Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat?

Posted By: Gman72

Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/16/16 11:18 PM

Getting a new trx21 ft boat and trying to decide between optimax and verado

Would really like to hear why current owners picked the Verado over another choice
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 12:32 AM

I have the optimax on mine and its the same reason the pro's do they are reliable.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 12:42 AM

The Verado is more reliable then the Pro Xs. the reason the pro's use the Pro XS is its about 150 pounds lighter and the Pro XS is faster by 2-4 MPH. The Verado guys off shore get 3-4 thousand hours out of their Verado's. The bass boat guys rarely run more then a few hundred in a life time. The 4 strokes are good motors just hard to justify the extra money or weight, off shores boats are not weight sensitive. just my .02

The other obvious reason is no 2 stroke oil.

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 02:12 AM

Well I guess the number of responses answers my question. Thanks to above for their opinion
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 02:29 AM

Like has been said, there's not a lot of guys running them. I've probably seen 5 or 6 on the BBC boards that have them. Every one of those guys have said they love the motor though and one guy running a 921/verado pro combo is getting some serious speed also.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
The Verado is more reliable then the Pro Xs. the reason the pro's use the Pro XS is its about 150 pounds lighter and the Pro XS is faster by 2-4 MPH. The Verado guys off shore get 3-4 thousand hours out of their Verado's. The bass boat guys rarely run more then a few hundred in a life time. The 4 strokes are good motors just hard to justify the extra money or weight, off shores boats are not weight sensitive. just my .02

The other obvious reason is no 2 stroke oil.

The most important part is the price difference. When you're flipping boat yearly the pro xs helps!! I always noticed the lack of mercury engines offshore or on the coast. Seems like the guides/fisherman went with Yamahas or Suzuki/ tohatsu. The Hondas are absolutely the worst when it comes to salt water corrosion.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 03:51 AM

Post it over on Bass Boat Central, somebody will be running one.

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 12:42 PM

Thanks again everyone!
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Anybody have a 250 Verado on their base boat? - 06/17/16 12:50 PM

The Phoneix rep that lives in Arkansas was running one on his 920 last year. I haven't spoke with him in a while. He was very pleased and it pretty dang fast as I recall. It might have ran a mile or two faster than a pro xs. IF I get a chance I will call him, his name is Greg Woods.

I may get one on my next 921. If I don't get a Suzuki.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum