Texas Fishing Forum

You know you are a serious fisherman when...

Posted By: SFAJACKS44

You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 04:28 PM

1. You look out over a pasture and imagine it under water and you decide where the fish would position themselves.
2. You hear the sentence " I must be having a problem with my lower unit cause my hole-shot is not as good as it once was" and you don't laugh and you offer possible solutions because you have experienced the same problem.
3. You have set the hook on the vibration of your shirt tail in the wind hitting the butt of your rod.
4. You apologize to/ feel bad for your boat for going fishing in another man's boat.
5. You have set the hook in your sleep.
6. You have looked at a new lure moving through the water and stated " I would hit that"..

Feel free to add to the list
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 04:39 PM

I do #5 a lot. My wife doesn't think it's funny anymore because I'll wake her up.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 04:41 PM

#3...I don't set the hook, but it definitely gets my attention.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 04:43 PM

#6 all the time
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 06:30 PM

7. You ask your son how long his wedding is going to take because there is full moon that night.
8. You ask you wife how did she enjoy your anniversary because you had a great time at the tournament and cashed a check.
9. During the divorce you argue more over who gets the boat than over the kids.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 06:36 PM

10. You are on TFF, Bassmaster, Wired2Fish, etc. and researching all day instead of working at work.
Posted By: popcork

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 06:59 PM

++++
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
7. You ask your son how long his wedding is going to take because there is full moon that night.
8. You ask you wife how did she enjoy your anniversary because you had a great time at the tournament and cashed a check.

Your "no.8" is FACT for me. As well as texting my daughter happy birthday from the boat,....and having her text me "happy Father's Day".

It's crazy how devoted to this stuff I am. It's also even more impressive as to how my family supports me.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:04 PM

11. When pitching or flipping you hit a spot that looks so good you exclaim "that should have got me bit".
#3 gets my attention more often then I like to admit.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:05 PM

But....

11. You research every old "pre water/lake" map you can dig up to see what the terrain looked like BOFORE it was a lake.

12. You think of buying another rental property as a means to fund more fishing gear.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:11 PM

My wife is so good she asks me why I'm not fishing if I take period of time off. Then she will tell me that I had better get to the lake before she kills me. I get a little cranky when I miss more then a week.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:29 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH #10ing right now!
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S
10. You are on TFF, Bassmaster, Wired2Fish, etc. and researching all day instead of working at work.

Do I work with you? bolt
Posted By: bccougar

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:48 PM

#13. When you say you need some Sweet Beavers and your wife doesn't even get mad anymore!

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 07:50 PM

#14.When both of your cars are in the driveway because your boat cost more than both of them combined and it stays in the garage!
Posted By: blooper961

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 08:46 PM

Number 11,or if I cannot find the map I will wait until a drought and walk the banks,
putting topography maps in my brain.
I am like an elephant. I never forget.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: bccougar
#13. When you say you need some Sweet Beavers and your wife doesn't even get mad anymore!

roflmao
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 08:52 PM

15. You apologies to your boat for not going fishing last weekend.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 09:17 PM

#14.When both of your cars are in the driveway because your boat cost more than both of them combined and it stays in the garage!

only one thing worse is you boat goes in the garage and it a lot cheaper then the your cars and truck lol
Posted By: pwarren

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 09:31 PM

I tried to park mine in the garage, but my wife was going to change the locks on the house.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69

Your "no.8" is FACT for me. As well as texting my daughter happy birthday from the boat,....and having her text me "happy Father's Day".

It's crazy how devoted to this stuff I am. It's also even more impressive as to how my family supports me.

This is old but appropriate for the occasion.... roflmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZr8205mX8
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 10:26 PM

roflmao
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 10:44 PM

#1 all the time
Posted By: Bassin2win

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 10:49 PM

You set the hook when you're reeling in a chalk line! Haha
Posted By: SFAJACKS44

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 11:01 PM

So... How many of y'all did #1 on the list on your way home from work today?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 11:07 PM

When you drive two days to get to one of the best Bass lakes in the world.
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/27/16 11:15 PM

When you drive by a field; notice all the cows on their feet and feeding. Then wondering if the bass are up and about and feeding as well.

When you hope and pray for rain because the lake will be less crowded, the bite will be on, plus you will get to wear your high dollar gore Tex.

The day after you place a yoog order from tackle warehouse but hit academy the next day just in case the order doesn't make it in on time.

Yoog is Trump lingo in case you're wondering.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 01:21 AM

The purple clouds roll in with thunder and rain. Lightning starts popping trees on the bank. You can actually feel the static in the air....and you can't leave because you are catching a toad on every single cast.

Stupid? yes. But it does happen.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:33 AM

When there is no other place in the world you would rather be than on the lake.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

The purple clouds roll in with thunder and rain. Lightning starts popping trees on the bank. You can actually feel the static in the air....and you can't leave because you are catching a toad on every single cast.

Not to me it doesn't bolt

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

Not to me it doesn't bolt

I'm about as gung-ho as they get....and I am crazy! Not stupid. I will try to live to fish another day. I have fished in 35 degrees raining, windy, and hail....lightning? Nope. Wait it out.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SFAJACKS44
1. You look out over a pasture and imagine it under water and you decide where the fish would position themselves.
2. You hear the sentence " I must be having a problem with my lower unit cause my hole-shot is not as good as it once was" and you don't laugh and you offer possible solutions because you have experienced the same problem.
3. You have set the hook on the vibration of your shirt tail in the wind hitting the butt of your rod.
4. You apologize to/ feel bad for your boat for going fishing in another man's boat.
5. You have set the hook in your sleep.
6. You have looked at a new lure moving through the water and stated " I would hit that"..

Feel free to add to the list

I do "1" every time I leave Joe Pool. I pass by the new lake they are making in Midlothian. I have even taken my jeep out there and drove around the purposed lake and marked stuff on my GPS. Getting ready for 2021. Lol.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 12:04 PM

You guys are absolutely nutz. I'm glad I'm not messed up like that. Denial is first hurdle to overcome.....work in progress!!

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
You guys are absolutely nutz. I'm glad I'm not messed up like that. Denial is first hurdle to overcome.....work in progress!!

I've fished with you.....you are worse. Haha.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 12:41 PM

You keep fishing logs for years with pictures drawn on them and notes on how and where fish were caught how the weather was etc.
Then you go back 20 years later and read over them for FUN.
Also you are out on Fork fishing with a buddy and you point to a tree and say "Man I caught a 6 lber on a jig right on that tree!" And he says, "When was that, last week?" And you say, "No, I believe it was in 95."
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 12:52 PM

spend m-f planning your s-s fishing. fish
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 01:07 PM

When people introduce you as they're fisherman friend instead of whatever you do for a living.

you judge how nice a truck is by how good it would look pulling your boat.

you hear a bump in the night at home and the first thing you check is your boat/gear

you have ever made a normal person uncomfortable because they made the mistake of asking "so like, what to these bass things eat" by responding with a 10 minute lecture on seasonal movement, water clarity, dominant forage and seasonal movement of forage.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 01:29 PM

When you pull up to a tournament to find out your cranking battery is dead and fish the tournament anyways with just your trolling motor.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TBassYates
You keep fishing logs for years with pictures drawn on them and notes on how and where fish were caught how the weather was etc.
Then you go back 20 years later and read over them for FUN.
Also you are out on Fork fishing with a buddy and you point to a tree and say "Man I caught a 6 lber on a jig right on that tree!" And he says, "When was that, last week?" And you say, "No, I believe it was in 95."

I just finished transcribing 20 years of hand written fishing logs into a 60+ page Word document. Rereading them actually brought back memories long forgotten.
Posted By: LA Ron

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:07 PM

Really enjoy this post. Every time I go over the list l LMAO. My wife says your quote at the bottom of your post fits me perfectly. Wants to use it when l "check out".(no time soon,l hope). Just wanted to know who gets the credit.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:18 PM

Go to Sugar for 3 months straight, come home to a divorce and than move to a private bass lake. Real talk...
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:29 PM

When you tell your partner "look all your cows are laying down"
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 02:29 PM

Some Great stuff here!!
Allen- that would be one heck of a fishing log to read!! Wish I could dedicate myself to keeping a good log!
pwarren- yep I've done that before!!
Mike- yep I've been introduced as "hey this is Rudy, he likes to fish"
Steez- yep that new lake should be AWESOME!! I may or may not have been saving google images of creek channels!! :-)

Mostly I relate to #1!! Every fallen down tree, a pile of rocks, anything on the side of the road that looks "fishy" if it was underwater!!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: pwarren
When you pull up to a tournament to find out your cranking battery is dead and fish the tournament anyways with just your trolling motor.

I was fishing a tournament on fork about 15 years ago and took out my big motor on a stump at about 8:30 AM. Forward was toast but reverse gear worked, so I crossed Fork in reverse to get to the cove near the Minnow Bucket(where we had launched). Dropped the trolling motor and fished the rest of the day in those coves. Ended up in second. My $100 (small club) winnings paid about 10% of the cost to repair the big motor.

Another time, first thing in the morning I spun my hub just as I got to the car bridge on Monticello. Could only slow idle. It is a very long trip to slow idle up to Smith Creek. Had to leave an hour early to make sure I got back for weigh-in on time.

I also found out the night before a tournament on Bob Sandlin that my trolling motor was toast. Still fished the tournament but did not fare well. That was harder to overcome (for fishing) than the big motor problems.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 03:47 PM

When you have more rods and reels than your wife has shoes......

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
When you have more rods and reels than your wife has shoes......

Yeeuuuupp lol
Posted By: Big1Bass

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 04:39 PM

When you have already told your wife which point you want your ashes displaced for your memorial..

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 05:12 PM

Lol...when you designate which rod, reel and lure to be buried with in your will.
Posted By: Big Kev

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 06:17 PM

Awesome stuff here....
When you are known in your neighborhood as "The guy with the boat". Keep in mind she stays parked out back out of sight....
When you walk thru your house you pitch and flip at corners and edges imagining bass setting up......
When your hard core fishing partners (yes plural) wish they can fish half as much as you do....
When you walk into a tackle shop or boat dealer and its like Norm walking into Cheers......
When you have a truck dedicated to pulling your boat and you have a daily driver.....
When you go on a fishing trip, the crew you are with takes shifts in order to be able and keep up.....
Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 07:48 PM

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2013/20130624_lightningsafety.html

This is why I get off the water if lightning is seen...

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 08:04 PM

My buddy actually has me in his will for all of his rods and reels because his son doesnt fish. True friends keep giving even after they are gone!

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 08:06 PM

when you have a prenup that states in bold print "I get all the fishing stuff"

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 08:07 PM

P.S. if you fish enough, the prenup will come in handy!
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 11:19 PM

whan BassPro calles you for as order.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 11:40 PM

when you create a bass club that fishes every Thursday, but using three different formats

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 11:55 PM

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/28/16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2013/20130624_lightningsafety.html

This is why I get off the water if lightning is seen...

Debbie Downer Buzz Kill
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 03:02 AM

You don't need an alarm clock to get up.

You're the first one out and the last on in!

People stop fishing with you because you "fish too hard"( I told the guy that's the only way I know how to fish)...never saw him again.

Fish while passing a kidney stone!!!
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 03:30 AM

When you put you're food & drinks together for a tournament and at end of tournament you and partner hadn't even touched it .
Posted By: crankn101

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 04:59 AM

When your future ex wife says "Its fishing in the summer and hunting in the winter, I cant compete".

True story

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 03:02 PM

You have a Rage Craw hanging from your rear view mirror serving as an air freshener.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: John Peebles

Is there something wrong with this? I thought I was being productive while missing work.......
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 03:57 PM

On the job and reading these, only call I've had in office today was, yep, my fishing acquaintance wanting to know where I would end up tomorrow.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 06:28 PM

#4,5 &6 many,many times over & over.
I can see I m in darn good company cool
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/29/16 07:57 PM

Every day I drive to work. hammer
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/30/16 11:31 PM

[quote=bronco71] [quote=John Peebles]

Is there something wrong with this? I thought I was being productive while missing work.......

Hey I had already paid the tournament entry fee!
Posted By: Athens Guide Svc

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/31/16 01:16 AM

When your confident enough to give the compliment "Nice Sack" to a complete stranger.
When you fish a tournament all day with a hook embedded in your hand, or face, or foot.
When you are excited about the first cast of the day, and sadden by the last cast of the day.
When you enjoy teaching kids.
When you think driving 300 miles to a tournament is no big deal.
When you fish a team tournament solo because your partner had to attend his own wedding.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/31/16 10:34 AM

When you agree to accompany wife to grocery store on Saturday, because there's a lake you never fished only slightly out of the way.
Posted By: HuknBull67

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/31/16 12:37 PM

When you actually have nicknames for all 184 crank baits in the boat thumb

Peace and Bent Rods

HuknBull67
Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/31/16 07:14 PM

You have a Rage Craw hanging from your rear view mirror serving as an air freshener.

To funny, this posts are to great.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/31/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

That one made me chuckle too.

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 07/31/16 09:46 PM

....when there are more pics of you with fish than with your significant other....
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 08/01/16 03:50 AM

You get overly frustrated because waiting for safe light is causing you to miss some of the best fishing of the day...

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 08/01/16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Kev
When you have a truck dedicated to pulling your boat and you have a daily driver.....

I bought my dedicated boat puller last month!
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 08/01/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: SIR-FISH-LOT

That one made me chuckle too.

Mine is a Black Hilldebrandt spinnerbait. Makes me remember all of those night fishing trips at Fork in the 90's especially when the windows are rolled down and that blade starts going around and around. Retired it to my rear view mirror after an especially awesome fight with an 8 lber one night.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: You know you are a serious fisherman when... - 08/01/16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
....when there are more pics of you with fish than with your significant other....

cheers peep
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum