Texas Fishing Forum

Old new fishing line

Posted By: TXwelder

Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 06:38 PM

Does fishing line lose stregnth after years.... Unspooled. Sitting in room... Fluor/mono 8#-20# fc pline Berkley
Posted By: Cast

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 07:29 PM

As much as it costs now, no. Use it.

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 08:06 PM

Thanks for response.. Just still skeptical. Would hate to break off onr
Posted By: 361V

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 08:28 PM

I feel it weakens in just a year in unconditioned garage with extreme temperatures. I store my rolls of line in a closet inside. I feel it's good for years. If yours has had a lot of heat/cold and now has lots of memory I would pitch it. Probably some guys here that will dispose of it for you! laugh
Posted By: Cast

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 09:04 PM

I was looking at Fluor leaders the other day. Let me know if you wanna get rid of it.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 09:04 PM

Spool it, tie it off to something, walk off 100 feet or so and stretch it as much as possible to see if it breaks. If not use it.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TXwelder
Does fishing line lose stregnth after years.... Unspooled. Sitting in room... Fluor/mono 8#-20# fc pline Berkley

I would use it. Spray some KVD line cond on it and let er rip!

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Trickster
Spool it, tie it off to something, walk off 100 feet or so and stretch it as much as possible to see if it breaks. If not use it.
smart idea ill most likely do that! thanks

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/29/16 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I was looking at Fluor leaders the other day. Let me know if you wanna get rid of it.

yeah i may get you on some i found some line for sale, atleast 8 spools of fc sniper in mono 14# 16#/fluor 8# 10# 16# 20#
plus some pline co-poly for like 50bucks debating if its worth it
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/30/16 12:24 AM

I have some Seaguar in my closet that's been there over 2 years... I put someKVD spray on it and it works great...
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/30/16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
I feel it weakens in just a year in unconditioned garage with extreme temperatures. I store my rolls of line in a closet inside. I feel it's good for years. If yours has had a lot of heat/cold and now has lots of memory I would pitch it. Probably some guys here that will dispose of it for you! laugh

+1

It will last a lot longer in a controlled enviroment, especially in Texas, the constant changing temps over time is not good on any types of line. To make it last longer I would def recommend in a closet or room inside where the temps stay pretty consistent. If that is how it has been stored, I would not think twice about using it. I know of several of the Elite guys that have bulk spools of line sent to them every so often and it builds up pretty good, but all of them(that I talk to or know) keep the line in its original box in the top of a closet or tackle room.

Re: Old new fishing line - 06/30/16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Corey Stanley
Originally Posted By: 361V

+1

It will last a lot longer in a controlled enviroment, especially in Texas, the constant changing temps over time is not good on any types of line. To make it last longer I would def recommend in a closet or room inside where the temps stay pretty consistent. If that is how it has been stored, I would not think twice about using it. I know of several of the Elite guys that have bulk spools of line sent to them every so often and it builds up pretty good, but all of them(that I talk to or know) keep the line in its original box in the top of a closet or tackle room.
thanks corey! You have always been then one to seal the deal for me! Thanks everyone else
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum