Texas Fishing Forum

Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice

Posted By: Skinner66

Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/04/16 08:11 PM

Been there before cat fishing years ago goin to bass fish for first time there any help and advice and places to go would be nice. Plan on being there around the 22nd of July
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/05/16 02:23 AM

You going to fish the Mexico side? That is where 90% of my places are and I will be glad to help you. If not I can give you a few good spots on the U.S. side.

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/05/16 02:42 AM

Just the U.S. Side Havnt been bass fishing just about six months and have heard Amistad was very good I just don't know we're to start I'm going to put my boat in there off 90 I think

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/05/16 04:08 AM

I like fishing up the river; so I would drive up to Box Canyon each morning. The parking is better; no long walk up a hill like the main ramp on 90.

- There may be a top water bite in the Amistad Acres Canyon.
- Look for any grass in the back 1/3 of the canyon.
- Then pull out on the river channel from Marker 12 to 14 fishing each and ever point out to 25 ft.
- Run to the back of Cow Creek at Marker 14, looking for grass all the way in the back of both forks.
- Big flats at Marker 18 to the bend in the river is another good area.

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 12:49 AM

Ok thanks any advice on what's the best thing to use. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Skinner66
Ok thanks any advice on what's the best thing to use. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again
I have always done well on bluegill pattern squarebills, and soft plastics in watermelon red.

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 02:24 AM

Spook around any grass you find in the back of the canyon. Then I throw a light C-Rig with a Baby Brush Hog. I drag this rig in 20 ft. of water off those points.
Also put a Fluke on it. Watermelon Red is a great color.
Posted By: CMcCravey

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 03:22 AM

Listen to Mr. Harper!! He gave me great advice! We fished there last weekend and caught over 30 fish a day (rough canyon end of the lake). We fished in Millers Creek a lot due to the wind and it was full of grass. Fished crig and tx rig senkos on the edge of the grass lines. Good luck

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 02:08 PM

Miller Cove: Glad to here the grass is doing well in there. When the lake had 30 ft. tall grass in it we slayed the Bass in there on my Heavy Drop Shot Rig. How tall was the grass, PT1909??
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 08:13 PM

Never been a numbers pattern but one tha has always got me some solid fish. Fishing the bluff walls where it is straight down . Depth never seem to make that much of a difference . Fishing with deep diving cranks and wacky rig
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I like fishing up the river; so I would drive up to Box Canyon each morning. The parking is better; no long walk up a hill like the main ramp on 90.

- There may be a top water bite in the Amistad Acres Canyon.
- Look for any grass in the back 1/3 of the canyon.
- Then pull out on the river channel from Marker 12 to 14 fishing each and ever point out to 25 ft.
- Run to the back of Cow Creek at Marker 14, looking for grass all the way in the back of both forks.
- Big flats at Marker 18 to the bend in the river is another good area.

Who needs a guide when you can get that kind of information. Good grief, thinking about writing all this down and head that way myself. you won't get that much info about Fork.
thumb

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/06/16 09:16 PM

If you want to stay on this end of the lake here is another spot that has it all.
- Head toward Rough Canyon.
- As soon as you make the first bend in the Devil's River to the left be watching for the next buoy river marker.
- On the left side of the river are a series of Islands.
- The deep creek that takes you in between the islands will be the first one on the left about 1 mile past the bend. That marker will be very close to the mouth of it.
- There are 3 nice islands in there. Main one on the left of the creek will be out of water. The North end of that island will produce good top water fish on a spook. Drag the C-Rig off the North end of it and around the point also for a big fish bite.
- 2 islands in the big bay will be underwater but easy to find as you head toward the mountain in the back.
- The island on the right going in is massive with half of it being under water. It has small headers notched out on the inside of the island which is the West side. All of those small fingers will produce.
- All the way to the mountain is a under water road that has been good to produce grass on the flats between the road and the mountain. I have won several tournaments dragging the C-Rig with a 10" Motoroil Red Flake Power Worm and Fluke.
- You can spend all day on those islands and humps in there and I have been wanting to go down and try my new Blade Jigs on those areas; so if you have a Chatter Bait throw it.

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/07/16 03:15 AM

Man thanks to all. Thanks Donald maybe I will get to meet you some day. Thanks

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/07/16 04:21 AM

Anytime you want to go to Amistad, Ivie or Falcon just let me know.
Posted By: LGoff

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/07/16 06:14 AM

Donald, thank you so much for this info. I was at Amistad on the 4th. Put in at Rough Canyon and tried working points on west side heading towards main lake. Only picked up 4 small fish due to winds. The bend you are talking about is up river?

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/07/16 12:50 PM

This last bend headed toward Rough Canyon is just as you are passing the San Padro. Then one mile to the islands on the left.

The other bend is up river on the Rio Grand. Start fishing the U.S. side at Marker 18 to the bend that turns North.

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/20/16 03:19 AM

Well headed out Thursday night start fishing Friday. Pretty excited
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/20/16 02:51 PM

The first set of trees off the first break are still holding alot of smaller fish, Texas rig Zoom Mag worm in Pumpkin seed. 16 to 25'

Re: Headed to lake Amistad end of month any pointers and advice - 07/25/16 01:34 AM

Had a good time caught a pretty good amount nothing real big but had a great time. Thanks to all of y'all
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum