Texas Fishing Forum

Carolina rig with braid main line?

Posted By: OneFishAway

Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 02:52 PM

After loosing $20 worth of tungsten weight yesterday i though about switching to a braid main line in an attempt to keep the swivel and weight and just break the leader. Anyone had any luck with this?
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 02:55 PM

yep. That will work well. I don't use braid any more but when I did that's how I did it. However, if the weight is what gets hung up you will be cutting your line anyway.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 02:55 PM

Casting the heavy weight with that much line out requires a little more finesse with braid, but it works. However, if it does wrap, you can snap at the spool. With braid floating, getting it back may be possible. Be aware of your knot, the rubbing may fray the braid, check often!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 02:58 PM

Depending on rod watch the gorilla hook sets, you will snap leaders quickly

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin

True ^^^

I always used a sweeping hook set when I fish CR.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 03:09 PM

I tried and couldn't use braid because or snapping the leader. Changing my hook set for one technique messed me up.

20lb Seaguar main line is tough to break. I use 12 or 15lb leader and love it.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 03:17 PM

I broke off with braid too much at the leader. Fluoro main line for me
Posted By: fishinlance

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 03:57 PM

I like the combinations of tungsten and braid it like sending electricity thru the rod the sensitivity goes way up
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
However, if it does wrap, you can snap at the spool. With braid floating, getting it back may be possible.

Or I might wrap it up in my trolling motor next trip.

Bring a dowel-rod & use it to pull or break.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 06:41 PM

I don't use tungsten with C-rig, but use braid main line and 20lb flouro leader line. Works well for me. You also don't have to worry about sweeping set or hard set or rod in perfect position when setting the hook. You just stick the pig at a half hearted set and start reeling.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: OneFishAway
After loosing $20 worth of tungsten weight yesterday i though about switching to a braid main line in an attempt to keep the swivel and weight and just break the leader. Anyone had any luck with this?

Absolutely. 20 lb fluoro leader.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/17/16 11:18 PM

Always braid for my main line. Always....and I basically hate braid. I only use it for frogs and C-rigs. Nothing is more sensitive then braid especially on loooong deep water casts. You will feel everything and be able to set the hook easily even with lots of line out due to the low stretch. I have never had problems with snapping the braid on casts. Just do a big side arm lob style cast and you can throw it a mile. And yes, when you do hang up you usually only loose the hook, bait and maybe leader instead of the entire set up.
Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/18/16 03:21 AM

I love braid mainline, never had a problem. 65ln flouro, bps 17lb.
Posted By: RandyK

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/18/16 05:25 PM

switch to steel weights, cheaper but still sensitive.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/18/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: RandyK

How large is a 3/4 oz wad of steel?

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/18/16 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: RandyK

How large is a 3/4 oz wad of steel?

About the size of your thumb. Lol

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/18/16 09:06 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking. I can just see my new tackle box now. scared
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 03:17 PM

I used to use braid as a main line but switched to fluorocarbon line. Since it has some stretch to it, I find that I can "pop" it loose easier when the weight gets hung on something. Fluorocarbon is plenty sensitive enough with a C-rig and you will get more bites using fluorocarbon line instead of braid,(at least at Fork you will). I tried tungsten weights and went back to lead weights also because the tungsten fluoro combo was too sensitive for me. I don't want to feel "everything" with a C-rig. For me if you feel too much you might think you just bumped something when really you just had a light bite. I can feel all I need to with fluorocarbon and lead, soft or hard bottom, cover, but mostly I am just feeling for a bite.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 04:32 PM

All I use on c rig
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 04:59 PM

Don't. Stay with flourocarbon, you absolutely get less bites with braid on a C-Rig. Reduce your leader poundage or up your main line or both. 17-20lb main line with a 12-15lb leader works very well.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Always braid for my main line. Always....and I basically hate braid. I only use it for frogs and C-rigs. Nothing is more sensitive then braid especially on loooong deep water casts. You will feel everything and be able to set the hook easily even with lots of line out due to the low stretch. I have never had problems with snapping the braid on casts. Just do a big side arm lob style cast and you can throw it a mile. And yes, when you do hang up you usually only loose the hook, bait and maybe leader instead of the entire set up.

With braid, how do you feel bites when you have a slack line? You don't. Flourocarbon transfers vibration even when slack.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 05:07 PM

Brass is another good option for C-rigs, about the same size as steel, about the same feel as steel, and doesn't rust. Been there done that. Tried to save $ on tungsten by going to steel and ruined an entire 3700 box of Owner and Trokar hooks.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 05:14 PM

I tried it, hated it. Couldn't adjust my hookset to it and couldn't pull it through cover as well.
Posted By: Hawgchaser

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 11:39 PM

20 lb fluorocarbon leader and Picasso pro metal weights
Posted By: Hawgchaser

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 11:39 PM

20 lb main line, my bad

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/19/16 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S

With braid, how do you feel bites when you have a slack line? You don't. Flourocarbon transfers vibration even when slack.

That's making a lot of assumptions when fishing a C-rig, the biggest being that the fish hits your bait so hard that your leader vibrates down to your swivel, through the swivel, then transfers through the 1/2 (3/4?) ounce weight you have resting on the bottom and then up your main line through the deep water to your rod tip, then down your rod to your hands. Even if there's no swivel and you use a keeper, that's some magic line you are using. wink

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/20/16 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S

That's making a lot of assumptions when fishing a C-rig, the biggest being that the fish hits your bait so hard that your leader vibrates down to your swivel, through the swivel, then transfers through the 1/2 (3/4?) ounce weight you have resting on the bottom and then up your main line through the deep water to your rod tip, then down your rod to your hands. Even if there's no swivel and you use a keeper, that's some magic line you are using. wink

Flourocarbon must be magic then. partyon

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/20/16 06:43 PM

It may not be magic but it DOES make a difference in your catch ratio.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/20/16 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
It may not be magic but it DOES make a difference in your catch ratio.

That's MAGIC in my book. breakdance

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/20/16 07:16 PM

Fluorocarbon is wonderful stuff, but no way it's more sensitive than braid as your main line. But we can agree to disagree.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/21/16 04:35 PM

I agree, with our agree to disagree wink

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/21/16 04:52 PM

Fluorocarbon is wonderful stuff, but no way it's more sensitive than braid as your main line. But we can agree to disagree.

This, braid is the deal, I reject that it gets less bites on a crig. Carry on.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/21/16 06:28 PM

I concur with using braid for main line and it does not affect the number of bites as long as you're using flouro for leader line. What's that fish gonna do? Look up at that line by 3ft and say, "Nope, he's using braid for main line and I can see it better". Yes, the fish can see braid better, but the fish is concentrating on the plastic well below where main line is. I can half heartedly hookset a fish with braid and not have to worry about rod positioning and line slack right before setting the hook. When your braid slack is just right, you will feel more bites on it than flouro main line, easily.
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/21/16 07:14 PM

This is how I roll. Braid line... and prerigged C-rigs on swivels. The kind you can buy at Academy. Almost never lose the weights.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/23/16 01:44 AM

Thanks for the info y'all. Looks like the field is split down the middle.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/23/16 11:20 AM

One Fish,

It also depends on what lakes you fish. In east Texas, you can do straight fluoro if that's your preference. Fishing the jagged rocks in south Texas and Mexico, braid is more predictable. Go give it a try and you'll know for sure.

Tight lines,

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 12:43 AM

If you use braid as a main line on lake Fork you WILL get less bites than if you use fluorocarbon line as a main line. That is not my opinion, that is a fact that I have found to be true by my own on the water experience out there as well as lots of time on the water by lake Fork guides that will tell you the same thing. At Fork it matters. If you don't believe me I don't care..Keep using braid and get less bites, its up to you.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

I concur with using braid for main line and it does not affect the number of bites as long as you're using flouro for leader line. What's that fish gonna do? Look up at that line by 3ft and say, "Nope, he's using braid for main line and I can see it better". Yes, the fish can see braid better, but the fish is concentrating on the plastic well below where main line is. I can half heartedly hookset a fish with braid and not have to worry about rod positioning and line slack right before setting the hook. When your braid slack is just right, you will feel more bites on it than flouro main line, easily.

It absolutely gets less bites than floro main line. The fish can here it sawing on the cover before the bait gets to them.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs

It absolutely gets less bites than floro main line. The fish can here it sawing on the cover before the bait gets to them.

Prove it.....C-rig tournament. You against me. Your areas. My boat. Can I waypoint the spots we fish? You see where I'm going with this? You may be right, James, but I'm a masterbaiter with the C-rig!!
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 01:20 PM

I've done a lot of Carolina rigging with flouro or braid as the main line. Haven't seen any appreciable difference in the number of bites?? I use various lengths and weights of flouro or mono leader as the conditions dictate. While its true that braid will more readily dig into hard cover when there is tension on the lure end of the line...it also cuts thru vegetation very well. NO Doubt about braid transmitting the strike better than other lines. Its mostly a confidence thing...I don't believe for a second that a fish with a brain the size of a green pea can differentiate between line types...might be able to see a braid line attached to a worm or jig sitting or moving slowly along the bottom...not on a faster moving bait. Not sure line type has any effect on their need to eat or react to a food source. Solution if you are still unsure...use a leader of whatever you like best. Keep thinking good thoughts.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 01:31 PM

My main reason for using braid on main line is that it holds up better and longer than floro IMO. I switched about two years ago and have never looked back. The only issue I've had is cutting my tag lines to short. bang I could tell you an embarrassing story about that. But I have learned from it and now have longer tag lines.
Posted By: dw173

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 02:57 PM

Not to hijack the thread as its been very interesting but how about braid mainline on a dropshot then with a fluoro leader?

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: dw173
Not to hijack the thread as its been very interesting but how about braid mainline on a dropshot then with a fluoro leader?

Dropshot is different, I use a 20' leader.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 05:42 PM

Prove it.....C-rig tournament. You against me. Your areas. My boat. Can I waypoint the spots we fish? You see where I'm going with this? You may be right, James, but I'm a masterbaiter with the C-rig!!

Let's do this little experiment. It would be fun and I'll tag along and be y'all's Marshall. I'll even buy lunch! How about Fork in September??

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 07:10 PM

I'm down. How about a closer lake like Joe Pool.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 07:17 PM

Last summer I had 50+ bass between 4 and 9 lbs with 50 lb braid to 20 lb Invis-X on Fork. hmmm

And I'm not a very good fisherman. Just sayin wink

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 07:28 PM

I'm down. How about a closer lake like Joe Pool.

Any lake is fine with me. At least if I lose it will be to a pro........ bolt
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 08:02 PM

My main reason for using braid on main line is that it holds up better and longer than floro IMO. I switched about two years ago and have never looked back. The only issue I've had is cutting my tag lines to short. bang I could tell you an embarrassing story about that. But I have learned from it and now have longer tag lines.

You don't tie a knot in the end of your tag line? I was always told to do this on braid....

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 08:38 PM

No one ever said that you can't catch bass using braid as a main line for your C-rig but it is a fact that you will get less bites using it. You will see when you test it out with James and Ken. I used braid as a main line for many years and tested it against fluorocarbon for a year and switched to fluorocarbon. I don't think it is a visual thing with the bass as much as a noise factor to them. I have no idea why it bothers the fish because we all fish noisy baits but for some reason it does and that is why I switched to fluorocarbon as a main line. I fish a C-rig a lot and I have for many years now.

Guides on Fork have told me they will have two clients show up and the one using braid as a main line always gets less bites than the other guy. Several guides have told me that. They see it all the time.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/24/16 11:45 PM

Ok, so the big chunk of tungsten or brass or steel dragging around doesn't bother them, the clicking of the bead and maybe the clacker doesn't bother them, but the sawing noise on braid against cover does? No offense, to each their own. I'm not buying it.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 12:15 AM

Ok, so the big chunk of tungsten or brass or steel dragging around doesn't bother them, the clicking of the bead and maybe the clacker doesn't bother them, but the sawing noise on braid against cover does? No offense, to each their own. I'm not buying it.

Im with you.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper

Im with you.

I agree. I'm interested in the results of the challenge. But I think they need everything else the same, leader line needs to be the same length, size, etc. baits, hooks need to be the same also. Hell even the weights and beads or whatever else.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Slade

Im with you.

I agree. I'm interested in the results of the challenge. But I think they need everything else the same, leader line needs to be the same length, size, etc. baits, hooks need to be the same also. Hell even the weights and beads or whatever else.

It's impossible to judge. Not working the baits the same, speed of reteieve not pulling it in front of same fish, way too many non controllable things. I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. I think everybody will come to their own conclusion and fish with whatever they feel good with.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 02:01 AM

Im with you.

Agreed.

In Cali, where you can see down 30+ feet. Braid might be less effective.

But in Texas waters... Im pretty sure it makes little to no difference.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 03:06 AM

Do the majority of pros use braid main line crig ??? Just wondering since I'm just a regular Joe so for me it doesn't matter but what about those times when the bite is off and one fish makes a lot of money??- braid sawing through the water might make all the difference then but Idk.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 03:19 AM

OK, so here's the challenge. WAWI will take me deep water fishing on Squaw and he will use braid and I will use fluorocarbon and we'll let you know what the results are after a full day of deep water draggin the ball and chain at Squaw thumb
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 03:29 AM

i carry 2 identical c-rig setups - same rod, reel, weight, swivel, hook, leader ... identical in every way except one has braid as the main line, one has fluorocarbon. The only reason i have one rigged with Fluorocarbon is just in case i want to rig a FB jig on it instead of a C Rig, otherwise i use them pretty interchangeably. I keep 2 in case the bite is on and i break off a leader or something, i can keep on fishing and re-rig later. I haven't noticed a difference in the # of bites i get with one vs. the other, but I do prefer the braid main line because: i perceive i detect subtle bites easier with braid and i definitely notice changes in bottom composition better with braid. so i prefer braid on the mainline as a novice. Pro's may use something totally different and catch a gazillion more fish, but they are pros who fish all day every day, they will catch more fish on any and every technique than us 'regular Joes'

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 04:10 AM

Im with you.

With all the doubters I'm ready for this challenge.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 04:27 AM

The reason is they can hear the braid and spook. The weight is made to stir up stuff off the bottom when they come to see what is going on the bait should be coming through and they hit the bait. The clack by the bead helps bring their attention to the weight and bait. The bass will get spook by the braid on the trees. You are trying to bring them to the spot when the bait is going through and not before. You will want it silent before the weight and bait get there.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
OK, so here's the challenge. WAWI will take me deep water fishing on Squaw and he will use braid and I will use fluorocarbon and we'll let you know what the results are after a full day of deep water draggin the ball and chain at Squaw thumb

Lol
Posted By: Slade

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

The reason is they can hear the braid and spook. The weight is made to stir up stuff off the bottom when they come to see what is going on the bait should be coming through and they hit the bait. The clack by the bead helps bring their attention to the weight and bait. The bass will get spook by the braid on the trees. You are trying to bring them to the spot when the bait is going through and not before. You will want it silent before the weight and bait get there.

My initial reaction to this was, no way they hear the line "cutting" through the water, I know James had said that also, but the skeptic in me doesn't buy it. However I started thinking about the noise a reel makes with braid vs floro/mono and maybe there is something to it.

I use braid as my main line, mono as the leader, but I suck with a C rig and don't use it that often. My wife when she goes with me, prefers a C rig so she throws the same set up (braid/mono) - one thing I have noticed is that she does catch fish but seems to be small ones, I can be fishing the same area with something different (no braid) and have caught bigger ones. There is probably a lot of other variables for that, but it does make me start to wonder.

That's why I'm interested in the challenge, I want to see if it does make that much of a difference or not.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 01:02 PM

Im with you.

With all the doubters I'm ready for this challenge.

That's why my momma named me Thomas.....Doubting Thomas. I'm as ready as you are. Where's the marshall?

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 01:36 PM

It's funny how we perceive some noises as desirable to the fish and some not. I don't doubt some of it is true, but like some of you, I have trouble wrapping my brain around braid sawing on a log and creating enough noise (at the speed I retrieve at) to cause alarm for the fish to flee the scene. I don't run into that many logs and when I do, I'm pulling so slowly I'm not sure it's reverberating in that way. I'd be much more inclined to believe that it's a visual thing that repels them on Fork.

And Joe.... that was funny. I've never seen a pro throw a C-rig but that's a great question.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 01:56 PM

It's funny how we perceive some noises as desirable to the fish and some not. I don't doubt some of it is true, but like some of you, I have trouble wrapping my brain around braid sawing on a log and creating enough noise (at the speed I retrieve at) to cause alarm for the fish to flee the scene. I don't run into that many logs and when I do, I'm pulling so slowly I'm not sure it's reverberating in that way. I'd be much more inclined to believe that it's a visual thing that repels them on Fork.

And Joe.... that was funny. I've never seen a pro throw a C-rig but that's a great question.

That's right, rattletraps, popper baits, the latest thing the whopper plopper, buzz baits, crashing square bills into cover, Let's not forget A rigs with wires and all kinds of nonsense on them that I pull into all kinds of things. It matters on crig but not on drop shot? Again, whatever you feel good about. During certain times of the year on certain Lakes I fish pretty deep 30 plus feet. Hook sets on long casts in 30 feet plus with braid are cake. Often there is pretty thick cover and rocks where I'm dragging, I prefer to just reel them in not jack around with them and 65 pound braid, a 20 pound mono leader tend to get that done, especially on a 8 foot rod.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 02:08 PM

What I don't doubt for one second is that if you think one of them is superior, you'll find out you're right and I'm not sure that one day of results from two of our local sticks is going to change anything.

But I'm all about a good spirited competition! I had more fun watching Steez and Okie last year during that deal.

Nailing down our Marshal is the only concern. wink

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/25/16 07:46 PM

AMEN

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 01:33 AM

this thread is more interested than i thought it would be lol

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 02:14 AM

Lake has been picked. One plastic will be used. My boat, James's spots......date is yet to be picked. Stay tuned for further details. Any predictions on outcomes? It's a win-win for me. If I lose, I've lost to a pro. Not as bad as losing to Steez....J/K Steez, you know you're my friend and you're a darned good fisherman to boot! I doubt I'll pop off a $500 bet, though. This could determine my set-up for future C-riggin' if James puts it to me, and C-riggin is prob my favorite summer presentation. That means I may catch more fish, or will I? Don't count this old, fat man out just yet. We may charge admission if some of y'all would like to come out and observe. Steez.....you get in for free.
Posted By: stxsangler

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 10:41 AM

Here is a couple of my opinions:
1. I use c-rig a lot and fish both braid and flouro. There are several times when one has outperformed the other. I always used braid at amistad, but later felt like the flouro came through the trees/brush/etc. much better. I use mono leader for shock and to help keep the bait up better with light trick worms.
2. Bead is very important. Learned the hard way in a tournament on Falcon using bass pro glass beads. The rocks and brass weight were chipping the beads and going thru 65# braid.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 02:16 PM

Where's Josh Alwine when you need him? wink

Anything in particular these guys need to do to make the data as relevant as possible? Okie said the same baits. What about the casts? Just split time front and back of the boat?

Really we are trying to see if braid is "as good as" fluoro at getting bites right? I think most agree it is more durable and more sensitive, but can it get equivalent bites in tough summertime conditions.

So really Okie, I think we just need you to hang with the FLW Pro. No problem, right? wink

I'm excited already. Have it on a Wednesday or weekend and I'm there. cheers

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Waiting on Hugh........

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 02:53 PM

So really Okie, I think we just need you to hang with the FLW Pro. No problem, right? wink

I'm excited already. Have it on a Wednesday or weekend and I'm there. cheers

Here's where the biggest problem exists.....

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 07/26/16 03:11 PM

i want some details on when and where.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 07:07 PM

What ever happened with this?

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 07:12 PM

popcorn
Posted By: dw173

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 07:33 PM

They may have a crowd of boats following to see how it plays out!
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 07:37 PM

I heard there was a huge fight where pistols were threatened , neither man has been heard from again

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
I heard there was a huge fight where pistols were threatened , neither man has been heard from again

We both came out of it unscathed....just choking a little bit from all the gunsmoke. This is gonna happen. We've just had a hard time scheduling a day. But it is gonna happen. Right, Biggsy?

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 08:04 PM

In the last week I have caught crig fish on braid and mono. I asked each of them and the fish said "I don't give a [censored] "
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 08:27 PM

Okie , you blew my story in 5 minutes
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 08:36 PM

Tom just to make it fair and a little bit scientific, when JB starts spanking you with his fluoro setup, you should switch and see if he continues to whip you with braid grin If you somehow start schooling him with fluoro, THEN we have something to talk about.

Otherwise we'll still have the debate, is it the indian or the arrow.
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 09:15 PM

In the last week I have caught crig fish on braid and mono. I asked each of them and the fish said "I don't give a [censored] "

roflmao

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 11:18 PM

If you did the test on Lake Fork, braid would loose. Don't ask me why, the bass in Fork decide that.

I love the fact that so many of you use braid on your C-rig. That just leaves more fish for me to catch. LOL

By all means, keep using braid.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/19/16 11:57 PM

you're up for a challenge Okie. I hired Biggs to take me and teach me deep water electronics in my boat. We spent 45 minutes covering basic bass fishing 101 and I was pretty much all ears from the minute he started talking. Soon he had hooks and weights out and was teaching me his setup. He covered it from hook, to knot, to type and size of swivel, to bead/no bead, type of leader and main line and so forth. He then idles over to the point where we were sitting. On the second cast he puts a 5 lb'er in the boat and in the first 5 casts he catches 3 fish! At the end of the day I thank him after losing a bait and realizing time was up. He says one more cast, throws out and catches the 2nd biggest fish of the day!

All I can say is I paid good money for these lessons, you will get them for free!! laugh
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/20/16 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
you're up for a challenge Okie. I hired Biggs to take me and teach me deep water electronics in my boat. We spent 45 minutes covering basic bass fishing 101 and I was pretty much all ears from the minute he started talking. Soon he had hooks and weights out and was teaching me his setup. He covered it from hook, to knot, to type and size of swivel, to bead/no bead, type of leader and main line and so forth. He then idles over to the point where we were sitting. On the second cast he puts a 5 lb'er in the boat and in the first 5 casts he catches 3 fish! At the end of the day I thank him after losing a bait and realizing time was up. He says one more cast, throws out and catches the 2nd biggest fish of the day!

All I can say is I paid good money for these lessons, you will get them for free!! laugh

Hell give me 400 and I will show you 30 spots on squaw where braid flouro doesn't matter. You have 2 to 3 feet of leader and it makes no difference in line. Period!
Posted By: barryfish

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/20/16 12:58 AM

I use 100lb big game with a steel leader.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/20/16 02:00 AM

Lake has been picked. One plastic will be used. My boat, James's spots......date is yet to be picked. Stay tuned for further details. Any predictions on outcomes? It's a win-win for me. If I lose, I've lost to a pro. Not as bad as losing to Steez....J/K Steez, you know you're my friend and you're a darned good fisherman to boot! I doubt I'll pop off a $500 bet, though. This could determine my set-up for future C-riggin' if James puts it to me, and C-riggin is prob my favorite summer presentation. That means I may catch more fish, or will I? Don't count this old, fat man out just yet. We may charge admission if some of y'all would like to come out and observe. Steez.....you get in for free.

Haha. I forgot about that day. Good times, with exception of blowing the motor in my Jeep to insure we were at the lake on time. Punctuality is one of my peeves. Even if it costs several thousand dollars. That, and making good on a word.

Joe Pool is a good lake for c rig. I'll Marshall it for you two, if I can ride behind in my own boat and fish a little as we move along.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/20/16 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden

Hell give me 400 and I will show you 30 spots on squaw where braid flouro doesn't matter. You have 2 to 3 feet of leader and it makes no difference in line. Period!

From what I've seen in local standings I could learn a boat load of info from you too.

my day with Biggs wasn't a Carolina rig day or a braid versus fluoro day. It was about showing me how to better use my electronics and understand what I was seeing. He showed up with one rod and one bag of baits, used my boat, fished a lake I picked and caught fish all day long. I was impressed.

Honestly I hope the results are very close. With my budget I'd much rather buy a line I can run for a couple of years before respooling than spend the money on fluorocarbon.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/20/16 03:35 AM

I love the fact that so many of you use braid on your C-rig. That just leaves more fish for me to catch. LOL

Please come to Mexico with us in a couple of months will you? Leave your braid at home and we will see how long it takes you to change your tune. wink

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/20/16 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden

From what I've seen in local standings I could learn a boat load of info from you too.

my day with Biggs wasn't a Carolina rig day or a braid versus fluoro day. It was about showing me how to better use my electronics and understand what I was seeing. He showed up with one rod and one bag of baits, used my boat, fished a lake I picked and caught fish all day long. I was impressed.

Honestly I hope the results are very close. With my budget I'd much rather buy a line I can run for a couple of years before respooling than spend the money on fluorocarbon.

It's hard enough to fish in boat with Borden 8 hours now without you stroking his ego lol.
Posted By: rscustomrods

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 12:02 AM

Am I the only one using a Carolina keeper and 20 pound flouro or 25 pound big game mono? An old guide who is no longer with us got me started doing it so that I only tied one knot and only had to worry about that one weak point. I have caught a lot of c rig fish on fork that way.
Posted By: HOTBAMike

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 03:11 AM

Curious on another applicable tangent.... 20 yrs ago, back in my teens, I would reverse my bullet weight to cause more commotion on the bottom. Since getting back into fishing this year, I've stuck with the standard setup and added a clacker.

Any of y'all fish reversed weight nowadays, and what's your opinion?

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: rscustomrods
Am I the only one using a Carolina keeper and 20 pound flouro or 25 pound big game mono? An old guide who is no longer with us got me started doing it so that I only tied one knot and only had to worry about that one weak point. I have caught a lot of c rig fish on fork that way.

I like the Carolina Keepers with 15 or 17 McCoys Mean Green. I've learned if I'm rigging a heavy weight, anything over 1/2 oz or so, I'll use two keepers. The heavy weights tend to make the Carolina Keeper slide and you lose your leader length. Stack two together and problem solved.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 10:49 AM

Yep Anchorman,

Once the line gets wet and a bit more fragile those keepers sliding can't be too good. Like you, I throw on a second if I'm using leader line all the way down and 1/2 oz or above.

Interesting idea Mike.... Seems like it might get hung up more but if it works for you.

thumb
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: rscustomrods

Not the only one. Less knots, easy to change leader length and to retie if fishing heavier cover. thumb

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 12:36 PM

Please come to Mexico with us in a couple of months will you? Leave your braid at home and we will see how long it takes you to change your tune. wink

Go back and read my post.....I said it makes a difference at Lake Fork.
So you are saying you get more bites with braid than fluoro, or are you saying that braid works better in the heavy cover you are fishing. Braid may be better for heavy cover situations but I doubt you get more bites using it than you would with fluoro. Anyway, it matters to the fish at lake Fork for some reason. I think it has to do with sound more than a visual thing because I catch bass at Fork on an Alabama rig and it is very visible with all the wires.

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 01:26 PM

Last year during the Skeeter Owners I had twenty plus fish over 5 lbs (not one weigher) and I had braid as a main line so while that might true for you, I'm just not buying it. It was a deep hump with too much timber around for me to trust my fluoro set up to horse them up and out fast.

I don't think anyone will argue you get more bites with braid. Better sensitivity? Yes. Better for dense cover or sharp rocks? Absolutely. The question for me is does the visibility of the line detract from the bites in our tea colored water? Not sure. I don't think the sound is a detractor, if any is made with any consistency, and I might be totally wrong here.

There are plenty of clear deep water lakes where even 20 pound floro won't get bit but I don't know that we have any of those in NE Texas.

Maybe our two competitors can shed some more light on the subject with the upcoming challenge.

fish thumb

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 08:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like braid for a main line on a C-rig and I used it for many years fishing Fork until I got beat numerous times by someone not using braid as a main line. We had the same leader type and length and the same bait. I don't know what it is about the fish on Fork but there is something to it, at least some of the time. I have no idea on what day it matters to the fish so I use fluorocarbon line as a main line on a C-rig. I have been told by several guides on Fork also that you will get less bites with braid then fluoro. They see it all the time they tell me.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Carolina rig with braid main line? - 08/22/16 09:20 PM

I have fished a Carolina rig for over 20 years and have caught some of my biggest fish and tournament limits doing it. I have done everything from Braided line with fluorocarbon leader to using back to back 3/8 ounce weights on it to using Carolina keepers because of not wanting to have extra knots to the simple 3/4 ounce lead weight, bead and swivel using McCoys 15lb mean green line which I have settled on for now. Don't know why I have switched around so many times and seems like there are pro's and con's to all kinds of methods to fishing. Guess it just comes to the fact that you do what you have the most confidence in at any particular time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum