Texas Fishing Forum

I got my first boat!

Posted By: supernova1992

I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 01:49 PM

Here's a video of the experience!

There's a 5 lb bass in there too at 6:30. My buddy caught him on a mojo rigged power worm.

I'm super excited to get this thing back out on the water!

Edit: Forgot a picture of the boat!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 01:53 PM

Congrats man! First time boat owner as of the last month as well. Good times coming, I take mine out any chance I can get, I'm sure you will too. cheers
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 02:02 PM

welp. there's no goin' back now, you are forever cursed with the innate desire for an extra foot and 50 more horses

Congrats!
Posted By: 361V

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 02:21 PM

That will TOTALLY work! Congratulations!
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 02:27 PM

Make sure your wife understands this is not something that fades away with time. You don't want her tying to put restrictions on you further on down in life. Like trying to make you go to one of her friends baby showers with you, or a PTA meeting, or even worse a catholic weeding, as that just might take up two whole days away from your fishing.
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
Make sure your wife understands this is not something that fades away with time. You don't want her tying to put restrictions on you further on down in life. Like trying to make you go to one of her friends baby showers with you, or a PTA meeting, or even worse a catholic weeding, as that just might take up two whole days away from your fishing.

True, and in the worst case scenario where a Catholic wedding is unavoidable, make sure to leverage it by saying "Alright this weekend we're doing the Catholic wedding, but I'm gonna need 8 hours of fishing next Saturday.... And at least 4 on Sunday."

All about leverage. thumb
Posted By: SFAJACKS44

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 03:10 PM

Congrats. Looks very similar to my first rig that carried me all over Muraul and the Sabine River

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 03:13 PM

Thanks guys!

As far as the wife goes, I bargained with her. She got another horse and I get to keep upgrading haha. We'll see what trades I'll have to make to eventually get a big motor boat lol
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 03:28 PM

Started off with one like that that I hauled around in bed of my truck. It leaked so bad, kept a coffee can in there to bail. Sold it for scrap, this was early 90's. Have had a few others and am in a bass boat now. But last year I got a kayak and started fishing more out of it than my boat. Did not want to drop money for two more yaks for kids then them lose interest, so I got a jon for them, very similar to the one that I started with. Its come full circle and I catch a LOT of fish in it, taking it out tonight as a matter of fact. Take my advice, dont ever get rid of it, you may wish you never did, very versatile craft. Good show!
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 03:29 PM

Awesome and welcometo the money pit bang peep
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 04:09 PM

Congrats! My story is exactly as yours. I just planned exactly where I was going to fish & drove as close as possible to put in. The big boats/motors are nice to get from A to B, especially in bad weather or fishing for a check. But I will never forget my wife's comment after I upgraded & was complaining that I wasn't catching any more or bigger fish. She said "You never caught a fish at 60 mph". She was correct. I did more map study & more research before because of my boat limitations. Enjoy your new boat!

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 04:17 PM

My dad has that exact boat but yellow haha
Posted By: Wink68

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 06:25 PM

Looks exactly like my first rig. Traded an old broken saddle for it. Replaced a bunch of popped rivets with nuts, bolts and rubber disc cut from an inner tube. Oh yeah and JB weld. No leaks. Caught soooo many fish out of that boat. My wife would put her banana chair in the front and catch some sun while I would fish. I always would say, "I wonder what the poor folk are doing right now." I hauled that boat from East Tx to Fort Worth to Nebraska (caught northern pike) to North East TX to North TX where I sold it to a friend after getting into kayaks. Wow that picture sure brings back memories. Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 06:38 PM

Still have one of my first boats! been working on it this year for some pond fishing!

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 09:31 PM

Yeah I think my next purchase will be a trailer for it, since it kinda sticks out of my tail end quite a bit haha
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 11:41 PM

good luck kiddo
Posted By: Trickster

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/28/16 11:57 PM

Tight lines!

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 01:53 AM

Thanks guys. Any tips for the next time I take it out?
Posted By: fishinlance

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 02:24 AM

Awesome deal that's how it all starts just remember what B.O.A .T means
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 02:43 AM

Enjoy.
Posted By: rongleaves

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 02:47 AM

Awesome! A buddy of mine had one exactly like yours and we fished the heck out of some hard to get to places. Boat/trolling motor/battery/rods and always had a blast. We'd load in the back of the truck and head out, miss those days. Enjoy
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 06:28 AM

thumb

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 06:55 PM

I have a question about the battery. Do I need to be recharging it after every use or just when it starts getting low?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: supernova1992
I have a question about the battery. Do I need to be recharging it after every use or just when it starts getting low?
after every use.

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 07:39 PM

Quote:
after every use.

Got it. Thanks!
Posted By: Delbert

Re: I got my first boat! - 07/29/16 07:42 PM

Lots of fun spent 8 hours with the grandson on one the other weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum