Texas Fishing Forum

Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!?

Posted By: 361V

Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 03:02 AM

The battery topic has been worn out on the TFF for a while now. I decided to test the waters and bought 3 new EverStart 29DC deep cycles for $100 each to replace the $300 each Optima Blue Tops. While these look like conventional batteries they say "Maintainence Free" clearly on the batteries. Are these in fact maintainence free? Thank you, 361v.
Posted By: bullwinkle

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!?out - 07/04/16 03:26 AM

Just replaced my 6 year old Optima Blue Tops, D31M, with new ones. Got them from Street Side Auto for $218.00 each, No tax, free shipping.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!?out - 07/04/16 03:42 AM

I bought 2 Wally world Ever Maxx batteries about 2 yrs. ago. the first one cr@$pped out in 8 months. They only had the everstart (1 yr. free replacement)not the maxx (2 yr. free replacement)when I went in to get it replaced, so I went ahead and got it. It lasted 3 months. I have the latest and greatest on board chargers and thought the batteries would last longer than they did. I gave up on them because they mount under my center console and are a royal PIA to replace. So I went with blue tops.
Posted By: RL206

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!?out - 07/04/16 04:14 AM

You have to add water when it gets low. They will go bad right around the time the warranty is up.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 04:53 AM

As stated above water will need to be added., just jeep an eye on the level,make dang sure you only add
Distilled water. Presently on my second set of 29's. First set lasted 3.5 years. I take a voltmeter when battery shopping, test every battery while looking for freshest date. I' ve pulled out every one before and even the freshest date weren't reading fully charged 12.65-70. So it's imperative to check not only date, but it's voltage as well to ensure longevity.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 05:03 AM

I have had good luck out of Everstarts and will continue running them I have 2011s in my boat right now and they still work great. I'm sure I'll need to replace them by the end of the year, but imo you can't beat the price and when one goes out your normally just around the corner from a walmart.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 05:08 AM

+1 on checking the water. In the Texas heat it will evaporate really fast and if you cook it out with a charger, its done. I think that is true of any lead acid battery, not just Wal-Mart.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 12:01 PM

I use the Everstarts and maintain the water levels. I've always had good luck with them. They last me approx 3 years and more sometimes, and I don't have to break the bank when they need to be replaced.
Posted By: snickers

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 12:35 PM

It is all I use. And they are all I will ever use. Mine are 3 years old now and I use them all the time. In 10 years I have had 2 go bad and got free replacement on both of them. My boat stays in AC building so my water levels stay good and I never have to add water.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 01:36 PM

I have ran and used just about every kind of battery out there in 34 years of guiding and put them through over 250 days of year abuse.Nothing is Maintainence FREE.IMO

I will say the Ever start Maxx is one of the best. As mentioned earlier you must keep a eye on water/acid level.

On board chargers will boil them down to nothing and battery will go bad no matter who makes it.

I add water 2-3 times a year. In fact if you think your battery is bad, before you replace it check the water level and if low fill it and recharge it before you go buy another battery.

You may not even need a battery just maintainence on the one you have.
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 02:11 PM

Ive had my everstarts since 2008, never done anything but charge after each use. Like the energizer bunny. Still going.
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 04:16 PM

I got no complaints with anything Walmart. I've used the maxx 29's for as long as I can remember dating back to the early 80's. Great value as far as I'm concerned. Charge 'em asap following a trip, check the water, you should be good to go.
Posted By: ZX-250

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 07:15 PM

Just bought one today. It's my first ever start.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 07:49 PM

I've gone from the Optima blue tops to the Wally World specials. I was cooking blue tops at almost the same rate so it was hard to justify the difference in cost. I've realized I need new batteries every 2 or 3 years no matter the brand. I did get a blue top for my starting battery but this will be my last one. I'm already having to jump it off after 2 months. bang
Posted By: salex

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
I've realized I need new batteries every 2 or 3 years no matter the brand

This.
Posted By: Basser1OH

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 10:10 PM

I have used the Maxx 29 DC's for a number of years. They have lasted 3-4 yrs each set. I am due for new ones.

Does anyone know of a WalMart on the north side of Dallas that carries them? The WalMart website says they are out of stock and after checking in Denton and Cross Roads no luck.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 11:19 PM

I'm sticking with my 31's from Academy at $110 and a starting battery (29) still going strong 6 years later.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/04/16 11:56 PM

I had them in my old boat. One went bad just before the warranty went up. They exchanged it for free and got a new warranty on it. The fact that it was a Walmart battery saved me on a fishing trip far from home due to the fact that there are Walmarts everywhere.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/05/16 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
I've gone from the Optima blue tops to the Wally World specials. I was cooking blue tops at almost the same rate so it was hard to justify the difference in cost. I've realized I need new batteries every 2 or 3 years no matter the brand. I did get a blue top for my starting battery but this will be my last one. I'm already having to jump it off after 2 months. bang

Two of my buds got bad Optima blue tops right off the bat. You are Lucky Number 3.... smile
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/05/16 09:58 PM

For over 20 yrs. I have been replacing my original boat batteries with Ever Starts or MAXX. About 15 yrs. ago a Wally world auto mechanic told me the little round sticker on the top of the battery tells you when it was made. The letter stands for the month and the number for the year. Example C/6 means it was made in March of 2016. Look at these closely before selecting the battery. I have seen some batteries that were already 10-11 months old and still on the shelf. I have never had trouble with a battery lasting after I learned this. I have 2 in my old Astro that are 5 yrs. old and still good.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Walmart EverStart Deep Cycles!? - 07/05/16 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I use the Everstarts and maintain the water levels. I've always had good luck with them. They last me approx 3 years and more sometimes, and I don't have to break the bank when they need to be replaced.

+1; I check the water from time to time, and install new batteries every 3 years. No problems.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum