Texas Fishing Forum

Gel filled batteries?

Posted By: River to sea

Gel filled batteries? - 06/17/16 07:25 PM

OK guys that are running them , how many years are you getting out of them , are they worth the extra money ? Thanks Shawn .
Posted By: tmcviper1

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/17/16 09:26 PM

Yes,, the set of 4 X2's from batteries plus in 31 series are in there 3rd boat
started in 96 cobra, moved to 2011 skeeter (new) and swapped to current 2015 zx250 ,,put new batteries that came in it in my 2011 trade.. no regrets. running
2 9s 1 12 and twin talons.. never a issue..figure they are 7 yrs old
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/17/16 11:55 PM

What charger are you using to get such good battery life?
Posted By: tmcviper1

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/18/16 01:17 AM

Minn Kota 15 x4.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/18/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: buggsboy
What charger are you using to get such good battery life?

judt pulled a pm1 battery(agm) outta my boat that was an 8 yrs old battery in a 6 yr old boat. battery was still good but i upgraded the charger to a 4 bank so i just went ahead and replaced the battery too. noco genius chargers will charge almost all batteries associated with boating.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/18/16 03:42 PM

Wow that is probably the longest battery life in a boat I have ever heard of.

Originally Posted By: tmcviper1
Yes,, the set of 4 X2's from batteries plus in 31 series are in there 3rd boat
started in 96 cobra, moved to 2011 skeeter (new) and swapped to current 2015 zx250 ,,put new batteries that came in it in my 2011 trade.. no regrets. running
2 9s 1 12 and twin talons.. never a issue..figure they are 7 yrs old
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/18/16 03:56 PM

That's amazing
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/18/16 04:48 PM

Not to hyjack the thread but what is the difference between a gel battery and a ago battery
Posted By: danwill12

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/18/16 09:18 PM

I think you are referring to agm, not ago, it means, absorbed glass mat, a type of battery construction different from lead/acid. A gel would be dock slang for agm.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Gel filled batteries? - 06/19/16 01:50 PM

"Gel" batteries are simply a variation of the standard lead cell battery. A gelling agent is added to the solution in the battery to reduce movement(sloshing) inside the battery case. AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat batteries have a fiberglass mat between the lead plates which absorbs and coats the plates in the solution(battery acid). Gels and AGM ARE NOT the same. I remember years ago owning some gel deep cycle batteries. Is anyone still selling deep cycle gel batteries? They were in maintainence free batteries because they did not suffer from evaporation like conventional batteries but I always heard they were much less tolerant of heat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum