Texas Fishing Forum

Shallow water anchor alternatives

Posted By: K.D.

Shallow water anchor alternatives - 06/20/16 01:50 AM

I've seen some pretty impressive shallow water brackets made and sold on the forum. This is by far the nicest setup I've seen for stick pin type anchors. The use of the different sections allow you the option of using as an 8 ft pole or a 12 ft pole. Videos are at the bottom of the page on how to build and also on different sizes based on boat size.

I first saw a post on another forum where a guy with an aluminum RT188 Ranger used a cloth type shotgun case to store the components.

If you don't want to spend the money for talons or pro poles, this might be an option for you. A simple metal ring, some thin rope and your tie down cleat is all it takes to anchor yourself.

http://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Shallow water anchor alternatives - 06/21/16 12:49 AM

Kelly
what is even easier are two loop knots at each end of a rope. one to pass thru the boat cleat and one for the pole to go thru.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Shallow water anchor alternatives - 06/21/16 01:31 AM

There ya go! thumb
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Shallow water anchor alternatives - 06/21/16 04:18 PM

I suppose it depends on your fishing style and the lakes you fish. I rarely fish shallow... and if I do, I am sitting in water too deep to use a Talon. The lakes I fish are full of stumps to tie up. Seems like that thing sticking up would be a PITA for whoever is fishing out of the back. So a three foot length of rope works good for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum