Texas Fishing Forum

Bucca Bull Shad

Posted By: Connor S

Bucca Bull Shad - 07/25/16 07:57 PM

Sorry if I'm de on this one.. But, I have a question for the swimbait guys. Just wondering if there are any good options out there for a shad swimbait that isn't $90 for a 9" bait. Or is the Bull Shad just the bee's knees and worth it?

Thanks
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/25/16 09:33 PM

9 inch is $80.... Good bait but there is just as good for less.

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/25/16 09:39 PM

What are some of the just as good baits?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/25/16 09:42 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11740075/#Post11740075
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Connor S
What are some of the just as good baits?

For the price I would try the River A Tackle S swim
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 11:30 AM

Not a lot of big baits under $90 that are proven catchers. Try looking at swimbait underground or some other forums and find some used ones.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 05:07 PM

The Bull Shad is a great bait. Unfortunately the price to play the big bait game is high. That being said, there are some baits for half that price that will get you bit. The Jackall Gantarel is becoming one of my favs.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 05:28 PM

The shine glide is a nice bait for alot less than the bull shad.

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 07:04 PM

Has anyone tried the Castaic BD Shad knock off of the Bull Shad?

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 07:08 PM

Also has anyone tried the new Livingston glide the B Viper that just came out at Icast? Velvic designed the bait and seems pretty fired up about it when he spoke about it on a live youtube seminar.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S
Also has anyone tried the new Livingston glide the B Viper that just came out at Icast? Velvic designed the bait and seems pretty fired up about it when he spoke about it on a live youtube seminar.

Looks like an Evergreen ES Flat swimbait or a 6th Sense Flow Glider but just a bit longer.
Posted By: TexasHarleySales

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 08:21 PM

The Spro swimbaits are great, as are the River2Sea S-Wavers. IMHO, the best swimbait for the money will always be a RO5 Huddleston 68 Butch Brown rigged.

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/26/16 09:58 PM

I have an S-Waver 168 and really like it. Will probably get the 200 soon but I was wanting a big shad profile bait before that.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/27/16 04:23 AM

You mean you all aren't on first name basis with Mike Bucca by now? LOL. I fished with him when he was located in North Texas and got to help launch his Doodad feathered treble business. I remain good friends with him and get my baits directly from him, I pay full price, but he asks less. The Bull Shad is a GREAT BAIT, but BIG swimbaits are not cheap. A GLIDE bait is not a swim bait, but pretty close, it is called a GLIDE bait for a reason. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/27/16 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: KingOfCars
The Spro swimbaits are great, as are the River2Sea S-Wavers. IMHO, the best swimbait for the money will always be a RO5 Huddleston 68 Butch Brown rigged.

I forgot about the s-waver, it is definitely a good bait. I figured he was talking hard baits, if you include soft baits it opens a whole new box, and Hudson are at the top. I also like the smash tech.

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/27/16 04:00 PM

To those who are wondering what we are talking about, here is his website.

http://www.bullshad.com/

He also has a Bull Bluegill pattern now, too. Mike is a stand up guy and knows what he is talking about. His baits are very good and catch a lot of fish, too bad the USA MADE baits are not as cheap as others, but they DO WORK WELL!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am a friend of his, but so sue me. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/27/16 05:03 PM

Thad, is the new 11" bull shad the same 5-7 ROF as the others?

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/27/16 07:03 PM

Connor S.

Mike strives for 1/2' a second (6") on the slow sink and 1' a second (12") on the fast sinking baits. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/27/16 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
To those who are wondering what we are talking about, here is his website.

http://www.bullshad.com/

He also has a Bull Bluegill pattern now, too. Mike is a stand up guy and knows what he is talking about. His baits are very good and catch a lot of fish, too bad the USA MADE baits are not as cheap as others, but they DO WORK WELL!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am a friend of his, but so sue me. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Some would say he has "shockingly" good advertising
Posted By: BarryH

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/28/16 12:47 AM

Take a look at the Swimbaits page on Oak Ridge Marina's website for a great overview of many of the swimbaits available out there.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/28/16 12:58 AM

I can't justify the cost of baits that high. I was talking to Keith combs once and he mentioned that he doesn't own anything more than 15 dollars.

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/28/16 04:15 PM

So he is a professional fisherman that has Zero hard baits over 6" long?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 07/28/16 04:33 PM

That's what he said. He pretty much throws exclusively strike king products, and they don't have anything more expensive than their deep divers.

He said he does fine with the cheaper lures, and had no reason to fish the expensive baits.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 08/01/16 06:01 PM

how are you guys fishing your bullshads? I have the slow sink model (5 inch but I'm going to get the 6 inch soon) and I'm not sure if I should slow roll it, burn it on the surface or just crawl it really slowly along the bottom? I know one thing, the action is amazing!

Re: Bucca Bull Shad - 08/01/16 08:11 PM

ksatman76,

I fish mine on a slow roll or regular retrieve. I have fished them faster to get them on top, as well. I do NOT let it set on the bottom, because it looses it action slowly creeping it along the bottom. I try to fish it OVER the cover and only occasionally touch the cover, as I do not want to loose the bait in deep water. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum