Texas Fishing Forum

Ants in the Boat

Posted By: Royce Sanders jr

Ants in the Boat - 06/21/16 02:08 AM

I have little black ants in the boat and on the cover, where did they come from and how to get rid of them? Anyone else have this issue?
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/21/16 02:10 AM

I sprayed all the edges around compartments and whatnot with any killer and fogged the boat for good measures
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/21/16 02:48 AM

Pour ant killer around the trailer and fog the boat with the tarp on and compartments open.them dudes will get in your electronics and set up shop
Posted By: fishinlance

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/21/16 02:50 AM

Do they kinda look like termites real small
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/21/16 02:58 AM

They are after your cracker. No food in the boat. Ha... There may be a nest. Use a gallon of water with Dawn Dish Soap in it. Pour it in the gunnel of the boat. lower the bow so it runs to the front of the boat. Raise it up and down to move the detergent from one end of the boat to the other. Any insects in there will surface. Never spray insecticides around where your line on reels will be laying. It will eat the line; then you will be wondering why you broke off. Fumes from gas spills and things like insecticides are a line killer.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/22/16 10:14 AM

Feed them some cornmeal, they can't digest it, I found some around my cooler lid Saturday morning myself.
Posted By: Royce Sanders jr

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/22/16 05:25 PM

I only see them at home, never when I'm at the lake.Fishinlance, their just real small black ants. I dont have any food or coke spills in the boat, sp I don't know what would attract them.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/22/16 05:53 PM

Good timing on this post. I'm staying out at the lake for a couple days and when I removed the tarp this morning my boat is full of little black [censored] ants. taz
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/22/16 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Royce Sanders jr
I only see them at home, never when I'm at the lake.Fishinlance, their just real small black ants. I dont have any food or coke spills in the boat, sp I don't know what would attract them.

In my case, I keep the boat in my garage, and our trash can in the garage was right beside it.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/23/16 03:32 PM

I have those same little ants, both in my boat and my RV - it's pretty much always - to mean if I stop treating, eventually they come back from who knows where.

Anyway, I set these out on top of my boat, and in compartments of my rv, and they work.

http://www.target.com/p/pic-homeplus-metal-ant-bait-6-pack/-/A-49175918?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Patio%2BGarden%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Patio%2BGarden&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9027720&gclid=CjwKEAjwka67BRCk6a7_h_7Pui8SJABcMkWRrhT9NdpdCtsU94eyCkH9Yd_3-E7gPXbYI5Ex-t8w_xoCFarw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Ants in the Boat - 06/23/16 03:44 PM

Cover your boat. Throw a fogger under your cover. Problem solved.

As far as why they are there....it's either food you left somewhere or maybe some shad left in your livewell.
Posted By: carpe_diem

Re: Ants in the Boat - 08/18/16 03:30 PM

I'm not sure what species is living in my boat, but I'm gonna try this.
I may give 'em a Dawn bath, too.
Thanks!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ants in the Boat - 08/18/16 04:25 PM

Don't let your extension cord rest on the ground if you can help it. Watched a ton of ants crawl up the cord at Fork last year. Yeah, we have wheels and trailers, but that cord, not sure what attracted them to it.
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: Ants in the Boat - 08/18/16 06:09 PM

Happened to me. Turned out,the wood behind my seats was rotting and they were eating it. Sprayed some ant killer and never saw them dudes again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum