Texas Fishing Forum

Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor?

Posted By: RJF1423

Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 02:34 PM

So, I have finally narrowed down to two trolling motors. My question is, is $450 extra worth it for the GPS features wireless trolling motors have these days. I really love the idea of being able to anchor on a spot, etc... I just want to know from those that actually have and use these features if they are worth the extra money.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 02:48 PM

Don't upgrade twice.

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Don't upgrade twice.
I'm assuming that is a yes?
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 03:33 PM

Didn't we have some guys on here saying the TM turning on and off again and again became an issue.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 03:38 PM

I have this on my Skeeter and am loving it, good thing is the water doesn't get to deep as it will with PP or Talons
I have fished with it in anchor mode and water coming over the bow, it held position

MG Xi5

I have a MK wireless with GPS on one boat and the MG on another. MG gets my vote and that is from someone with one of each.

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: jhall239
I have this on my Skeeter and am loving it, good thing is the water doesn't get to deep as it will with PP or Talons
I have fished with it in anchor mode and water coming over the bow, it held position

MG Xi5

I have a MK wireless with GPS on one boat and the MG on another. MG gets my vote and that is from someone with one of each.
This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I had been trying to decide on MK vs MG as well and it seems like just about everyone says the MG Xi5 is better.

Which one do you have? 105lb or 80lb?
Posted By: McKinneyMike

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: RJF1423

MG Xi5

This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I had been trying to decide on MK vs MG as well and it seems like just about everyone says the MG Xi5 is better.

How big is your BB? Bigger is never an issue IMO.

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike

MG Xi5

How big is your BB? Bigger is never an issue IMO.
It's a 20' fish n ski. Skeeter SL210. It's actually a pretty lightweight boat. I have convinced my wife to let me buy the 105lb but since I have to switch from 24v to a 36v system it's gonna cost a lot extra. I calculated it all up and it is going to cost me $1650 to do the 105lb Xi5 and $1150 to do the 80lb Xi5. I could get the 36v 105lb X5 with cable steer and no GPS for around $1200. I know I should get the 105 but I don't know if I should spend the extra money. My original budget was supposed to be $1300 so I'm sitting here weighing the options.
Posted By: woody123

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 04:42 PM

I wouldn't do anything till after I-Cast in July, new things coming

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 04:45 PM

Aren't these Xi5s brand new though?

I don't know if I can wait that long!!
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 05:10 PM

I am a MK guy, but I have heard great things about the Xi5.
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 05:16 PM

I bought an Xi5 80# 54" with pinpoint and Universal transducer shaft about a month ago, I run it on a 2000 19' Sprint 296 DC. I am not hooked up to a Lowrance that can add additional controls.

Pro's:
This is without a doubt the best purchase I have ever made on a fishing product. Anchor mode is the primary reason I bought it and the feature I use the most. Second feature is jog, then cruise and haven't used the route feature yet.

Anchor mode will absolutely make you wonder how you ever did without it. Mine holds within 5' and I have been out in 25 plus winds already. You have to learn to preposition your boat befor applying the anchor, once you get it down the value is obvious. I love C-Rigging deep points and the anchor holds me so I can really fish a spot. I can then jog in any direction in 5' increments down the point. I stay on the fish longer and no fighting the foot control and trying to adjust my speed to stay on target.

Fishing underwater breaks and humps is much easier. I stayed on a submerged bluff wall that went from 17' to 32' for over an hour and never touched the trolling motor control and consistently saw the same rock pile on my graph the whole time.

Flipping brush, I just point in the direction down the bank and put it in cruise towards a specific spot. Just adjust occasionally and it keeps you on track.

Battery life has been amazing so far.

Con's:
Mounting is critical. Thought I got mine right but when I launched the first time the trolling motor mount hit the bow roller on my trailer. I can't power load now, I am going to have to get one of those Liftsavers that bluenitro is selling on TFF to adjust the height and position.

Anchor mode. My first time using it was in a tourney on Ivie. Anchor mode cost me 3 really good fish. 2 swam through the TM prop and cut the line, both easily over 8. 3rd got in a tree and I jogged the wrong way instead of turning off anchor mode and she broke off. Once you remember that anchor on/off is the same button this problem is fixed.

Controller on the lanyard/rope has 2 issues. 1- is the plastic loop on the controller broke so my controller is now taped to the lanyard. 2- when deploying the Xi5 be careful because the lanyard around your neck has a tendency to get hooked/roped around the TM head and tries to pull you in. This is how I broke the attachment loop on the controller.

The transducer cable was cut on my first outing. Make sure it is tight, mine got behind the release mechanism and cut it down to the wires. Watch this as it is very easy to do if you are not aware it can happen.

All this said my Xi5 is much like my guns. You can have it when you pry it from my cold dead hands. Can't imagine fishing without it.
Tip: Universal Mania beat most places in price by about $200.00.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 05:38 PM

I have the MK Terrova
wouldn't take for it .... 185 Skeeter 80# 60 inch shaft Anchor Lock is great ........ used in the Skeeter Owners to stay on good quality 23 inch slot fish hammer
I have never used MG ,,,,,, so I wouldn't speak as to which is better ......... better the spot lock feature is great.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 05:47 PM

go out for a ride with one,..I have a MK Terrova 80,..I'm at Fork most weekends.
take ya about 15 minutes to see if ya like or not..Demos' are $100 an hour.

just kiddin,.. fish
Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 10:00 PM

Will the xi5 link up with a Humminbird, or just a Lowrance? Does the spot lock work without it being connected?
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 10:21 PM

The Xi5 will only link with Lowrance, and the MK with Humminbird... For now. The Xi5 with pinpoint GPS has spot lock/anchor built in.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/22/16 11:38 PM

If you fish deep YES. If you don't YES. You will use it. Like 4WD better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I have a MK Terrova 80 with 60" shaft and love it.
Posted By: Wrangler1

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 01:05 PM

Seems like I had heard some complaints about shallow water fishing with these but can't remember what they were, don't they have a foot pedal as well as the remote?

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Wrangler1
Seems like I had heard some complaints about shallow water fishing with these but can't remember what they were, don't they have a foot pedal as well as the remote?
Yep they sure do.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 03:50 PM

without a doubt worth every penny! I can't tell you how much I love my spot lock on my xi5. Generally I use it the most when my hands are busy. It will keep you still while you handle any business.

Then even better, when it's time to leave, I aim my boat towards the dock, hit the gps, and say GO - I clean up the boat while the motor moves in the direction I want to go.

Just Lowrance on the xi5.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 03:52 PM

They do have a foot pedal, it's a little learning curve, but you pick up really quick.

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 03:56 PM

MG Xi5

80LB

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikeyb_23
Will the xi5 link up with a Humminbird, or just a Lowrance? Does the spot lock work without it being connected?

Lowrance to my knowledge only but there may be a connector that will make the switch I am not sure

Yes spot lock works on internal GPS in the Xi5 no need to be connected
I have the foot pedal and only eve4 used it to make sure it works
Someon mentioned keeping an eye on the remote , that is the only problem I have had getting it caught in steering wheel for me, BUT, even though I told them straight up it was my fault for breaking it MG sent me a new housing for the remote free of charge
Posted By: woody123

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/23/16 04:06 PM

It will be worth the wait
Posted By: Wrangler1

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/24/16 12:03 AM

Anyone know if many of the pros use them or not and why, if not?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/24/16 12:49 AM

Anyone know if many of the pros use them or not and why, if not?

The pros don't use them due to the crummy mount and the brittle shaft on the Terrova 101 like I have. Okay so the spot-lock feature is the bomb in open water deep structure BUT that is where my compliments end. The foot pedal is slow to respond compared to the cable steer of the manual foot controlled models. I kept that one too for spring time shallow fishing around stumps.

If you bump a stump solidly with the Terrova, the shaft breaks. Done it twice on my boat. The unbreakable polycarbonate shaft is anything but unbreakable. This is a known fact among Terrova users that fish stumps. My god-son D-Hobbs has also broken two shafts on his Terrova. He went back to his MG after replacing the shaft the second time. Just too much downtime with the Terrova.

And that my friends is why the Pros don't use them.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/24/16 02:32 AM

I will never own another boat without an Xi5. I had a Terrova and sold it to buy an Xi5. I also broke the housing on my remote and received a brand new remote in the mail 3 days later. I now have a back up remote for free. MG customer service is some of the best I have ever experienced. I recommend that you go out on a boat with someone that owns a Xi5 to see the features.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/24/16 04:03 AM

I fished stumps and hit plenty with mine but never had any damage. It pretty much would flex then bounce off. The only way that I could have seen mine breaking is if it was overpowered for my boat and I was trying to get on pad with it. I'm without one on my new boat and miss it every time I fish.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Is Pinpoint GPS/Spot Lock worth it on a trolling motor? - 06/24/16 04:48 AM

Have the Terrova on my 22' Skeeter Bay boat. Wouldn't own another trolling motor without the spot lock option.

When beating the bank I prefer the cable steering, but much rather use the digital when fishing the bank so I have the spot lock function when off the bank.

It allows you to keep the boat in the same position. Pretty soon you get a feel as to every brush pile around you.

If you move the boat to unsnag a lure or go after a fish that gets you wrapped up, press the return button and it will take you back to the exact same spot you had locked on.

My TM is not linked to my Humminbirds. So no, they don't have to be linked for spot lock. GPS receiver in TM can work independently of units.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum