Texas Fishing Forum

Line Conditioner Questions

Posted By: tbates

Line Conditioner Questions - 07/14/16 07:18 PM

Bought line conditioner to loosen the memory in some of my fluorocarbon leaders, but ever used the stuff before. I have a couple questions...

1) Do you simply just spray it on the line as it rests on the reel, do I have to work it in somehow?

2) Does anyone condition their braid?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/14/16 07:19 PM

1) Yes

2) Yes
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/14/16 07:19 PM

At the beginning and end of the day make an average cast, spray, reel about half way, spray, reel the rest spray. The end.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/14/16 08:21 PM

I believe the KVD line conditioner says to spray it on and let it dry a few minutes before using. I spray it on the night before, and, on the water, spray it on and dry 10 minutes or so. But there are several different conditioners as I'm sure you have seen.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/14/16 08:23 PM

If you haven't already, you can use the search mode on this forum and get a lot of info and opinions on this subject.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/14/16 11:32 PM

I'll save you the search. Save your money. NOTHING can make the line magically have no memory. Of course, that's my opinion.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/15/16 03:13 PM

A good stretching before fishing is a big help.
Posted By: propman

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/15/16 04:09 PM

I always spray KVD and stretch my FC the night before a trip.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/15/16 05:44 PM

Stretching is a key and line conditioner won't hurt.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/15/16 05:52 PM

The other thing I do, is I spray some on a piece of paper towel and hold it between my fingers when I'm putting line on a reel. Good stuff
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/15/16 06:00 PM

I've used them(line magic and kvd stuff) and I think they help some. But for flouro best thing I've found is to hook up to something solid then back up 100' or so and pull tight(not hard like a hook set just steady tension) and hold for a minute or so then reel back in. No kinks after that!! If you do it the night before you are good for the next day. Doesn't hurt to add your line stuff then too.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/15/16 10:33 PM

+2 what everyone is saying. I use Seaguar fluorocarbon and generally the night before, I will walk out about 100-150' stretch it out, reel in about 20' spray some KVD line conditioner, reel up another 20-30' spray again and repeat all the way in. Plus it gives you an idea if there are any weak spots in your line too... Once I'm done with all my rods and reels, I will spray down the spools one more time to be sure I got it all coated.
Posted By: wishn4fishn

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 12:09 AM

with all the rods I have.. I'd be up all night!!! roflmao
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 12:22 AM

Whew, roflmao thought I might be the only one.
God Bless
Lee
Originally Posted By: wishn4fishn
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 12:26 AM

Anyone use Reel Snot?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 11:54 AM

+1

I have 10 on deck, 12 in the rod box and my wife has 5 more at the back of the boat.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Whew, roflmao thought I might be the only one.
God Bless
Lee

^^^^^^this... roflmao
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 02:32 PM

I guess I'm the minority...I don't use any kind of line conditioner and don't have any issues. I've had some Sunline FC on one reel for almost 8 months now just to see/test how long it's going to hold up for. Still going strong so far...
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 02:40 PM

I don't bother with it. I used to when I fished a lot but to be honest I couldn't find any benefit from it. What I found is UV Rays will damage your line quickly. When I started turning my rods on the deck upside down and covering the reels with a towel the life of my line went way up. Depending on the rod/reel and what I use it for, I was getting 2 years out of some of mine. (McCoys Mean Green)
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Line Conditioner Questions - 07/16/16 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: LinkLowrance
I guess I'm the minority...I don't use any kind of line conditioner and don't have any issues. I've had some Sunline FC on one reel for almost 8 months now just to see/test how long it's going to hold up for. Still going strong so far...

If you keep your rods inside I think the string will last well over a year. I usually keep mine on until I have to replace due to cutting pieces off over time.

One of my rods has string well over a year old and I have no issue with it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum