Texas Fishing Forum

Trailoring the boat

Posted By: TxRanger1

Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:04 PM

When pulling my boat to the lake, I generally run about 65mph. I have guys pass me going a heck of a lot faster. I thought that the trailer tires were only good to around 65 or so. Am I missing something? 6 to 65 mph makes for a long trip sometimes.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:07 PM

Stand on the gas, I run 75 all the time pulling my boat.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:14 PM

Punch it buddy
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:22 PM

I used to run slower like you worrying the same thing. 70-75 now and never had any problems.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:22 PM

Going to run fast with trailer tires make sure they are at Max. Pressure.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:24 PM

What's the rush?
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:29 PM

I do now that I have tandem axles, didn't use to when just single axle
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:35 PM

I pass a lot of cars when I'm towing a boat. But I'm also a very good driver.
Posted By: coyotebass

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:42 PM

tire pressure good then go with it!
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:42 PM

I will often push 80-85 mph on Freeway and Hwy 103 in Austin with no problems. But if you decide to do it, make sure you are running a good premium trailer tire rated for the weight it is going to carry, keep them inflated to the maximum and make sure they are balanced properly.
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 09:48 PM

As long as you can stop it, hit the gas.
Posted By: MATT REGAN

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 10:05 PM

My Kumho tires are rated to 99mph look at the load range on your tires and it will let you know. Before i bought these I ran my od tires 80+ all the time, like said before TIRE PRESSURE is the key
Posted By: 361V

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 10:07 PM

Couple good points given to you above: 1. Drive as fast as you feel comfortable stopping and 2. Full tire pressure! Nothing wrong with couple pounds over but under inflated tires are the biggest culprit for heat and subsequence tire failure! Amazing how many people put 32lbs in their trailer tires because that's what old passenger tires used to all use. Most trailer tires are 50psi. Fill em up!....and occasionally maintain your bearings!
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 11:27 PM

If I'm going a long ways on freeway I'll get up to 85. Keep your trailer in good shape. And importantly. Get some good 10ply tires on your truck. I can not say enough about my Dick Cepek Fun Country tires. Truck is stable and stays hooked to the road. Bounce and sway is bad.
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
What's the rush?

The speed limit is 75 and when I am on a 2 lane FM, people get pissed driving 65.
Posted By: fishstick6

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/05/16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TxRanger1
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
What's the rush?

The speed limit is 75 and when I am on a 2 lane FM, people get pissed driving 65.

It's okay. When you see them on the lake later that day, Idle by them with a scowl and don't wave. roflmao Sorry.... too soon
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 01:06 AM

I figure the tires on my boat are H rated....so that's good for way faster than I want to go. I can say I have had mine, behind the truck, up to around 100mph once. Passing someone. Then I realized I was really getting out of hand.

I usually set the cruise control on whatever the speed limit is when towing. And around 5-10 over it when not towing.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 01:09 AM

If you're running a 12' single axle Dilly with 13" tires, then I would stay under 65. If you're running a tandem axle trailer with an average size bass boat, hammer down. I have run 85-90 on long trips- no problem.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 08:46 AM

I believe the speed limit for pulling a boat in Texas is 70 mph.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I pass a lot of cars when I'm towing a boat. But I'm also a very good driver.

That's a matter of opinion... bolt
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 11:40 AM

Like mentioned above , max out on tire pressure , long wheel base helps also .
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 01:43 PM

85-90 mph pulling a 4,000 lb rig. hammer
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 01:59 PM

Sorry, JMO but that's insane to drive and pull any trailer that fast.
Surely hope you don't ever have a blowout or flat tire on either truck or trailer.
angel
God Bless

Originally Posted By: lakeforkfisherman
If you're running a 12' single axle Dilly with 13" tires, then I would stay under 65. If you're running a tandem axle trailer with an average size bass boat, hammer down. I have run 85-90 on long trips- no problem.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 02:09 PM

unless laws have changed recently, the max speed for a vehicle pulling a trailer (in Texas) is 70, and only 65 at night. maybe that has changed in the last few years; don't know.

but, there is a reason for that lower speed limit. you may think you can control your big truck and big boat at 80 mph, but you can't, thus the lower limit.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TxRanger1
When pulling my boat to the lake, I generally run about 65mph. I have guys pass me going a heck of a lot faster. I thought that the trailer tires were only good to around 65 or so. Am I missing something? 6 to 65 mph makes for a long trip sometimes.

If your tires are in good shape and your trailer brakes work as they should, go with the flow of traffic. That's what I do.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 05:13 PM

I'm one of the slow ones too. I rarely go over 70 mph towing the boat unless I'm going through a city where everyone is speeding (more dangerous to go the speed limit a lot of the time) or after several practice/tournament days in a row where I'll really "let it fly" to like 73-74 mph. Usually more interested in saving gas than time, and I enjoy driving. Buy quality tires and keep them inflated to around 50 psi and she'll be fine.
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 07:44 PM

Look at your tires ratings. If its hot outside you will blow them if your exceeding their rating by over 20 mph. Your tires could be rated at 55 mph.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 07:55 PM

Peddle down, make tire pressure is right and go, promise you don't wanna go 65mph all the way when you got 500miles to get to where you are going
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/06/16 08:19 PM

I drive the speed limit, never been is that big a hurry. Not worth the speeding tickets or issues with blow out which I've had even running below the speed limit. I never have understood the need to run 20+ over the speed limit with or without a trailer behind me.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/07/16 04:49 AM

The furthest that I drive is about 2 hours to fish. The difference between 65-70 MPH and 80-85 MPH really makes very little difference in total time. It's like the people who drive 10 miles to get to work at 90MPH. They're gonna get to work like 2 minutes earlier. A big time saver to drive like a maniac. I get good mileage around 70 MPH, over that my truck just starts sucking gas. That's money I could be using towards lures.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/07/16 05:12 AM

There are no "Speed Limits" in Texas.

As to the question about trailers, I *THINK* they changed the law recently to clarify that the lower speed limits was for 'heavy trailers'.

Drive it like you stole it!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/07/16 05:15 AM

She comes in at 8,500lbs roughly. We run 65ish behind the cummins maybe 70 depending on how far the trip is.
Posted By: krazydaddy2

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/07/16 05:27 AM

I always run about 65, but new trailer tires are a lot different today. I will tell you most people that tow just do speed limit and not worry about it. My uncle always bought crappy used tires and they looked like they blow just sitting there,much less at 70. Just chalk my experiences to bad child hood memories. I still wait for tire to blow out on each of my trips. grin
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/07/16 04:47 PM

The faster you drive the less reaction time you have when something goes wrong.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Trailoring the boat - 07/07/16 09:45 PM

I drive at or slightly over the speed limit on the open freeways. In town I drive with the traffic. The speed difference comes in with the longer you have to drive. From my house to Falcon is 485 miles. If I drive at 65mph it would take 7.4 hrs. (all other issues factored out). If I drive at 75mph it would take 6.4 hrs. That one hr. doesn't sound like much, but if I leave here at 5pm it means the difference of getting there by midnight or 1am. And anyone who has made these long drives will them you after 10pm every hour you drive is like 1-1/2 hrs. and you progressively get more tired and weary. I don't advocate driving excessively, but do believe in maximizing my speed in the open highway
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum