Texas Fishing Forum

Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat?

Posted By: Chris_K

Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:15 PM

21ft bass boat, want to start driving to some different lakes... What's your rig?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:19 PM

No.

I pull a 20' boat a lot and sometimes some longer trips with a 1/2 ton 2014 Silverado. Never an issue.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:19 PM

A diesel just for a bass boat is overkill.
Posted By: eggs'isled

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:20 PM

yes...F250 Super Duty 6.7 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel...best tow I ever had...LOL
Posted By: LATECH510

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:21 PM

I pull mine with a GMC Sierra with the 5.3L on a 9" lift and I pull my 19 footer just fine. I love the way it pulls, and honestly wouldn't spend the money on a diesel....although that extra power would be nice.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:21 PM

Nope. Asked recently and a long discussion on diesel vs gas and v-8 vs Eco boost or other v-6 turbo tech.

The post is in the tow forum (6/6/16)

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Nope. Asked recently and a long discussion on diesel vs gas and v-8 vs Eco boost or other v-6 turbo tech.

who knew there was a tow forum. bouncy
Posted By: 2strike

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:35 PM

6.7 Powerstroke all the way in a F250. Used to pull my boat with F150 with either the 5.4 Triton or the Ecoboost. My only regret is I did not get diesel earlier, more power, better mileage even without boat. It is a little harder to park in downtown Ft Worth all the time.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:36 PM

here is the thing...i used to have 18 foot boats...and a 1/2 ton was fine...and then I got a Z520C when I had a 3/4 ton Diesel and then decided I would go back to gas since diesel had been averaging around $4 a gal before the drop among a few other things - i like the price of diesel now...... I bought a brand new 2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 w/5.7l gas...it was horrid and I only had it for 22days...thats right 22 days before trading it in on another 3/4 ton Ford, not only did the boat tell the Tundra what to do while going down the road because of their crappy baby-buggy suspension the gas milage was around 9 miles to the gal - I get in the teens with my 2016 Diesel towing my rig...point being once you get used to a 3/4 ton suspension and the tug of 800+ foot pounds of torque you can never go back to a 1/2 ton gas... come and get me haters - once you go diesel you never can go back...lol
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:39 PM

I pull mine just fine with my Sequoia. Diesel is overkill. Now if you are planning on a gooseneck and super heavy loads too then go for it.
Posted By: pagemaster

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:42 PM

Hell yes!!!!!!!! Bought a 2015 ram eco diesel. towed a 20i skeeter to Table rock lake from Amarillo, got 18.4 mpg.
Even when not towing I get 27mpg. Lets see a 1/2 ton gas pick up get that kind of mpg.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Originally Posted By: David Burton

who knew there was a tow forum. bouncy

I think it started here, just did a search to find it, it got moved there.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: KCFISH'N
here is the thing...i used to have 18 foot boats...and a 1/2 ton was fine...and then I got a Z520C when I had a 3/4 ton Diesel and then decided I would go back to gas since diesel was averaging around $4 a gal... I bought a brand new 2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 w/5.7l gas...it was horrid and I only had it for 22days...thats right 22 days before trading it in on another 3/4 ton Ford, not only did the boat tell the Tundra what to do while going down the road because of their crappy baby-buggy suspension the gas milage was around 9 miles to the gal - I get in the teens with my 2016 Diesel towing my rig...point being once you get used to a 3/4 ton suspension and the tug of 800+ foot pounds of torque you can never go back to a 1/2 ton gas... come and get me haters - once you go diesel you never can go back...lol

Not coming to get you.

I have a 5.7L Tundra. It pulls my boat very well. Stops great. Don't know what problems you had with the suspension, but mine is firm. And very predictable. I guess I should be glad I haven't experienced "better". Probably wouldn't be able to afford the addiction. Lol.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:46 PM

I've always had gas trucks, bought a diesel in 2011, I will never go back to a gasser. I pull my 21ft boat my Polaris ranger, four wheelers you name it. I like my truck to control my load, not the other way around.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:47 PM

I would buy a diesel just to have a diesel..... Who wants to change spark plugs anyway?
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:51 PM

Yes I did.

I had a 2012 half ton that I used for the first years with my last 21 skeeter. The boat worked the truck all over the road and could literally push the truck right thru an intersection if the speed was right.

Pulling was no big deal really, my concern is stopping power and manageability on the road, the swaying back and forth etc.. From this perspective there is no substitute for a 3/4 ton. I prefer deisel, but the 3/4 6.4 is impressive also.

Obviously the pulling power of the Cummins is exceptional. A nice bonus.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
here is the thing...i used to have 18 foot boats...and a 1/2 ton was fine...and then I got a Z520C when I had a 3/4 ton Diesel and then decided I would go back to gas since diesel was averaging around $4 a gal... I bought a brand new 2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 w/5.7l gas...it was horrid and I only had it for 22days...thats right 22 days before trading it in on another 3/4 ton Ford, not only did the boat tell the Tundra what to do while going down the road because of their crappy baby-buggy suspension the gas milage was around 9 miles to the gal - I get in the teens with my 2016 Diesel towing my rig...point being once you get used to a 3/4 ton suspension and the tug of 800+ foot pounds of torque you can never go back to a 1/2 ton gas... come and get me haters - once you go diesel you never can go back...lol

Not coming to get you.

I have a 5.7L Tundra. It pulls my boat very well. Stops great. Don't know what problems you had with the suspension, but mine is firm. And very predictable. I guess I should be glad I haven't experienced "better". Probably wouldn't be able to afford the addiction. Lol.

I tried to like the Tundra again - I've owned 4 other ones prior to my first diesel - I even took it to a shop and spent a grand on swapping out the Bilsteins for Rancho RS 5000's to take some of the "bounce" out of it, I was spoiled by the 3/4 ton suspension for sure...the Tundra pulls strong - plenty of motor...I wish Toyota would make a 3/4 ton and either bring one of their diesels to America or put a turbo on the 5.7 to get the gas milage up...just my two cents...
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 06:58 PM

Chevy 5.3 pulls a steel 2 horse trailer loaded or my boat pretty well. No complaints.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:05 PM

Not coming to get you.

I tried to like the Tundra again - I've owned 4 other ones prior to my first diesel - I even took it to a shop and spent a grand on swapping out the Bilsteins for Rancho RS 5000's to take some of the "bounce" out of it, I was spoiled by the 3/4 ton suspension for sure...the Tundra pulls strong - plenty of motor...I wish Toyota would make a 3/4 ton and either bring one of their diesels to America or put a turbo on the 5.7 to get the gas milage up...just my two cents...

Well. Rancho's, for what it's worth, are the softest hydraulic shocks made. That was huge step in the wrong direction. The Bilsteins that are factory were better. The Bilstien 5300's or even the 5200's would have been the choice for a firmer ride.

Yes....if I hadn't of had the three worst vehicle experiences in the world...back to back to back with Chrysler dodge and jeep vehicles, I might have looked at the dodge Eco diesel. But, my great experiences with my wife and her Lexus vehicles promoted me to look at Toyotas. If nothing else....the service from that company is worth it.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:08 PM

This question is going to go both ways. A 1/2 ton is plenty of truck to pull a bass boat around. A 3/4 ton diesel will definitely pull it easier. I drive diesels because I like them and they're more fun. Much easier to get a lot more power out of them than a gasser. If I didn't like modding them and such then I don't think I would buy one just to pull my bass boat around though.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:13 PM

I have owned Ford and Dodge diesels for 30 years.
Now i'm about 1 year into a 5.7 Tundra gas and have to admit I really like it.
I thought I would never own anything but a diesel.
No it does not have quite the pulling power of a diesel but it has sure surprised me how well it does handle a 20ft Ranger.
Posted By: Lone Star Lunker Hunter

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:14 PM

05 Z71 5.3 diablo tuner pulls my 99 zx195 no problem plenty power stops fine
Posted By: Cast

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:30 PM

If you can afford a Superduty Power Stroke get it. You won't be sorry. My half ton GMC pulled heavy loads well, but it had trailer brakes and upgrade shocks. The Superduty is just so much better. The only problem I have with towing is I forget I'm towing something. Good thing I can back a trailer.
Posted By: Slade

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:33 PM

I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 - It pulls my little Triton 186 like it's not even back there
Posted By: Slade

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:42 PM

I should add that I have the SRS package, don't know what difference that makes, but it pulls, stops great, rides super smooth. I know its not a 20-22' boat, but I really wouldn't expect it to be any different. Gas mileage is not great, my guess is around 16 mpg when towing, but I don't go very far very often, so I don't keep up with it like alot of people do.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:44 PM

How much would maintenance costs vary over say 200,000 miles?

I know all will vary. My family has only ever owned gas pickups, although in Louisiana we were never more than 20 minutes from the launch and the terrain was flat. But we've had good luck with all of our vehicles. Pretty much just routine maintenance, oil changes, air filters, and brakes.

Considered a diesel to pull my 22' center console. Was told maintenance costs would kill me to stick with gas. Bought an Eco-Boost and 40k miles later I have no regrets. Although it would be nicer to get better than 10 mpg pulling the boat, and that was pulling it to Louisiana on highway. I think the flat Louisiana roads got a little better than 10 and west of Dallas was little lower than 10.

But I've never been in a situation where my boat told my truck what to do. The truck handles the boat quite nicely. Slowing down and stepping on declines are no problem, acceleration on inclines are no problem. Honestly forget boat is behind me some times.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 07:44 PM

[/quote]
Well. Rancho's, for what it's worth, are the softest hydraulic shocks made. That was huge step in the wrong direction. The Bilsteins that are factory were better. The Bilstien 5300's or even the 5200's would have been the choice for a firmer ride.

I was hopeful...the Ford F250 Super Duty's come with Rancho's stock...
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 08:02 PM

2009 Ford F150 with the 5.4L V8. I love the idea of diesel, just cant make the math work on the front end. I know they last a long time, but I have 97,000 miles and it is still going fine. Skeeter ZX225. One day maybe I'll move up, but I cant complain right now.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 09:15 PM

No. There is no savings in owning one anymore. They are initially more expensive to the comparable gas truck, the fuel is higher in cost due to the demand these days, and now you have to put exhaust fluid in them now(at least in Fords). Once upon a time it was a great benefit to own one but I think that has gone away.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 09:43 PM

point being once you get used to a 3/4 ton suspension and the tug of 800+ foot pounds of torque you can never go back to a 1/2 ton gas...

I bought my diesel for horses but man love towing the boat with it. The suspension and torque make all the difference to me. Chevy 2500HD.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 09:56 PM

I've had them all.. f250 with 6.7, 5.4 f 150, ram 1500 eco diesel and now an f150 eco boost. If you can deal with the rough ride in the city then 3/4 ton diesel all the way. Those things are getting 18 around town and 13 or 14 towing. Better than every 1/2 ton except the ecodiesel. But man I get a headache driving it everyday in Houston... rough roads, construction, parking, etc.

And if you plan on keeping it 10 year or more, diesel all the way. You'll wear the chassis out before the motor.
Posted By: Monte Coon

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 09:58 PM

21ft bass boat, want to start driving to some different lakes... What's your rig?

Major overkill but that would be one heck of a tow vehicle.
Posted By: bruton1

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 10:02 PM

I haul livestock with a 32 ft gooseneck and team rope 3 horse slant load trailer with weekend package plus my bass boat 19' , have ran diesels all my life . When diesel reached the high prices last year and before plus the expense of fuel filter and oil changes I finally paid my last diesel off and bought a 6.4 hemi 3/4 ton love it fair to good mileage a lot cheaper . Do miss the diesel hauling cattle with the 32 ft trailer because of fuel mileage but it pulls it fine . I had rather have a diesel but with the cost diff I'll stay with gas for now!
Posted By: snickers

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 10:02 PM

My Silverado pulls my 20 ft Ranger just fine no matter how far I need to go.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers

I have a 2013 Silverado 4x4. 7 inch lift and the 5. Whatever engine. Does it pull my 20 '4 basscat? Yeah. Does it pull it just fine? Nope, I think the engine will give up any time I need to go up a hill. And Lord forbid I need to stop if someone slams on the breaks in front of me.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: snickers

I have a 2013 Silverado 4x4. 7 inch lift and the 5. Whatever engine. Does it pull my 20 '4 basscat? Yeah. Does it pull it just fine? Nope, I think the engine will give up any time I need to go up a hill. And Lord forbid I need to stop if someone slams on the breaks in front of me.

That is your problem.

The truck and motor is more than capable of pulling any bassboat around just fine in stock form. Big wheels and tires suck power and kill braking.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 10:45 PM

YES YES YES you will get better gas mileage with the diesel than the gas motor. I have a Dodge Ram Diesel and love it.
Posted By: Bonehead1

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 10:58 PM

I would tie the answer to boat length, 20' or less any 1/2 ton in your flavor choice would be more than adequate. 21 and especially 22's and over you're getting into 3/4 ton diesel territory. 1/2 tons can do the job, but stopping and road handling become issues as well as poorer fuel economy. Short occasional trips would be okay but for longer more frequent trips go diesel.

I currently have a ram 4x4 and get about 13 pulling a 22'cc boat. My older 2 wheel drive ram would have got slightly better mileage but may have not gotten back up a slick ramp this past weekend..
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/17/16 11:52 PM

I'm at T-bend right now. Pulled my 21' Legend down here and got right at 19. With a pen and paper,not the tattle tale on the dash.
I have a 1/2 tone hemi truck (single cab short bed 4x4) that I use occasionally to pull with.. I hate it. Plenty of power but doesn't handle worth a dang. It gets around 12-14 depending on what lake I'm pulling to.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 12:19 AM

I think every person in this thread that has owned both diesel and gas say diesel all the way. Typical that the folks who've never owned one would say otherwise.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 12:20 AM

No
Expedition small v8
Can't even tell the FX21 is there and I get about 14.5 mpg towing.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 12:43 AM

Going from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton f250 diesel... Not sure I'll ever go back. No more down shifting on cruise control in tow while going up a small incline on the highway, build boost and go.
Yes it's over kill for an 18ft boat. But anything on a tandem axle, I think a diesel is just a plus.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 02:21 AM

No doubt a diesel will tow anything better than a gasser, I been running them since 2002, doubt I ever buy another gas truck for my own personal use. It is one of those deals where if you can afford it then go for it.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 03:11 AM

I don't pull my boat with a pickup. I have always thought that it is better to have more weight on the rear wheels via the SUV frame than with a pickup. I haven't totally researched that statement, so I may be full of it but on the surface it seems to me that an SUV would have more weight over the rear wheels. My boat is a 19' center console and my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder pulls it just fine.. Its a 4.0ltr V6.. but stopping it is another question. I find myself staying twice as far back from vehicles as I would when not towing the boat. I think that the 3/4 ton truck would make a big difference stopping. Is anybody towing with a Nissan Armada? just curious

BD
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 03:28 AM

For just a boat, gas all the way. Yes, the diesel is nice, but the added initial cost and the added cost of maintenance just doesn't make sense.

I drive a Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 4.10 gears and it pulls and stops my Gambler like a dream.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:04 AM

No matter which way you look at it, a 1/2 ton gas truck is the bare miniumum as a tow vehilcle for long haul. 3/4 ton or or one ton, no mater gas or whatever is the way to go. WTth that said, depends on what you are hauling.

If you just go a few miles, then you can tow with whatever, but it you have to long haul get the right truck. Its just common sense.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:19 AM

Roll coal brah
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:32 AM

No, I would not buy a diesel "just" to pull my boat. The op asked a specific question and it has become which pulls better and gas mileage comparisons...lol. Who cares what the mileage is when you spend 50k for a truck....
Posted By: Bonehead1

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:43 AM

added fuel costs on top of the 50k truck payment would be why....
Posted By: franchi

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 08:03 AM

The cost of a diese is $8,000 over a gas engine.
Posted By: labdog

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 03:25 PM

As far as the cost of a diesel pickup vs gas it depends on how the truck is equipped. I just got a 2016 F250 4x4 XLT FX4 for less than a loaded out f150 lariat or loaded up Silverado. Doesn't have the fancy radio, sunroof, power folding mirror stuff but it is well equipped. Yes maintenance is more oil ect but the room inside the cab is great. Big plus on trips huge back seat. Got 16 mpg pulling my 20 ft boat. Didn't know it was there and rides good too.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 03:29 PM

My Prius pulls just fine.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 03:36 PM

A 3/4 ton vehicle with the large brakes and the ability to tow in excess of 15,000 pounds is most definitely a more stable tow vehicle in all categories as compared to a 1/2 ton.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:09 PM

Got a F250 , 1999 , 4x4 Crew Cab , 7.3 Powerstroke , up graded suspension from Champion Springs two years ago , all truck , not afraid to pull or load it up , pulls 202 Skeeter perfect , no jerking around to down shift while in overdrive , bo coo torque at low rpm .
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:18 PM

I luv diesels.....but would not get one just to pull a bass boat unless I planned to keep it 10 years plus...

My Tundra w/4.7 V8 pulls my 19' just fine, no downshifting on regular highways around NE Tex, cruises at 70.

If going into a hilly area I consider pulling with my 7.3 diesel that I normally only use for loads over 8000lbs.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 04:24 PM

i have a 7.3 f250 and a 5.3 Chevy. I take the 7.3 every trip. The 5.3 does great except over 60 mph. I have to feather the gas pedal constantly when going up and through small hills and slopes to try and stay between 60 and 65. It is a beast on take of and pulling up ramps. I love both of my trucks but for hauling long trips I'd take a diesel but it is definitely not needed.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™

hammer

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: labdog
As far as the cost of a diesel pickup vs gas it depends on how the truck is equipped. I just got a 2016 F250 4x4 XLT FX4 for less than a loaded out f150 lariat or loaded up Silverado. Doesn't have the fancy radio, sunroof, power folding mirror stuff but it is well equipped. Yes maintenance is more oil ect but the room inside the cab is great. Big plus on trips huge back seat. Got 16 mpg pulling my 20 ft boat. Didn't know it was there and rides good too.

This is my struggle right here. To buy a loaded half ton or a xlt f250. Either way you're in the 40's
Posted By: labdog

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/18/16 11:41 PM

You have to shop the XLT some have more on them than others. I added Katskinz leather seats and am very happy with it. I like the extra tow capacity and room inside.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 12:29 AM

F-250 King Ranch 4x4 w- 7.3 power stroke would be a killer tow truck but at $60,000 IDK. Having said that, $75,000 for a 21' Skeeter or Ranger is pretty steep to. Good lord, bass fishing is sure getting expensive.
violin
Posted By: HaulinBass02

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 03:06 AM

I've got the diesel truck in my sig. Bought it for our 5th wheel camper we had but we sold that a couple of years ago. Family is too big for the truck and my 3/4 ton 'Burb is the family tow rig when we can buy another travel trailer. Do I love my truck for my tow rig? Sure as shootin'. Would I buy a diesel JUST to tow a boat? Probably not.
The ONLY reason I am selling my truck (hint, hint) is financial. I can pay off the 'Burb by selling the truck and I just bought a 3/4 ton 6.0L Silverado for $600 from my nephew (no typo). I do all of my own mechanic work and the drive train is in good shape. It will more than handle the boat I have.
So long story short is, would I buy one strictly for the boat? Not likely. If I had other heavy towing to do along with boat? Most definitely. It makes a fine tow rig but is a little overkill in my opinion for most BB under 20'. If you have a big CC or something that's another story. (I'll probably regret selling it but we have to do some adjustments here after my multiple surgeries).
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 04:00 PM

Chris, for what it's worth, while of course any diesel is going to pull just about any smallish boat perfectly fine, I'm kinda more on the side of efficiency...

My boat truck number 1 is a 2015 Ford F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4, which is easy on the gas and easy on the back and doubles as an excellent daily.

My second truck is a Chevy 2500 HD, and while it pulls my bigger travel trailer, sometimes I use it for the boat too. Of course you never know that the boat is back there, but the fuel consumption is much much worse, and empty, the truck is a back thrasher with it's harsh ride.

Then the maint. of diesel... just for a bass boat?? Probably not for me.... Not to mention, too stiff of a suspension with such a light trailer can really put a lot of strain on your boat and trailer.

Just my .02, YMMV
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
F-250 King Ranch 4x4 w- 7.3 power stroke would be a killer tow truck but at $60,000 IDK. Having said that, $75,000 for a 21' Skeeter or Ranger is pretty steep to. Good lord, bass fishing is sure getting expensive.
violin

You don't have to have any of the above to bass fish. Its as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. You can fish on any budget.
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 04:48 PM

This^^^^^

When you are talking about the enjoyment of fishing, it can certainly be had with modest expense. One can achieve the same or even better results in a $2000 truck and a kayak that others can in a $150k rig. The $$$ outlay goes up with the enthusiastic appeal to modern conveniences, comfort, technology and ego. The fish don't care how much money you have invested to get that bait in front of their face.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 08:04 PM

I don't buy trucks based on their supposed "fuel efficiency". I buy them based on what they are capable of. Unlike der vorsther. If my truck gets better than 10 mpg towing, then I'm happy. If not, oh well. I have an f-250 with a 6.2 gas engine as ,y work/ personal truck, and it pulls my zx200 just fine. Bumpy as hell for both boat and truck, but pulls just fine. Stops fine also. My wife drives a Tundra with the 5.7, SR5, TRD off road, and that thing is an awesome machine. Pulls and stops the boat with no problems. I've owned diesels, and they do have better mpg while towing, but the ROI just isn't there. It doesn't make sense financially.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 08:10 PM

I have pulled boats of all sizes for many years with gas engines from Dodge,GMC,Ford 1/2 ton trucks.Until you tow with a diesel you will never know the difference or how good towing a boat or anything can be. IMO

I bought my first diesel in 2003 and there is no way I would go back to gas.

Better mileage more power and will last twice as long as a gas engine. IMO. I get 14.5 MPG towing running 70-75 mph and I get 19.3 just the truck. I have never got that mileage with a gas engine.

Less stress on motor and transmission than a gas engine and that is what a diesel is made for towing.The extra weight on the wet boat ramps is also a plus.

My truck weighs in at about 10,000 pounds and my boat weighs in at 4,000 lbs. The truck is in complete charge of what is behind it. Not the other way around as mentioned in a earlier post.

To each one is his on choice. IMO

Go Diesel's smile
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/19/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
This^^^^^

When you are talking about the enjoyment of fishing, it can certainly be had with modest expense. One can achieve the same or even better results in a $2000 truck and a kayak that others can in a $150k rig. The $$$ outlay goes up with the enthusiastic appeal to modern conveniences, comfort, technology and ego. The fish don't care how much money you have invested to get that bait in front of their face.

True story, I just took it too the extreme. Didn't mean to imply that was imperative to bass fish but if you bass fish with the pro's you'll see those and even more expensive toys. I'm an 'ol retired bass chaser and go as cheap as possible. Won't fish in a kayak or paddle boat but you won't see me in a new 20 footer either. I was at Rockwall Marine awhile back having some work done on my CA Skeeter and there was a brand spankin new Bass Cat parked out front with a 400 Mercury on the back. Customer paid $92,500 for it. You guys probably know or heard of an even bigger deal.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
For just a boat, gas all the way. Yes, the diesel is nice, but the added initial cost and the added cost of maintenance just doesn't make sense.

I drive a Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 4.10 gears and it pulls and stops my Gambler like a dream.

What gas mileage are you getting pulling with that gasser? Be truthful.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.
I don't buy trucks based on their supposed "fuel efficiency". I buy them based on what they are capable of. Unlike der vorsther. If my truck gets better than 10 mpg towing, then I'm happy. If not, oh well. I have an f-250 with a 6.2 gas engine as ,y work/ personal truck, and it pulls my zx200 just fine. Bumpy as hell for both boat and truck, but pulls just fine. Stops fine also. My wife drives a Tundra with the 5.7, SR5, TRD off road, and that thing is an awesome machine. Pulls and stops the boat with no problems. I've owned diesels, and they do have better mpg while towing, but the ROI just isn't there. It doesn't make sense financially.

10 miles per gallon and you are happy with that???? Wow.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: plasma800
Chris, for what it's worth, while of course any diesel is going to pull just about any smallish boat perfectly fine, I'm kinda more on the side of efficiency...

My boat truck number 1 is a 2015 Ford F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4, which is easy on the gas and easy on the back and doubles as an excellent daily.

My second truck is a Chevy 2500 HD, and while it pulls my bigger travel trailer, sometimes I use it for the boat too. Of course you never know that the boat is back there, but the fuel consumption is much much worse, and empty, the truck is a back thrasher with it's harsh ride.

Then the maint. of diesel... just for a bass boat?? Probably not for me.... Not to mention, too stiff of a suspension with such a light trailer can really put a lot of strain on your boat and trailer.

Just my .02, YMMV

How does the suspension on a truck have anything to do with any type of strain on the boat and trailer?
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:25 AM

If you are going to pull a boat all over the country every month, sure buy one. If you are going to pull a boat a couple of times a month 200 Mile round trip. Nope, I wouldn't spend the Xtra money.
I pull my boat with a 2500 Duramax, but I also use the truck for work & pull other heavy azz trailers. Can't beat a diesel for towing...
Posted By: Stacey Dude

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:34 AM

I've done it with both diesel and gas, 3 powerstrokes, 1 Cummins, Chevy 5.3, Tundra 5.7,
now I have a '98 1 ton Chevy Van with a gas motor.

The diesels were great and I love them and all did well except for the 6.0l ford.

The Tundra was great and rode great but crappy mpg.

The Chevy did okay but was my least favorite.

The old 1 ton van sucks the gas but it is paid for lol. So I will keep driving it since it only has 27k on it.

Would I spend 50k on a new diesel just to tow a boat, NO

Would I spend $35k on a diesel to tow a boat and drive a diesel everyday... Maybe if the boat it was towing was paid for.

I would never invest $50k on a new boat and $50k on a new tow rig unless I have loads of disposable income
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 03:35 AM

Yes and I love the power! You know you aren't over working a gas sipper ! Ford excursion 7.3l power stroke
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 11:28 AM

I would not buy a diesel today for pulling boats. Not even if I towed 25 thousand miles per year. They just cost too much.

I did buy my 2000 Dodge Cummins when diesel used to average 10 cents per gallon less than gasoline. By the time diesel vs gas prices changed around '04 I had recouped much of my investment versus gas and have been satisfied that even if today its not quite as cost efficient, its still been a good investment. Compared to the gassers back then my truck did very well. Still does.
17 mpg knocking around town, about the same towing a 3000 pound trailer and over 20 mpg every time I take it on the highway with almost 200 miles on it.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 01:24 PM

Imma buy one of these to pull my Legend....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_jUmqnDAIc
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 01:29 PM

Well I have owned diesels for a long time. My 2015 f250 oil changes cost 125 to 150. Im now doing my own oil changes for 1/2 the cost.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 01:33 PM

Can we turn this into a post a picture of your 7.3 diesel thread?

Ken
I've seen a car towing a bad arse Phoenix at ray roberts
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 01:36 PM

Cool buddy.

I pulled my Allison with my Z06 for a while.
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: B. Dill
I think every person in this thread that has owned both diesel and gas say diesel all the way. Typical that the folks who've never owned one would say otherwise.

Bingo! Experience speaking. A diesel just handles the load so much better. Gassers are always down shifting and searching for the right gear. I can pull my 27' travel trailer and my tracker boat and set the cruise at 70 if I canted (not safe to do so) and it would just cruise along. It's pretty freakin' awesome.

Here she is at LOP after pulling the traveler trailer and boat.

Posted By: 04champ

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:54 PM

I would buy a diesel just to look cooler than people that don't have one
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 02:59 PM

It depends on how far and what 21 ft boat. An Allison or Gambler, you'll be fine with a 1/2 ton. A heavier boat and/or a long distance there's no substitute for a diesel.

I have both and I can tell you that if you're doing a lot of pulling there's no replacement for the torque you get when fully loaded on a long haul.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 03:37 PM

For the record, I'm an Accounting/Finance nerd by day. I ran a statistical analysis on the NADA national averages for Gas vs Diesel truck cost to own, comparing fuel prices/maintenance costs/cost to purchase/etc. A gas truck is more economical if you drive less than 27,250 miles per year, and goes down to 23,400 miles a year if you pull a load on average 1.5 times per month with a 100 mile round trip. So if anyone drives more than that per year,buy a diesel. If you drive less, you're good with a gas. That's only if you're considering the economics of the question. There are many other factors that go into the decision.

Maintenance costs calculated running full synthetic oil in both trucks. Cost to purchase was an average of the big 3 national new and used sales for 2015. Fuel Economy was calculated with some reliable industry reports I have access to and national averages of gas and diesel prices for Q1 of 2016. Obviously there will be some outliers to this equation because of the generality of the data, so my two cents to your question is do your own research between the two trucks you are considering and take into consideration the other factors that are important to you.

My top pick for the research I have done is the Ram EcoDiesel.

Also, 2015 national averages of car accidents with a trailer involved lowers by 13% in the 3/4 ton class vs 1/2 ton class. So statistically a 3/4 ton truck is safer to drive than a 1/2 ton when pulling a load.

Boom.

Please let me know if y'all have any questions.

Tight Lines!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 03:44 PM

Who would want to clean all that soot off their boat? No diesel for me. I used to have a Ford F250 with a V-10 gasoline engine. If I ever wanted another power puller, that would be it.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 03:45 PM

Sorry left a piece out, the break even point for a diesels added purchase cost is 4 years if you drive over the mileage listed above.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 03:47 PM

Pull a load 1.5 times a month?

You lost me there. wink

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
Well I have owned diesels for a long time. My 2015 f250 oil changes cost 125 to 150. Im now doing my own oil changes for 1/2 the cost.

^^^

Sure it costs more to change your oil in a diesel per oil change, but what are your intervals? 10,000-15,000 miles for $125-$150 vs a gas that costs $45-$75 for a 5,000 mile interval.. Diesel wins, especially if you're changing it yourself like the smart man above.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

Pull a load 1.5 times a month?

You lost me there. wink

Thatsfor when your boat gets stolen at the lake..... smirk
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Who would want to clean all that soot off their boat? No diesel for me. I used to have a Ford F250 with a V-10 gasoline engine. If I ever wanted another power puller, that would be it.

V-10???? You like visitng the gas station eh? Had two on the ranch they were thirstier than a camel

And, the new diesels don't produce soot like the olden days. I've got 60k on my 2013 and never seen it blow any black smoke.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: txfour
Originally Posted By: fouzman

V-10???? You like visitng the gas station eh? Had two on the ranch they were thirstier than a camel

And, the new diesels don't produce soot like the olden days. I've got 60k on my 2013 and never seen it blow any black smoke.

Yeah, they weren't the most fuel efficient but I just hate diesel for all but ranch work.
Posted By: FMJag64

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 05:16 PM

Owned them both. I wouldn't necessarily sell a perfectly good half ton truck for the sole reason of pulling a boat but that being said i have a 2014 F250 and pulling my 21ft skeeter 250 with my diesel vs my fishing partners half ton is night and day IMO. Feels like the diesel pulls and commands the boat while the half ton more guides the boat. Acceleration, uphill and braking obviously better with diesel. But i had the Diesel before the boat. If i had a half ton truck prior to getting the boat, I'd be using a half ton.
Posted By: jb504079

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 06:19 PM

Has anyone owned both a Chevy 2500 HD gasser and a Ram ecodiesel half ton?

Wondering about the difference in towing? I currently have a Chevy HD 2500, but have my eye on a Dodge Ram Ecodiesel. I love the way the 3/4 ton pulls the boat, but it gets like 9-10 mpg when towing.

I know the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel will bury that for efficiency, but unsure about power and control. Not sure I should go from a 3/4 to a 1/2 ton. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Wildkow

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 07:20 PM

Get the Ram Ecodiesel you'll never think twice about the purchase. I tow a Champion 202 Bass&Bay and get 19-21 mpg. Quiet comfortable ride, super economy 28+mpg and it has plenty of power to pull the hills. Ecoboost requires premium fuel to tow and I doubt many drain there reg gas to fill with premium each time they tow there boats. Maybe that's why some are having trouble with their turbos. The one short coming is the load is limited on mine to just over 1100 lbs. I have the 2015 Bighorn, crewcab, 4x4 and 20" wheels.

Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jb504079
Has anyone owned both a Chevy 2500 HD gasser and a Ram ecodiesel half ton?

Wondering about the difference in towing? I currently have a Chevy HD 2500, but have my eye on a Dodge Ram Ecodiesel. I love the way the 3/4 ton pulls the boat, but it gets like 9-10 mpg when towing.

I know the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel will bury that for efficiency, but unsure about power and control. Not sure I should go from a 3/4 to a 1/2 ton. Any thoughts?
I have the 1/2 ton GMC with a 6.2 and 8 speed and it not only pulls my boat but my 5th wheel just fine, I think the 6.2 is rated for 12,600 pounds and the Eco-diesel is around 8500. Pulling a bass boat with one of the full blown diesel's is like firing up the big Bar-B-Que pit at home and putting two little hamburger patties on it.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 07:53 PM

Has anyone had a eco diesel for a good length of time , over 150k?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt

Yes, and I'll guess most any diesel driver has done that. I'm on my second one, drove the first one for 15 years. My '11 has over 100k already.
Posted By: TXwelder

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 09:11 PM

I'm about to purchase a 2016 eco diesel, its only 4k more then the 2016 hemi, witch my buddy has and gets around 15-16 towing, vs getting 20 with eco, save money last longer, and you won't have to worry about babying the tranny,
Posted By: Neches

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 11:07 PM

3/4 Ton Diesel, hang your scare shirts in the window so they can be seen when your on your way to your club tourney, looks cool.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/20/16 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Neches
3/4 Ton Diesel, hang your scare shirts in the window so they can be seen when your on your way to your club tourney, looks cool.
hmmm

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 04:46 PM

Yes . . .

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1...html#post160679

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfrFN249Cwo

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 04:49 PM

Wild: So, would you say the half ton eco diesel pulls better than a 3/4 ton Chevy HD? I know the gas mileage is way better, but is the tow comparable?
Posted By: Kent Andries

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 04:51 PM

I think if you are justifying buying a diesel because you have a boat then it's not worth it. But I love my diesel and it pulls my boat like a dream. And that's really all I pull besides a 16ft trailer every once in a while. Do I need a diesel to make it to the lake no... Does it make it nice pulling it over a few hours...you dang right.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 04:53 PM

Wild: So, would you say the half ton eco diesel pulls better than a 3/4 ton Chevy HD? I know the gas mileage is way better, but is the tow comparable?

Can't say as I've never driven one. But mine pulls my boat with authority. It doesn't feel like it's guiding the boat unless I'm heading down hill at speed and most any 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup would probably feel that way. Almost all my towing is in the central valley of Kommieforniastan so I don't get to test it in the hills much. But the few times I was able to my friend was impressed with it's ability to accelerate uphill while towing.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 04:58 PM

Ok. Thanks. I currently have a 3/4 ton Chevy HD, and it pulls just fine. And to be honest, the gas mileage doesn't even bother me that much anymore. Guess I've just accepted it.

It's a good question: Is it worth buying a much more expensive pickup just to pull your boat? My HD is almost paid off, and I think I'd rather pay more for gas than have another truck payment for longer period of time.

Just my thoughts. Would love to have a diesel though and get that mileage the eco diesels are getting.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 05:03 PM

Ok. Thanks. I currently have a 3/4 ton Chevy HD, and it pulls just fine. And to be honest, the gas mileage doesn't even bother me that much anymore. Guess I've just accepted it.

It's a good question: Is it worth buying a much more expensive pickup just to pull your boat? My HD is almost paid off, and I think I'd rather pay more for gas than have another truck payment for longer period of time.

Just my thoughts. Would love to have a diesel though and get that mileage the eco diesels are getting.

Made some changes while you replied, sorry. I think I'd wait too until the next time to purchase then I'd switch to one of the new 1/2 ton diesels. I think you'll have a larger field to choose from.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/21/16 07:42 PM

If I had the money, I would have optimus prime pull my boat. Matter of means.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/22/16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Yes, and I'll guess most any diesel driver has done that. I'm on my second one, drove the first one for 15 years. My '11 has over 100k already.

I thought the eco diesel just came out. I had no idea it has been out for over 15 years now.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/22/16 01:47 AM

Yrah I don't understand that part either.
1/2 Dodge eco diesels haven't been out for 15 years
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/22/16 01:59 AM

In my experience those big 3/4 tons can be pretty uncomfortable if you aren't used to them. Lowering the tire pressure a bit helps but comfort is no small factor. Make sure you try one out thoroughly.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/22/16 12:30 PM

That was interesting. I have a buddy who has the new Dodge 1/2 ton diesel and he say mileage and towing on this truck is great and the price was better than a 3/4 ton diesel. Something maybe worth looking into.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/22/16 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildkow
Get the Ram Ecodiesel you'll never think twice about the purchase. I tow a Champion 202 Bass&Bay and get 19-21 mpg. Quiet comfortable ride, super economy 28+mpg and it has plenty of power to pull the hills. Ecoboost requires premium fuel to tow and I doubt many drain there reg gas to fill with premium each time they tow there boats. Maybe that's why some are having trouble with their turbos. The one short coming is the load is limited on mine to just over 1100 lbs. I have the 2015 Bighorn, crewcab, 4x4 and 20" wheels.

Man are you sure you calculated your mileage right? I put 60k miles on my eco diesel and never got more than 16 ish towing a 21' bass boat no matter how I babied it. 16 is excellent but 21 is almost unbelievable.
Posted By: Doing it for the fans since 71

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/23/16 02:41 AM

I have owned all 1/2 tons listed, 2010-2015 Chevy, Ford Eco and Tundra 5.7. Had 4 diesel trucks before these. Now in a F250 and won't look back. No you don't need a diesel to pull a bass boat but I am tired of trading trucks because they are "city trucks". And it made me feel like more of a man....lol.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/23/16 04:11 AM

Man are you sure you calculated your mileage right? I put 60k miles on my eco diesel and never got more than 16 ish towing a 21' bass boat no matter how I babied it. 16 is excellent but 21 is almost unbelievable.

Just curious what you got not towing? 2x4 or 4x4?
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/23/16 01:36 PM

I have pulled a bass boat for 200,000+ miles with gas engines and another 200,000+ miles with diesel engines. I drove a lot. Between my fishing miles and work miles it does not take long to have 200,000 miles on a truck. Initially the 1/2 ton gas truck would do fine but as the miles (over 100,000 miles) on the truck increased the power diminished quite a bit and other mechanical issues would start happening. A 3/4 ton diesel truck has held up better for me when keeping a truck for 200,000 to 300,000 miles.

I would think for 80%+ of the guys a gas engine is fine for pulling a bass boat a couple hundred of miles a few times per month.

My preference is the diesel on a 3/4 ton truck for pulling a bass boat because of the miles I drive, camping in the truck and how long I keep the truck.

Data: 2015 Duramax 4x4 - 19/21 MPG empty and 14/15 pulling the boat.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/23/16 09:59 PM

Yrah I don't understand that part either.
1/2 Dodge eco diesels haven't been out for 15 years

Actually, this diesel engine has been around since 1963, previously known as a "Phoenix" if I can recall correctly before Christler bought them out. Then it was upgraded in like 2009 for use in Europe and then came back out in the Dodge in the US.

It's proven to be a reliable diesel sipping machine.

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/23/16 10:02 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong though. One time at band camp, I read that info on the internet. wink

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/24/16 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
If I had the money, I would have optimus prime pull my boat. Matter of means.

Whatever it takes. . .

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

4x4 longhorn ecodiesel. 16 towing, 24-25 around town and 28 at 75mph on Highway.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 01:44 AM

That's pretty good numbers

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

4x4 longhorn ecodiesel. 16 towing, 24-25 around town and 28 at 75mph on Highway.
better up question is how does it STOP with the boat behind it
Posted By: Cayman 223

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 02:02 AM

3/4 f250 4wd cc long 8' bed Drives and rides like a caddy. All stock Michelin tires.
Have owned these trucks for the last 15 years. Keeping everything on the suspension
And tires is key to running these trucks 250-300k miles. Wouldn't trade my ford. Pulls my 223 ranger cayman
And 90 hp John Deere easily. My 2 cents!!
Posted By: TorySweatman

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 04:16 PM

My 2011 f150 4.6 with 310,000 miles pulls my 20i Skeeter like a boss..

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Cayman223
3/4 f250 4wd cc long 8' bed Drives and rides like a caddy. All stock Michelin tires.
Have owned these trucks for the last 15 years. Keeping everything on the suspension
And tires is key to running these trucks 250-300k miles. Wouldn't trade my ford. Pulls my 223 ranger cayman
And 90 hp John Deere easily. My 2 cents!!

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/25/16 07:42 PM

Quote:
better up question is how does it STOP with the boat behind it

Stops fine but I have surge brakes. Mine had the air suspension which would automatically level the load. The only problem with the eco diesel is it's HP.. a paltry 240. It's a dog and has serious turbo lag. But if you're looking at 1/2 ton trucks for towing and fuel mileage is a concern, it's the best bet IMO. My eco boost gets 15 around town and 10.5 towing. it sucks. If MPG wasn't a concern and a person didn't want to spend the money on a 3/4 ton diesel then I'd say Ram with a hemi over the ecodiesel. Much more HP and equivalent torque.

But nothing beats a 3/4 diesel. I had a couple 6.7's and they got better MPG city, highway and towing than any 1/2 ton gasser I've owned.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/26/16 04:35 PM

I've got a F-350 King Ranch Superduty but I tow the Tracker with a Toyota Tacoma...........
Posted By: J.M.S

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/29/16 12:19 AM

I have a 14 Ram Laramie 4x4 Ecodiesel. I average 25mpg daily and I average 16-17mpg pulling my Phoenix 921. I been happy with it so far. Only down side of the truck is the price of the oil changes.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Would you buy a diesel just to pull your boat? - 06/29/16 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™

Pffft rolleyes I'm contemplating getting a Peterbuilt to pull my 1436 jon boat...you think it'll be enough? grin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum