Texas Fishing Forum

Abu Reels costing a leg

Posted By: Lowrider20

Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/14/16 02:49 PM

I've noticed that abu has some reels that are out of this world expensive. Most of the competitions end all be all reels reach $400, but it seems like Abu mas multiple models over the $300 mark. Is there something special about them to warrant the cost?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/14/16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Lowrider20
I've noticed that abu has some reels that are out of this world expensive. Most of the competitions end all be all reels reach $400, but it seems like Abu mas multiple models over the $300 mark. Is there something special about them to warrant the cost?
no. The market is flooded with reels in the $300 range. When they start to get $600+, is where it starts to get expensive. $300 is a good, average, middle of the road reel nowadays.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 12:01 AM

Cost this much because wealthy men and woman have decided they need new stuff all the time and keep buying it... Same as boats. Can't tell me these boats that cost 75,000 and up cost anymore than 25,000-30,000 to build... In my opinion.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD
Cost this much because wealthy men and woman have decided they need new stuff all the time and keep buying it... Same as boats. Can't tell me these boats that cost 75,000 and up cost anymore than 25,000-30,000 to build... In my opinion.

Before I say this....I want to say I agree. Prices are high ....especially for things that people WANT and don't NEED. NOW......

I hate to hear people talk the way you are talking. Market drives prices. Cost of living drives prices. Everything we, as Americans, have to be thankful for costs money. Our way of life. Our safety (compared to other countries) Our abundance of luxury junk. Everything.

If you asked the person building a bass boat to take a pay cut, so you can pay less for a boat...id love to hear their response. Haha. I don't know what you do for a living. But, whatever it is, I'd like you to take a pay cut, so whatever ever field of business you are in will cost me less money to make the product available to me for less money. .....

Get it? Don't care? Haha.

There is inexpensive stuff, more so than higher end stuff. There is a choice for people that can not afford luxury stuff...or simply don't WANT luxury or state of the art gear. Likewise, there is choices for those who have a higher devotion to the sport and want better, whatever that may be. None of these higher end products catch more fish than the lower end stuff. But, at the end of the day, some people enjoy the design a quality of a product just as much as they enjoy the end result. Fishing.

Just like watches....Rolex watches do not keep time any better than my iPhone's clock. But, even still, Rolex is still selling watches. Bentley cars are just cars....I can get a cheeseburger in a drive though in my Toyota Tundra just as easily. Haha.

The cost of this stuff is what it is. haha.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 01:07 AM

+1
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 01:09 AM

when the wealthy people buy new stuff, that means they need to sell their lightly used things to us noidea
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 01:12 AM

Rods and reels sub $150 will do the job well IMO. Companies have to have the over the top expensive product for those willing to spend the money. I guarantee the majority don't use them either.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 01:33 AM

Steez u said "haha" so much my head hurts.... IMO if u spend over 250$ on a reel u just are paying for it to be cooler than others
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 01:51 AM

It doesn't matter what you spend, as long as you're happy with what you have. I have many Abu Garcias and Lews reels and never spent over $100 on any of them, but I'm satisfied with them, and that's what it's all about.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Steez u said "haha" so much my head hurts.... IMO if u spend over 250$ on a reel u just are paying for it to be cooler than others
bouncy
Posted By: 361V

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 07:44 PM

Can't tell me these boats that cost 75,000 and up cost anymore than 25,000-30,000 to build... In my opinion.
Without an outboard!
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 07:49 PM

From someone missing a leg I don't like te title of this post, and I have a few of their reels. Just for knowledge my new leg cost me 32k.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 08:13 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
From someone missing a leg I don't like te title of this post, and I have a few of their reels. Just for knowledge my new leg cost me 32k.

That's a lot of reels man.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 09:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Of course nothing I said was with ill intentions, just a common expression used all the time "Costing an arm and a leg". It was simply a post to see if Abu used some sort of special sauce on their reels to warrant the price. Thank you for letting me know the price of a leg, Ill steer clear of that.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 10:03 PM

I cannot believe someone would be so uncaring and callus that they would make a statement like that

sorry you were offended Brad
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 10:22 PM

Unless you are making your living fishing there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars for rods and reels.

I had a forum member in my boat a while back on a Ray Hubbard trip. The whole time all he did was brag about his fishing equipment. $300 rods, $300 reels, $15 lures, fluorocarbon line, tungsten weights, and on and on and on! He gave me a lesson on how much fishing gear cost that day and I gave him a lesson on how to catch fish that day. The final score was 33 Bass for me and 2 for him and I did it with rod and reel set ups that cost less than a hundred dollar bill. I heard a lot of excuses that day as to why he couldn't catch them but he couldn't blame his fishing equipment because he had already let me know it was WAAAAAAY better than mine! hammer

The technology you can buy for $75 today is the same technology people were paying $300 for yesterday. Its your money to spend how ever you want. If you think a $300 Abu will make you a better angler than by all means buy you a $300 Abu. Been there; done that, and wont do it again.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 10:35 PM

I have cheap stuff but i never catch anything
Posted By: Cast

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 10:39 PM

I buy old used beat abu's and refurb them. Do it right and you got a sleeper reel.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 11:11 PM

It's a mater of " the value one puts on things"
Just ordered my 3 rd MGX SHS, these cast a mile and no backlash.
Also considering the Revo Rocket 9:1 ratio, but first I ll wait for further reviews
Besides its heavier than the MGX
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Unless you are making your living fishing there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars for rods and reels.

I had a forum member in my boat a while back on a Ray Hubbard trip. The whole time all he did was brag about his fishing equipment. $300 rods, $300 reels, $15 lures, fluorocarbon line, tungsten weights, and on and on and on! He gave me a lesson on how much fishing gear cost that day and I gave him a lesson on how to catch fish that day. The final score was 33 Bass for me and 2 for him and I did it with rod and reel set ups that cost less than a hundred dollar bill. I heard a lot of excuses that day as to why he couldn't catch them but he couldn't blame his fishing equipment because he had already let me know it was WAAAAAAY better than mine! hammer

The technology you can buy for $75 today is the same technology people were paying $300 for yesterday. Its your money to spend how ever you want. If you think a $300 Abu will make you a better angler than by all means buy you a $300 Abu. Been there; done that, and wont do it again.

I'm with you brotha, I've seen Mexicans catch fish with the string wrapped around a coke bottle and could cast 30 feet with it. I have a couple of Quantum 1310mg's and Garcia 4600c reels that I bought in 1989 and they work as good as the day I bought them. Clean and oil is all it takes. On the same note I have friends who play with a set of $2000 set of clubs and I can beat them like a rented mule. Has more to do with the guy on the other end of the rod and reel and golf club than the tool. If you see me with a $300 rod and $300 reel I stole it.
bolt

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/15/16 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Before I say this....I want to say I agree. Prices are high ....especially for things that people WANT and don't NEED. NOW......

I hate to hear people talk the way you are talking. Market drives prices. Cost of living drives prices. Everything we, as Americans, have to be thankful for costs money. Our way of life. Our safety (compared to other countries) Our abundance of luxury junk. Everything.

If you asked the person building a bass boat to take a pay cut, so you can pay less for a boat...id love to hear their response. Haha. I don't know what you do for a living. But, whatever it is, I'd like you to take a pay cut, so whatever ever field of business you are in will cost me less money to make the product available to me for less money. .....

There is inexpensive stuff, more so than higher end stuff. There is a choice for people that can not afford luxury stuff...or simply don't WANT luxury or state of the art gear. Likewise, there is choices for those who have a higher devotion to the sport and want better, whatever that may be. None of these higher end products catch more fish than the lower end stuff. But, at the end of the day, some people enjoy the design a quality of a product just as much as they enjoy the end result. Fishing.

Just like watches....Rolex watches do not keep time any better than my iPhone's clock. But, even still, Rolex is still selling watches. Bentley cars are just cars....I can get a cheeseburger in a drive though in my Toyota Tundra just as easily. Haha.

Most of what you say makes sense but disagree on workers taking a pay cut. It's the ones who write their checks that need a pay cut. In most businesses the ones at the top are getting most of the profit and not the hourly workers who can and do get replaced when the market gets slow. The market for "toys", bass boats, Harley's, golf clubs, Porsche's, etc. is determined by what the public will pay for them and when the economy is good they will pay a lot. Here's another example, right now $300,000 homes are selling for $400,000 and there's a waiting list. you think those Mexicans that are doing all the work are making the money? Don't think so. It's the builder driving the new Ford King Ranch turbo charged 250. Those workers at the Ranger factory have little to do with the cost of a new 522. It goes way higher than that IMO.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

I cannot believe someone would be so uncaring and callus that they would make a statement like that

Doug, I never said I was offended by it, just not a very accurate statement. I would be willing to bet between insurance and me personally 1 million dollars has been spent on my leg stuff over the years. So I fact a $300 dollar reel does not cost a leg.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Doug, I never said I was offended by it, just not a very accurate statement. I would be willing to bet between insurance and me personally 1 million dollars has been spent on my leg stuff over the years. So I fact a $300 dollar reel does not cost a leg.

I know you weren't that was sarcasm wink
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Most of what you say makes sense but disagree on workers taking a pay cut. It's the ones who write their checks that need a pay cut. In most businesses the ones at the top are getting most of the profit and not the hourly workers who can and do get replaced when the market gets slow. The market for "toys", bass boats, Harley's, golf clubs, Porsche's, etc. is determined by what the public will pay for them and when the economy is good they will pay a lot. Here's another example, right now $300,000 homes are selling for $400,000 and there's a waiting list. you think those Mexicans that are doing all the work are making the money? Don't think so. It's the builder driving the new Ford King Ranch turbo charged 250. Those workers at the Ranger factory have little to do with the cost of a new 522. It goes way higher than that IMO.

Just so I'm clear..... Your contention is that I go a million into debt to start a business because I have passion for an idea on how to deliver a superior service to the public and I don't get rewarded for that? I make as much as day laborers because they wake up at the same time as I do? What about the sleepless nights around bills coming due, marketing or not making payroll? They go get another job if I fail but it's not so easy when your name is on the note at the bank. CAPITALISM is what this great nation was built upon.

If you've ever fished three or four days with a Revo MGExtreme on an NRX you may value the lack of fatigue you get compared to the $150 combo. To some of us with arthritic hands and joints, the few hundred bucks is far less valuable. So I would say yes..... Abu makes wonderful reels, as do the other big players.

Steez is dead on.... The market will bear what it will and sure there are abuses to the system but there are too many new trucks and boats rolling around for anyone to take a pay cut anytime soon.

Some of us drive old trucks and old boats but that high end fishing gear is worth every nickel. wink
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 10:11 AM

wopics
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 11:32 AM

You can get rods and reels anywhere from inexpensive to very expensive, so it is up to you as to what price point is the most beneficial to you.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Just so I'm clear..... Your contention is that I go a million into debt to start a business because I have passion for an idea on how to deliver a superior service to the public and I don't get rewarded for that? I make as much as day laborers because they wake up at the same time as I do? What about the sleepless nights around bills coming due, marketing or not making payroll? They go get another job if I fail but it's not so easy when your name is on the note at the bank. CAPITALISM is what this great nation was built upon.

If you've ever fished three or four days with a Revo MGExtreme on an NRX you may value the lack of fatigue you get compared to the $150 combo. To some of us with arthritic hands and joints, the few hundred bucks is far less valuable. So I would say yes..... Abu makes wonderful reels, as do the other big players.

Steez is dead on.... The market will bear what it will and sure there are abuses to the system but there are too many new trucks and boats rolling around for anyone to take a pay cut anytime soon.

Some of us drive old trucks and old boats but that high end fishing gear is worth every nickel. wink

Sorry about your sleepless nights worrying about paying your bills but if your fishing with expensive rods and reels things must not be all that bad and I knew some would miss my point. I doubt men like Johnny Morris who owns Ranger boats spends little time worrying about paying his bills as do Lennar, Pulte and David Weekly and their presidents. As a former employer who started a business with a $3000 loan and working from his home I know a little bit about sleepless nights and can I spell capitalism in small or caps. My business never reached Ranger or Lennar status but I made a good living and after selling the business have a good retirement. My objection was not directed at small business owners but multi million even billion dollar organizations. If and when the economy goes south, and it will, and people quit buying $75,000 bass boats and $400,000 homes these workers will be unemployed but men like JM and these big home builders will continue their merry ways and wait for the economy to come back like it always does. If you can afford expensive tackle good for you but stop whining about your sleepless nights paying for it and if you're fishing 3-4 days in a row you can't be working too hard. Just sayin'.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Lot of this going around. Good post.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

wopics

Here you go Jack, not sure why they though I was pale white. Told them I guess I would just have to airbrush tattoos on this one to match my reel leg.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

wopics

Here you go Jack, not sure why they though I was pale white. Told them I guess I would just have to airbrush tattoos on this one to match my reel leg.

Then you can repaint them when you wanna change it up a little. cheers

Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 04:29 PM

I buy whatever I can afford at the time. Heck I have BPS reels that I paid $49 for that are 15yrs old and still work. I haven't bought a new reel in about 4 years now, but I always go look at them anyway! I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend on one item of your choice.

Re: Abu Reels costing a leg - 07/16/16 06:45 PM

Well this turned out to be something else. I like expensive things, and abu reels have caught my eye. I am a 13 fishing and lews guy. I have the Concept KP (Casts like butter) on a NRX 893 JWR. It feels like a turkeys feather. So light. I've just never used Abu!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum