significantly better than the Nitro. The extra foot and a half in length an 75 additional horsepower make for a much better ride than the Nitro.

With that said, every issue I had with my Nitro was self inflicted. I wouldn't hesitate to own another Nitro but a Skeeter is a much nicer boat. If the price is the same, I would choose the Skeeter as long as you feel comfortable with the hours and condition of the boat.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/03/16 02:35 AM

I have a 2012 zx190 and it's a great boat. I just wish I had more storage but it is an 18' boat. Only thing I would say change is get a bigger trolling motor if it only has a 70 on it like mine did.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 12:53 AM

If you are buying a used boat that is anywhere close to 10 years old do not buy a short boat. The savings are just not there. I know a lot of you guys watch MLF. By watching that show with the 18 1/2 ft boats and comparing to any FLW or BASS tournament show you can get a good feel for the differences. An easy example is the front deck with the rods hanging off the deck. Better yet is to fish or ride in the different boats. The performance difference between the 150 and a 200/225/250 HP is huge.

If you are buying a new or relatively new boat then the value/cost is a bigger deal between the 20 and 18 foot boats and then there are real $ reasons to go with an 18 1/2 footer.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 01:24 AM

hmmm

For something from Skeeter around the 2006 time period I would suggest going with the ZX225 even if I had to buy a little bit older boat. The ZX225 was one of the very best boats made by anyone during the mid 2000's. Being powered by a 225 over a 175 is a no brainer decision to me also.

So in summary - almost 2 foot longer, 50 more HP, fishes 3 and a tandem trailer within a couple thousand either way. Please interpret my 2 cents as there is a better Skeeter boat for same money. In other words, I am not dogging the 190 just making a comparison.

Bigger is not always better, especially if it won't fit in your garage. My ZX190 fishes great, powered by a 150 SHO, burns half the gas of a 225 2 stroke, only has two tires to wear out, has disc brakes and fits nicely in my garage with room left over. I could afford a bigger boat but can't afford a bigger house. Besides it's all about opinions anyway, there are Ranger and Bass Cat owners that wouldn't have a Skeeter if you gave it to them.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 03:13 AM

hmmm

there are Ranger and Bass Cat owners that wouldn't have a Skeeter if you gave it to them.

loco
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 05:48 AM

I own a Zx 190... I have upgraded to a fortrex and an 1199. I love my speed and size but I have a 5 and a 1 1/5 year old boys. I will need more room soon! I will be in the market for a bigger boat. I think I'd go with the nitro. The 190 fishes awesome if its just you and another adult. Pm me if you want full details. I'll call you
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 04:17 PM

Many great pieces of advice. So let me add one more- Before you buy any used boat, the first trip should be to an authorized motor repair shop and have them check compression and bore scope pistons. The older engines did not handle Menthol very well. Have them also check the lower unit oil. Pretty shiny oil in the lower unit would scare me a little, unless he tells you he just had it serviced. And verify who serviced it.

Select the boat that makes you go wow when you see it and then have it checked out.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 10:47 PM

If you have the storage and all things equal,Go with the bigger boat. JMO
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 10:50 PM

18.5ft

You will always be able to sell it and faster than the other . I would look for another boat. Buy the biggest boat you can afford that is not a NItro.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/04/16 11:03 PM

Did Tracker ruin the Nitro that much? Glad I got mine before Tracker....the skeeter I traded in was way worse than the Nitro I still have and the skeeter wasn't nearly as old....
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/05/16 09:07 AM

I would save money and buy my Basscat.. 2cents
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/05/16 11:03 AM

Nothing wrong with that Skeeter, but I'd take the newer boat and 1.5'-2' in length and go with the Nitro if it was me. That's assuming that the Nitro TM is good size, it has decent electronics, and it's in good condition. I think either boat would serve you well. I've been fishing out of a 17' Triton since I was a kid and I love it. You don't have to have a 20-footer to catch fish, but it sure does make things more comfortable when the wind gets up.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/05/16 12:23 PM

If you have a gun to my head and I gotta choose one I'd go with the Nitro. I'm not partial to Skeeter, but the newer FX boats ride very well and one of the big selling points of a Skeeter is the Owners Tournament at Fork every year. That said, the Skeeter 190 is a SMALL boat. Nitro resale sucks, but you would be buying the boat at the bottom half of its depreciation which is smart. The 190 is a little boat and the only reason to buy one is to fit in a garage. My .02.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/06/16 02:51 PM

Skeeter
Posted By: hoghead2007

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/08/16 01:53 AM

Keep looking don't buy just to buy there are better boats out there keep looking and some thing will pop up I looked for 8 months and a great deal popped up get the biggest boat you can afford and the best with mech bill of health

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/08/16 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: loves2fish

18.5ft

Or

22.5ft

Thank you in advance!

Nitro NX898 is 20'4 not 22'5.

Re: Boat buying advice please. 2006 Skeeter or 2008 Nitro? - 08/08/16 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 96speed
If you have a gun to my head and I gotta choose one I'd go with the Nitro. I'm not partial to Skeeter, but the newer FX boats ride very well and one of the big selling points of a Skeeter is the Owners Tournament at Fork every year. That said, the Skeeter 190 is a SMALL boat. Nitro resale sucks, but you would be buying the boat at the bottom half of its depreciation which is smart. The 190 is a little boat and the only reason to buy one is to fit in a garage. My .02.

I would rather keep my "small" 18'6 ZX190 in my garage than have a Nitro 20'4 ( it's not 22'5) parked outside and have to unload it everytime you get home from fishing. I promise my Skeeter will ride twice as smooth as that Nitro and I won't get wet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum