Texas Fishing Forum

Weight of fish

Posted By: krazydaddy2

Weight of fish - 07/01/16 03:46 AM

What scales are good and accurate for measuring the weight of bass just for recreational use? Bogas and other suggestions are welcomed especially from hands on users. Target price around $100.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 11:33 AM

I think you answered your own question, for that price range, Bogas are about as good as they get. If you shop around you can find them in the low $100's.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 11:55 AM

I've had a Rapala scale. It was very close to a reference scale. And exactly dead on the same as other Rapala scales I compared it to. Only thing, it had water splashed on it and now it doesn't work. splat
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 01:36 PM

I've had good luck with Berkeley scales. I use a gallon jug of water to test them and they are never more than a couple ounces off
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 08:52 PM

Boga Grip

We have em' at Monster Fishing Tackle for only $119! I have one myself and it is WELL WORTH the money. The Boga Grip is very accurate and I haven't had any problems with durability.

Rapala Touch Screen Tournament Scale

My personal favorite is the Rapala Touch Screen Scale. This scale allows you to keep track of your "best 5" fish. That's super cool and it's incredibly accurate. This scale is almost $50 cheaper than what you're looking for, but it's just as good and it does more than just a standard scale.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 10:54 PM

Everyone always talks about Bogas, but don't they only weigh in 1/4 lb increments? I don't want that much variance. I want down to the ounce or less. Am I wrong?
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 10:59 PM

Rapala digital scales are pretty good. I've had it for a couple years and it is always pretty close to the certified scales.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Weight of fish - 07/01/16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94

Rapala Touch Screen Tournament Scale

My personal favorite is the Rapala Touch Screen Scale. This scale allows you to keep track of your "best 5" fish. That's super cool and it's incredibly accurate. This scale is almost $50 cheaper than what you're looking for, but it's just as good and it does more than just a standard scale.

It's what I have...just wish I caught more fish worthy of its use smirk
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: Weight of fish - 07/04/16 01:58 AM

I've had a xtools floating scale for like nine years. It is surprisingly accurate and still has the original battery.
Posted By: krazydaddy2

Re: Weight of fish - 07/04/16 02:05 AM

Thanks guys for all comments and suggestions, they are all appreciated.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Weight of fish - 07/04/16 02:18 AM

RaPala digital for me it's usually within a couple ounce of tournament scales at 20lbs
Posted By: ABit

Re: Weight of fish - 07/04/16 11:25 PM

I purchased a Rapala digital scale on sale at Dicks and bought a fish grip separately and attached it to the scale. Spent less than $30 I believe and it hasn't failed me yet.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Weight of fish - 07/04/16 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000
Everyone always talks about Bogas, but don't they only weigh in 1/4 lb increments? I don't want that much variance. I want down to the ounce or less. Am I wrong?

I'd rather have a scale I can trust that only reads in 1/4 increments than a digital that might or might not work.
Posted By: TomHarvey

Re: Weight of fish - 07/04/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
RaPala digital for me it's usually within a couple ounce of tournament scales at 20lbs

Smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum