Texas Fishing Forum

TFF Survey Results

Posted By: Mark Jones

TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 05:17 PM

John Redmon is the GoPro Prize winner from the survey. PM me John and we will get you handled. Also sent you an email. Congrats!

Here's some topline data from survey. It's not all the data and it certainly isn't a full data analysis. Thanks to all those who provided data. This was interesting data to see. Validated some basic assumptions we already had and showed some other new data as well.

How many days fished per month.

1-5 days (39%) and 6-10 days (42%) very active and not a surprise.

73% of respondents fish competitively.

Local tournaments (73%), Bass Club tournaments (49%) and Big Bass tournaments (42%) were the largest categories. This didn't surprise me.

83% fish Team tournaments

Only 37% of respondents have traveled out of state to compete. Again doesn't surprise me given our lake choices and the number of events held in our state. My initial guess would have been even lower.

Largest age ranges: 45-54 (27%) 55-64 (22%) and the 22-34 & 35-44 tied at (20%) each.

Total household income: $100k-$150K (32%) $150k+ (27%) All other categories were around 6% average. There's money on the board.

90% boat ownership. Big number.

Skeeter (24%), Ranger 17%, BassCat (10%) the "Other" category was (17%)

*Interesting note here is that Legend, Stratos, Phoenix were each only (3%) would have thought those numbers would have been slightly higher here in Texas. Especially for Phoenix here of late but no go...

Mercury (50%) Yamaha (37%) and Evinrude (8%) *Yamaha loses ground here as you move out of Texas.

Minn Kota (67%) MotorGuide (31%)

Shallow water anchor: None (60%) PowerPole (29%) and Talon (11%) Ton's of room for growth here for these brands in my opinion given the number of anglers without them. Price is certainly affecting that but even at the higher income ranges it's still significant the number of anglers without them.

Lowrance (52%) Humminbird (39%) and Garmin (6%)

97% Tow vehicle ownership

Ford (35%) Chevy (28%) Toyota (13%) and Dodge (12%)

Top Rod brands: Falcon, Dobyns, & Loomis

Top Reel brands: Shimano, Lews, & Abu

Top Bait brands: Zoom, Strike King & Berkley

Top Social Media: Facebook, YouTube & LinkedIn (Note that Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat numbers are on the rise)

Fishing Websites: Bassmaster, Wired2Fish & FLW top 3. Interesting note here is BASS was 83%. I see a lot of people respond on this forum that they don't follow the pros. This data says otherwise and speaks to the silent majority that do. You're watching professional fishing and following it online. In true Texas fashion though only 37% plan to show up for the Classic in our own state. smile

Top 3 TV shows: MLF, Honey Hole (Thank you!) and Bassmaster

Top retailers: Tackle Warehouse, Bass Pro, Cabelas & Academy. The smaller shops are simply not able to make an impact here although Anglers Pro Tackle did show up at 7%.

88% of respondents have shopped online with these brands and that doesn't surprise me.

54% of respondents hunt.

35% of respondents saltwater fish.

There you have it.

Posted By: Ranger1

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 05:26 PM

Mark are you sure it was John, I could have sworn I saw you pull my name out of that hat, I think we need a recount. LOL. Any hew most of those numbers doesn't really surprise me. The only thing that sticks out to me is the shallow water anchor number. When I see bass boats it seems everyone has them nowadays.

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 05:40 PM

Lol, good stuff. Yes, agree on shallow water anchor number.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
The only thing that sticks out to me is the shallow water anchor number. When I see bass boats it seems everyone has them nowadays.

I was thinking the same thing. Glad to see I'm not the only one fishing without them. If they ever get down into the $500 range, I'll get them, but it seems unlikely.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 05:55 PM

Interesting facts, thank you for taking the time and making the effort to do the survey.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 06:20 PM

We needed a survey like this! Great information. Thanks, Mark.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 06:51 PM

I'm in the group without shallow water anchors, I could easily afford to purchase some, but I honestly would use them only at the boat ramp the majority of the year. The price of rope is alot less than the shallow water anchor. I choose to spend my money on graphs and they are in use every fishing trip. Also another reason I don't have a shallow water anchor what does it cost them to manufacture one? Possibly 200 dollars and they are priced 1200-2000 each, they have just priced them to high for me to justify the purchase.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 08:50 PM

Wow! Thanks! At least I won something today considering how bad we did today in our tournament.

Thanks again!
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/09/16 08:59 PM

Great info Mark. Interesting that Falcon rods are the most common in the survey. hmmm

Thanks for putting this together. thumb

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 12:49 AM

No problem! cheers
Posted By: bronco71

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 12:52 AM

Bob is a lot like me!..... he didn't win either roflmao
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 12:55 AM

Great job Mark. Interesting information.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 04:41 PM

wow only 37% plan to go to the classic and there was so much talk about one finally in Texas if we don't support it it want come back.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: 206champion
wow only 37% plan to go to the classic and there was so much talk about one finally in Texas if we don't support it it want come back.

This is simple to me. We want to have big tourneys here so we can watch these guys break down and fish our lakes on TV but not neccessarily go watch someone weigh in fish. I've never attended a profeesional tourney and most likely never will but I sure like watching them on TV. I'd rather go fishing.
Posted By: bullwinkle

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 05:08 PM

Congratulations to John Redmon and thank you Mark for the survey.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 206champion

I went to one of the last ones where Ray Scott was the emcee ( that guy was a hoot ) and never enjoyed myself more. Got to visit with several of the pro's, who by the way were more than friendly, and got some autographs. Things are different, times have change and so have BASS. I'm going to be in the camp with Chris G. Under the current administration ( BASS ) and the changes that have been implemented over the years I'm more inclined to watch on TV. It's hard for me to tell what brand of boats they are in because now days they are all wrapped as well as their tow trucks. Looks like a bunch of parade floats coming down the road. I'm just old school and that's on me. There are many more youngsters bass fishing these days and that's because of BASS and FLW and that's a good thing.

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/10/16 10:36 PM

My personal thought here is that this will be one of the biggest Classics ever regardless of the data here. I think Houston will draw. But I've been wrong here before. Lol.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 01:01 AM

Just got my GoPro Silver, thank you so much. I wasn't expecting the higher end version. Thanks again sir!
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 04:06 AM

banana banana banana
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 04:28 AM

clap
Posted By: lconn4

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 04:45 AM

cheers

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: redmojo
Just got my GoPro Silver, thank you so much. I wasn't expecting the higher end version. Thanks again sir!

You're welcome. Enjoy.
Posted By: Lowrider20

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 02:45 PM

Well this was awesome. Thanks for putting it together!
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 03:25 PM

Mark, any data on how many people completed the survey and guesses on the % of the active community that represents?
Posted By: 9094

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 08:33 PM

So the largest percentage owned Mercury but also the largest percentage owned Skeeter boats
Interesting. All skeeters have yamahas

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/14/16 09:58 PM

Right at 600 responses. JP would have to answer on exact bass section numbers.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: TFF Survey Results - 07/15/16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Congratulations to John Redmon and thank you Mark for the survey.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum