Texas Fishing Forum

Alligator

Posted By: Murrydog

Alligator - 07/04/16 08:17 PM

What lakes and rivers in Texas have alligator in them? Are they native to that body of water?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Alligator - 07/04/16 08:30 PM

Around here, Choke Canyon. There are also reports of gators showing up in parts of the Guadalupe River. Two gators have been spotted in the Guadalupe within a month of each siting.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Alligator - 07/04/16 08:33 PM

Pretty much every one I've ever fished. Caddo, Pines, Tyler, Nacogdoches, Rayburn, Hawkins, Fork... all of them.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Alligator - 07/04/16 09:11 PM

They live in every major river system and all of the lakes that are attached. They're everywhere. They've been here far longer than we have.
Posted By: Murrydog

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 12:35 AM

Are they in Falcon lake/ Rio Grande?
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:00 AM

I know they've been found throughout the Rio Grande valley. Not sure about Falcon but I'd have a hard time believing there aren't any there. They aren't as common in southwest Texas as they are in the rest of the state, but if a river flows they find it.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:18 AM

Never been a report of one in the Brazos north and west of Whitney, or the upper Colorado in southwest Texas. None in Hubbard Creek or any other lake in west Texas. Basically never a report west of Weatherford.
Posted By: krazydaddy2

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:36 AM

They are probably there just hiding or no one has seen them. Gators are like people they just want to be left alone, but their always one in the bunch to screw it up for rest of us. grin
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094
Never been a report of one in the Brazos north and west of Whitney, or the upper Colorado in southwest Texas. None in Hubbard Creek or any other lake in west Texas. Basically never a report west of Weatherford.

please post your specific location & we'll get a gator shipped out there right away nuts
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:47 AM

They are in squaw Creek well established. One was killed in the same valley golf course a decade ago or so. Pretty sure I saw one at Aquilla last year but can't be sure. Just assume they are there
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:52 AM

Also just remembered some kids in cleburne caught on on a trot line in Buffalo Creek South of town couple years ago, called the he warden to relocate it. Buffalo flows into the Nolan which flows into the Brazos above Whitney
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 02:00 AM

Coleto Creek, Choke Canyon
Posted By: 361V

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094
As long as you don't count Squaw Creek. Both the reservoir and the creek. I live on the Brazos a couple hundred yards above where Squaw Creek enters the Brazos.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 02:55 AM

No gators in Falcon. . It would be big news if someone saw one.

We got plenty of everything else..
Posted By: 361V

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: NoWeighers
No gators in Falcon. . It would be big news if someone saw one.

We got plenty of everything else..
Because the Alligator Gar ate them all! Really though, you bring a good point up. The Rio Grande River looks like their type habitat. You would think they would have migrated up from the costal (brackish) reaches of the river over the years. Never heard of a single one up the Rio. Also I've never seen as many as in Choke Canyon. The American Alligator is a success story in my opinion. Now if we could just reintroduce the black panther to East Texas.......
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 02:26 PM

Remeber this one.. Huge

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/05/more-on-huge-choke-canyon-alligator/
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 02:35 PM

Fort Worth Nature Center has them, Eagle Mountain and Lake Worth (I think), and every now and then one creeps into the Trinity in Fort Worth. They typically remove them fairly quickly though.
Posted By: Bass33

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 03:18 PM

Been on PK close to 40 years, never seen a report of any gators on the lake or the Brazos heading to Granbury. The further north & west you go I think the colder winters are incompatible for them.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 04:53 PM

Saw one below the dam at Proctor a few years ago when I was in college.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 05:17 PM

They could be anywhere in Texas! I'm never surprised to see them.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 07:13 PM

There have been two in my pond in Pearland this year.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 10:24 PM

Seen 1 on grapevine after all these years and of course the other well known alligator lakes....
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 10:37 PM

Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Alligator - 07/05/16 10:39 PM

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Alligator - 07/06/16 02:10 AM

Had one come out if the brush about ten minutes ago here on the bayou. It was comng after my popping cork, lol. About a 4 footer.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Alligator - 07/06/16 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fast Lane

Stupid
Posted By: serg1001

Re: Alligator - 07/06/16 02:15 PM

I am currently living in Kingsville. There are many gators out in the little creeks surrounding town. Seen them many many times. Another place where I have seen them is out on Coleto Creek. One Saturday night I actually caught one. I landed it on the boat and my buddies and I took pics with it. No we did not hurt it and I can guarantee you we released it. The next morning we saw a huge one swimming across the lake. I have also been to Lake Corpus Christi in Mathis but have yet to see one there.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Alligator - 07/06/16 02:32 PM

Gators are awesome. Walked up on one between Palestine and Lake Mayo once. It hissed.
Posted By: Hoss Holding

Re: Alligator - 07/06/16 03:24 PM

I am all for them, they keep the jet skiers and tubers down at Choke, canyon needs a few of them as well as medina
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum