Texas Fishing Forum

Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage

Posted By: I-N-JOY FISHING

Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 03:51 PM

I wanted to throw this out there to see if anybody has found a solution. I have two of the large worm binder bags and stay overloaded and the plastic ziplock envelopes are always tearing or wearing through. Is there a large tackle system out there that will hold all the plastics I have stuffed into the two large worm binders I have now? I thought about getting one of the larger soft tackle storages and just taking out the hard cases that come with them and somehow organize the packaged plastics in their original packages inside of that. Anybody try that and how is that working out? I want to be able to put the plastics into something that I can carry so when I fish in somebody else's boat I can just bring all my plastic with me. Suggestions/thoughts?
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 04:13 PM

honestly, I carry a backpack in these situations.... and in that backpack, I use the front compartments for hooks and weights and line clippers and that sort of junk, I also have a very small plano style box that can hold that stuff in the backpack.

Then I just load whatever I want in the main backpack and go.

I used to load it down with lots of stuff... but I've wheedled that down to just what I'll use.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 04:18 PM

I can hardly lift my bin of plastics. I use two Browning Bags. They large one (storage mostly, HEAVY) and a small one for toting.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 06:10 PM

Since I basically fish with just a couple of colors I use a Walmart bag. I use an empty Zoom bag for weights and one for hooks.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: I-N-JOY FISHING
I wanted to throw this out there to see if anybody has found a solution. I have two of the large worm binder bags and stay overloaded and the plastic ziplock envelopes are always tearing or wearing through. Is there a large tackle system out there that will hold all the plastics I have stuffed into the two large worm binders I have now? I thought about getting one of the larger soft tackle storages and just taking out the hard cases that come with them and somehow organize the packaged plastics in their original packages inside of that. Anybody try that and how is that working out? I want to be able to put the plastics into something that I can carry so when I fish in somebody else's boat I can just bring all my plastic with me. Suggestions/thoughts?

I do exactly what you are thinking all the time. I have several soft side bags that I keep soft plastics in their original package in. That way you can add what you need or take out whatever you don't need for the trip, depending on the season or techniques you plan to use that day.

Get a soft side bag that has other pouches on it for other stuff like pliers, hooks in their original package, weights, and dip n dye since you are planning on taking it with you as a co-angler.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 06:40 PM

I keep a collection of the originals in their bags at the house, but I put a few of each(about 5 or 6) in a plano box for quick access. If I ever like a color I will look through my collection and see what it was to buy more. To make for more compartments I put similar colors in the same compartment of the box.

If the bass are really keying in on that particular color and I go through my supply in the plano box then ooops. Hasn't happened yet though.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 07:01 PM

I haven't seen a great set up yet but I use 3700 boxes. Dump the bags out into a slot for whatever bait and color. Of course that takes up one back box in my boat but I can grab a box of the exact type bait I want then pick a color. Works for me but I know there has to be a better way.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 07:23 PM

Okeechobee Fats Large Soft-Sided Tackle Bag, I use this went not fishing in my boat. I can fit 5 3700 boxes and a ton of gallon size bags of plastics. In my boat I had 25 of the 3700 boxes at one time. Way too much. Now some 3700 boxes (5) and small tupperware bins separated by original plastic's bags and style.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 07:32 PM

If you don't keep the plastics in their bag, they will lose their scent. and may damage your box or the bait. You can find triple layer worm bags on ebay.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 07:47 PM

I have tried a bunch of different boxes and I always go back to the gallon size Freezer Zip Lock bags that I cram bags of plastics into. I organize them by style of bait. If I am going to go in someone else's boat I just grab a few more Ziplocks and throw what I think I will need into them and throw those into a duffle bag.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/14/16 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I have tried a bunch of different boxes and I always go back to the gallon size Freezer Zip Lock bags that I cram bags of plastics into. I organize them by style of bait. If I am going to go in someone else's boat I just grab a few more Ziplocks and throw what I think I will need into them and throw those into a duffle bag.
I do something very similar. For instance, I'll put bags of craws into the gallon size zip lock storage bags, sorting them by styles or colors, (lights and darks), then put those bags into 2 1/2 gallon bags with a strip of duct tape labeled "craws". Less clutter and works for me.
Posted By: Scott A.

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 01:16 AM

I use two small six pack size coolers to keep mine in, although I can't tell what all is in there easily.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 01:22 AM

I've never found a good solution to storing plastics after fishing for 30 years. There's not one IMO. I now have a pegboard in the garage with most of my bags on it and then each trip I take off what I will need and leave in BPS sacks in my middle storage bin on front deck. Grab as I need them. I always have surplus in there, too, so not to run out. Then, periodically, I have to go and revise what I have in boat and hanging on the wall. What a vicious cycle!!!
Posted By: Motomax

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 04:27 AM

I keep mine in a medium tupper ware style box in a filing method.
Posted By: krazydaddy2

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 08:03 AM

I use a paper holder purchased from staples. Its pretty much a rectangular shaped box with a lid that lets me put my worm in two rows. So far so good.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 11:56 AM

I agree with Okie. There is not a good way to store them. So I don't. I throw em in 1 gallon zip locks. And have them packaged into lakes, waster conditions, and time of year. I have 30 gallons worth. I usually only have to take one or two with me each day.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 09:47 PM

I really like the system I have now:

Large duffel/boat bag> 5 Plano speed bags inside> each speed bag is organized by type. The bags I currently have in my boat bag is: Senko/finesse worm, Curly tail worm, craws & creatures, flukes/ swimbaits, & a day bag.

the boat bag weighs a ton because of the # of plastics I can hold, but since it is so organized I can pull out the speed bag I'm looking for and find the bag I want very very fast. It fits nicely behind the bench of a center console.

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 09:48 PM

I have different speed bags for certain lakes, water conditions and times of year. just switch the speed bags out for different trips.

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/15/16 09:55 PM

You also have room in the boat bag for a culling beam, culling tags, weigh in bag, and buoy markers underneath the speed bags and an auto inflate life jacket on top of the speed bags so you're always tournament ready on someone else's boat.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I've never found a good solution to storing plastics after fishing for 30 years. There's not one IMO. I now have a pegboard in the garage with most of my bags on it and then each trip I take off what I will need and leave in BPS sacks in my middle storage bin on front deck. Grab as I need them. I always have surplus in there, too, so not to run out. Then, periodically, I have to go and revise what I have in boat and hanging on the wall. What a vicious cycle!!!

Refreshing, an honest fisherman!! There is not a good solution....
have to agree with Okie

God Bless
Lee
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 09:45 AM

Haven't done it yet,but full pegboard and constant rotation for every variable for each trip, about only way to go. My family thinks I'm addicted to the organization process, I hate it, I could use that time to fish.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 11:39 AM

I do exactly what you are thinking all the time. I have several soft side bags that I keep soft plastics in their original package in. That way you can add what you need or take out whatever you don't need for the trip, depending on the season or techniques you plan to use that day.

Get a soft side bag that has other pouches on it for other stuff like pliers, hooks in their original package, weights, and dip n dye since you are planning on taking it with you as a co-angler.
[/quote]

This ^^^^ is the answer to your what you are wanting to do. I have used this type of tackle storage for many years and it works very well. I just don't understand why some have problems with tackle storage unless they have never tried this system. Now in the boat I have several plano boxes with soft plastics in them with finesse worms for drop shotting and baby brush hogs because I use those baits a lot and they are always in the boat. Everything else is in the original package in a soft side bag with side pouches. Works great for me.
Posted By: TXWingStinger

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 01:16 PM

Nm
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 03:11 PM

I made this out of a wooden frame with slots from 1/4" pegboard. I have used this for several years, and it works great. If I'm going somewhere where I may use diff type baits I take some plano boxes out I don't think I would use and add more. ONe box I keep all my worm hooks and weights ect.

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313

I made this out of a wooden frame with slots from 1/4" pegboard. I have used this for several years, and it works great. If I'm going somewhere where I may use diff type baits I take some plano boxes out I don't think I would use and add more. ONe box I keep all my worm hooks and weights ect.

Looks good buddy. I like the way you used a piece of PVC to keep your C-rig leaders organized too!

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/16/16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I've never found a good solution to storing plastics after fishing for 30 years. There's not one IMO. I now have a pegboard in the garage with most of my bags on it and then each trip I take off what I will need and leave in BPS sacks in my middle storage bin on front deck.

I went over to his house and bought some off his pegboard then came home and hung them on my pegboard!! hammer

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/18/16 01:18 PM

I think the takeaway here is to keep your plastics in the original packaging, and find something (duffel bag, speed bag, plano box etc.) to keep your groups of plastics together that works for you. Let us know if you find something that works well for you!

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/18/16 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S
I think the takeaway here is to keep your plastics in the original packaging, and find something (duffel bag, speed bag, plano box etc.) to keep your groups of plastics together that works for you. Let us know if you find something that works well for you!

Agree....not only keeps them as well as can be expected but, you have all the mfg information on each package.
JMO
God Bless us all
Lee

** Again, JMO but, if you have soo many packages of plastics and are not a 'pro' or fishing for a living, you probably have way to many. LOL, I know I do....but I won't add to the problem and my habit by adding a 'pegboard' to store even more

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/18/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
** Again, JMO but, if you have soo many packages of plastics and are not a 'pro' or fishing for a living, you probably have way to many. LOL, I know I do....but I won't add to the problem and my habit by adding a 'pegboard' to store even more

Tournament registrations should start having meetings.. Hello my name is ______ and I'm a fishaholic.

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/18/16 01:35 PM

I will say that my pegboard full of baits and lures is a lot cheaper than a Shrink..

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/18/16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Connor S
I will say that my pegboard full of baits and lures is a lot cheaper than a Shrink..

roflmao Yep, your an addict..........

God Bless us all
Lee

Re: Suggestions on Plastic Worm Storage - 07/19/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

This is basically what I do, best I've tried so far.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum