Texas Fishing Forum

Football Jig and trailer help

Posted By: Ranger Z118

Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 02:16 AM

Own a few santone and black angel in 1/2 and 3/4, but have not had much success. What sizes and colors are best for summer for east Texas lakes in 10-20ft of water? More importantly what trailers are a must?
I appreciate the help in advance!

Thank You,

Brian
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 02:24 AM

What lakes? Lake Tyler, Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend???? What water color? Are they "keying" on Shad or Crawfish or Barfish?
I do good with a Sexy Shad Skirt with a Shad color Skinny dipper, but I also like the Green Pumpkin with a Green Pumpkin Natural Forage Mad Craw. But Black and Blue is a good staple color also. You just need to pick and stick with it and hope they are on jigs the day you go fishing. Really it's too BIG of a question. The better question is "WHERE do I need to try and fish a football head jig?" Whole new question! banana

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 02:43 AM

Palestine
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 04:06 AM

This.

Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 04:39 AM

Santone-JC Spice is deadly this time of year with a pit boss chunk trailer, PB & J and Mexican Heather are my favorites
Trailers- Pit boss chunks, super speed craw or brush hog.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 10:37 AM

I like pbj and blk purple this time of year and I usually use either a pit boss or speed craw in watermelon magic

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 11:45 AM

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
This.
Chigger craw trailer.

Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/23/16 05:30 PM

Fin Junkie Football Jig

I've fished Lake O' the Pines with this jig in the watermelon/brown color and had phenomenal success! I consider Lake O' the Pines "East Texas". I like this jig and it's the best football jig out there if you ask me. I like the head design, and the hook is super sharp! Great quality skirts too.

Missile Baits Twin Turbo

As far as trailers go, the majority of the time I use this double tail grub in the "Green Pumpkin" color or "Bamer Craw" color. This is my go-to double tail grub. I love the action of this grub and it's great for football jigs!

Netbait Paca Craw

I do like to use this craw during the Summer. Everyone knows that the Paca Craws are top notch baits and are in a lot of anglers' tackle boxes. The flappers on this bait move and kick a lot of water and are great for helping the fish find the bait. It's also loaded with scent and pork fat so the fish hold on longer.

Gene Larew Biffle Bug

Another great option is a Biffle Bug. These things have crazy action and I use these when the water is stained or muddy. I've always loved the Biffle Bug and they're great fish-catchers!

Berkley Gulp Alive Attractant

Don't forget to spray this on your baits. This stuff is awesome and I spray all of my baits (soft & hard) with this stuff. Using spray will not only mask your human scent but it will help the fish find the bait better in deep water. It won't make them bite better, but they'll find it easier and hold on longer. It's potent so use just a little bit. And if you happen to get this on your boat, it comes off super easy. Just splash a little water on it and it's gone. Good stuff!

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 02:37 AM

Thank You and both good looking jigs!!
Posted By: jseago

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 04:20 PM

Keep in contact with the bottom, I didn't catch many on a fb jig until I learned that. You can play with the retrieve some, but dragging it works a high percentage of the time. Ever soft craws are my favorite trailer.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 04:28 PM

I prefer the Rage Craw for a trailer on my football jigs about 90% of the time. As stated, the football jig is a different presentation than a flipping jig. Drag and crawl. Don't hop it or stroke it. You move a football jig with your reel more than your rod tip and slow is typically best.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 05:33 PM

I don't know which black angels you have but caramel apple was my fav. Football jig color. Like stated above, drag it 90 percent of the time. Slower the better in my experience.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 08:24 PM

Black/Blue is always good to have. Like someone said above it would depend on the bait. If its craw I go with brown and add color with a trailer, if its shad just pick a white (sexy shad). I prefer the Rage line of plastics most of the time for my trailers.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 08:28 PM

Green pumpkin blue, and PB&J are some of my go to ones for most east Texas lakes. Pair that up with either a xcite rapper tail chunk or something like a Missel baits d-bomb and ur good to go. I like a slow Drag for presentation
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/24/16 10:37 PM

Caught a 12 on a jig with a Zoom Horny Toad on it as a trailer!
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Football Jig and trailer help - 06/25/16 04:31 PM

Hopping a jig will work sometimes too. But dragging works most of the time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum