Texas Fishing Forum

New MK Fortrex with or without Universal Sonar?

Posted By: DuctsZX250

New MK Fortrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 10:54 AM

My MG bit the dust yesterday.

Going to replace with a MK Fortrex. Should I go with or without sonar?

Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 10:57 AM

I would go without and use the one that comes with your FF/graph unit.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike
I would go without and use the one that comes with your FF/graph unit.

+1
Posted By: John175☮

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 11:18 AM

Without. I just bought one and put a Humminbird side imaging transducer on it connected to a 998.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 11:43 AM

with
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 11:51 AM

Without....more guys are using DI/Sonar HD transducers anyways. So....it is mostly obsolete. Nice if you only plan on regular sonar.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 12:27 PM

I was a guy going the "without" route but have had success going the "with" universal sonar for the last 5 years or so. I went from busting a transducer or two every year, carrying a spare and changing transducers out on the water to never having a problem.

I did experiment with the extra equipment that you can mount on your TM to protect the transducers but had mixed results with that - especially fishing grass. I prefer a clean with nothing attached to the motor.

Regardless either way will work equally well with Lowrance 2D or flashers.

Posted By: Classic Used Boats

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 12:40 PM

Probably depends fishing style. If fishing shallow all the time, go with built in transducer. If you.like fishing deep, use transducer that matches your graph.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 12:43 PM

With. If nothing else, use it as an extra when you break yours off because you know you will.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 01:33 PM

I went without because you cannot mount the total scan transducer otherwise.
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 01:41 PM

I went with. My front graph is linked thru the console graph, so I can still have side imaging. Although what I'm seeing on side imaging is 20' behind me. Ha.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son
With. If nothing else, use it as an extra when you break yours off because you know you will.

This
Posted By: Trickster

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 03:13 PM

I just bought one want went with the transducer. I use an external transducer but as a backup I got the adapter cable in case something happens to the external transducer.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 04:20 PM

I use my "with"
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 04:43 PM

Without. The one on my MK is junk and wouldn't even pick up a 1oz jig. Switched to the transducer that came with my unit and all is good.
Posted By: Maddog10

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 05:22 PM

I went with the built in sonar but if I had to do it over again I would go without. The US2 is just so-so, and there are definitely better sonars on the market. Plus I don't fish shallow for much of the year. It's "good enough" but it's not great.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 06:18 PM

I was in the without camp for many years, but have converted. Got tired of having to replace transducers because the cables got pinched, or the transducer broke off at the mount. I wouldn't go back to without.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal G
I was a guy going the "without" route but have had success going the "with" universal sonar for the last 5 years or so. I went from busting a transducer or two every year, carrying a spare and changing transducers out on the water to never having a problem.

I did experiment with the extra equipment that you can mount on your TM to protect the transducers but had mixed results with that - especially fishing grass. I prefer a clean with nothing attached to the motor.

Regardless either way will work equally well with Lowrance 2D or flashers.

This
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 06:21 PM

Also I find the sensitivity is acceptable. I can track a baby brush hog on a texas rig all the way to the bottom in 15 ft. of water. It is probably true you can get a better reading using the factory transducer, but I don't drop shot so it is of no concern to me
Posted By: Neal G

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 06:59 PM

Relative to good sonar and fishing in Texas - everyone of us is fishing shallow.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 09:11 PM

After having broken off a transducer on my tm twice and being stuck the rest of the day without it, I vote with universal. It is atleast a good backup. I'm think about going to just that on the tm in the future. Transducers are just too darn expensive to keep buying
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
After having broken off a transducer on my tm twice and being stuck the rest of the day without it, I vote with universal. It is atleast a good backup. I'm think about going to just that on the tm in the future. Transducers are just too darn expensive to keep buying

Yeah, the Si Di HD ducers are wooweeee exspensive.. I say without, but only with solid protection.. I know you bought with...
I like to fish deeper for the most part..
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/27/16 11:46 PM

Without.

Have had both brands with sonar, both leaked and had to be repaired. Always the o-ring. Purchased the 112# MK without sonar, put the transducer protector bracket on. Much happier.
Posted By: stxsangler

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/28/16 12:22 AM

I always used a US2, until i put the downscan external transducer on, way way better.
That said though, it is nice to know I have the US2 as a backup.

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 07/28/16 12:13 PM

Thanks for the opinions fellas. Looks like I will go with the Fortrex without US2. I fish deep more often than shallow and have had no problems using a transducer saver for the last 4 years.

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 08/01/16 02:34 PM

Finished installing new Fortrex yesterday.

Thumbs up to David at Shut Up and Fish...great price and service.

Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 08/01/16 02:45 PM

Sweet, congrats, good looking install. You said you like to fish offshore, me too. Did you go with the 52" shaft ??. I love mine for when it get rough, not as much cavitation..

Re: New MK Fotrex with or without Universal Sonar? - 08/01/16 02:51 PM

I went with the 45" shaft. With an 18'8" boat I cannot comfortably stay out in the wind too long. When I was 20 did not matter how much the wind blew, but at 52 I will head in and fish another day. fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum