Texas Fishing Forum

Taking the nephew fishing

Posted By: bc4393

Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 03:05 PM

Taking the nephew fishing in the neighborhood Saturday morning. We have an excellent ecosytem that produces some decent bass but you have to actually fish for em. I bought a couple rods from Dicks (5'6" light action and 6'6" medium action) for him. The bass fisherman in me says give him a Texas rigged worm and show him how to work it but in reality there is no guarantee of catching a bass that morning. Hell some mornings I get skunked after trying everything in my box. He's 12 and I don't want him to get discouraged fishing. I was thinking maybe bobber up a jighead with a plastic grub on the light rod and have him slowly drag it in (plus it'll give him some casting experience) I figure he should be able to snag some crappie at least that way. Maybe rig up a texas rig on the medium rod once hes got a couple under his belt where it wouldn't be a total loss if he didn't get any bass. Anyone else have an idea of a plan of attack for a young kid starting out with the patience issue looming over their shoulder?
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 03:25 PM

You're thinking right. Start out bass fishing teaching him Texas rig. If not catching any, change it up. His attention span will dictate how long. THANK YOU for teaching another generation. I always take light equipment with perch hooks,bobbers,earthworms,etc. in case the bite is slow or nonexistent when taking young ones. Perch can save a trip in those neighborhood ponds almost every time. Tight lines to y'all.

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 03:40 PM

In some neighborhood ponds,I've caught many good sized bass on a small H&H spinnerbait along with some huge perch. Also a small topwater bait. Learning how to work & retrieve to trigger strikes.Great learning opportunity for a 12 yr old
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 04:42 PM

If it were me I would give him a small spinnerbait and a senko. I only say this because my son is 7 and learned both quickly. I think he will have more fun casting and reeling rather than looking at a bobber. He will want to do what you're doing.Don't give him a top water lol.. It's all my son wants to throw now in any condition all because he caught one decent fish that blew up on it.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 04:51 PM

Keep it simple, and keep it interesting.
I would have him throw something he can see, and feel.
Something that won't get hung up too much.
Frogs, swimbaits rigged weedless, light spinner baits..
maybe a small 4" trigged worm,..keep him interested.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 04:56 PM

Small H/H spinnerbaits like mentioned above or a senko/trick worm on a t-rig are good bets!
beetle spin/mepps spinner in white or black- 1/8oz or so for castability
4" senkos- bit by anything

hope ya'll catch em!

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 05:58 PM

Thanks guys. Amazing how much pressure there is when it comes to someone else's fortune out there. I could care less for me as long as I have a cigar and a rod. haha
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 06:35 PM

If there isn't a ton of stuff to get hung up on you might let him try a 4 inch grub on a a 1/4 ounce open jig head

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/16/16 11:18 PM

Good suggestions by all...keeping it interesting & FUN is the common denominator...

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/18/16 06:48 PM

Update: went for 3 hours this morning. He nabbed a 4.7 on a 4 inch senko. Hes hooked now! Came in because his feet were hurting buy he even took a rest and got back at it before we called it. I nabbed 5 smaller ones in the meantime. Now i just have to get him to handle them when he catches em. smile
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/18/16 07:47 PM

It's a 5poundah /tak.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Taking the nephew fishing - 06/18/16 10:42 PM

small gardening glove the kind that have the rubber on it and are real stretchy
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum