Texas Fishing Forum

What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments?

Posted By: Rhino68W

What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 06:51 PM

Another topic got me thinking...What's the point of burning gas following a Pro around a lake just to watch him maybe catch what might be a decent bass from 100 yards away?

I am not trying to troll or anything, just want to know why people do this instead of just going to the weigh-in. Don't you think these boats affect the Pro's time on the water?
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 06:56 PM

Watching how they approach an area, or situation, can be extremely informative. To me it's the same as paying for a guide, your not paying to catch fish, your paying to learn from someone more skilled.

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
Watching how they approach an area, or situation, can be extremely informative. To me it's the same as paying for a guide, your not paying to catch fish, your paying to learn from someone more skilled.

Okay that makes sense. But can you really learn much from being far away like they are? I assume you watch with binoculars.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:07 PM

Half the guys on fork can learn how to catch fish from 100 yards away.
Posted By: jb504079

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:11 PM

I took the golf tourney approach. Kinda knew were some of the pros were fishing on Texoma this last weekend, and just sat in a cove for about 3 hours and watched 4 to 5 guys come in and fish it for a while. Pretty cool for a little bit. Then I went fishing!

No, I wasn't the guy who jumped in front of Hackney...lol

I suppose there are things to learn from watching them, but you're right, it's minimal when you're that far away. I stayed back like 500 yards, then went and fished an entirely different area. There were some trailing boats that got pretty damn close IMO. I can see why it pisses some of the guys off.
Posted By: jimham82

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:18 PM

I watched a couple of pro's for awhile at Ray Roberts until they started running full blast through areas that were really stumpy. I can't get a lower unit repaired like they can, so I quit following them. I wanted to watch Keith Combs offshore but he was flipping the flooded cover while I watched him. frown

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jb504079
I took the golf tourney approach. Kinda knew were some of the pros were fishing on Texoma this last weekend, and just sat in a cove for about 3 hours and watched 4 to 5 guys come in and fish it for a while. Pretty cool for a little bit. Then I went fishing!

I suppose there are things to learn from watching them, but you're right, it's minimal when you're that far away. I stayed back like 500 yards, then went and fished an entirely different area. There were some trailing boats that got pretty damn close IMO. I can see why it pisses some of the guys off.

Now that approach I get. Maybe even toss down some catfish lines and waste time while you wait.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Then become a Marshal. Much better than spectating from a distance or hiring a guide. I think most do it just because they can.

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:22 PM

Here's my question though. I sat in the same little cove for like 3 hours, and there was never more than one pro in that cove at any given time, but several guys stopped in there and fished it. Ya, it looked good, but it made me wonder if they "talk" while a tourney is going on and whatnot?

Just seemed a little odd that 4 or 5 guys came to the exact same stretch of bank all at different times on a lake that big.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:23 PM

You know how little girls get all excited when they see Justin Bieber? These people get just as excited!
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:24 PM

We went out for a while Sunday. I enjoyed watching Pros fish a Lake I am somewhat familiar with to see the differences in the way they think and approach the lake. You watch what they are doing, and then hear them talk about those areas during weigh in and it's very informative. Even if it's not always the most exciting thing to watch. smile And yes, we stayed a ways away and used binoculars

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:25 PM

I retied lures and drank beer....lol

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W

Now that approach I get. Maybe even toss down some catfish lines and waste time while you wait.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 07:29 PM

Here's my question though. I sat in the same little cove for like 3 hours, and there was never more than one pro in that cove at any given time, but several guys stopped in there and fished it. Ya, it looked good, but it made me wonder if they "talk" while a tourney is going on and whatnot?

Just seemed a little odd that 4 or 5 guys came to the exact same stretch of bank all at different times on a lake that big.

Some guys on tour work together during practice and even during tournaments. But these guys are so good, it's rare that several guys won't find the same stretch during practice . Also depends on the lake, water clarity, grass or lack thereof, wind direction, etc. Sometimes they get grouped up in the best areas which can make big lakes fish very small.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 08:27 PM

If you want to learn sign up and be a marshal. I guarantee you will learn more than you expect to and get to know a few of these guys. Gives you a first hand perspective of what they go through on any given day. It's a very strange feeling having several boats trail and watch you all day. I highly recommend marshaling for an event. You won't forget the experience.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 08:59 PM

I did it at Grand Lake twice. I do it just to see how they approach certain structure, and kind of get an idea how they work things like docks and points and such as well as how far off the structure they are for certain types of baits. All useful info for a guy like myself.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 09:13 PM

For me.... run 'in around as a spectator boat and watching a B.A.S.S. pro fish is a total waste of my time.

The Marshall thing would be a different story.

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
For me.... run 'in around as a spectator boat and watching a B.A.S.S. pro fish is a total waste of my time.

Agreed. It's expensive though!
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 09:18 PM

It's $125..

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

It's $125..

Expensive though!
Posted By: nwest10

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 09:52 PM

I got 3 days out of my $125 and it was well worth it for the experience. Hardest thing is not being able to fish, and the beating you take from the ride. Make sure you are fit enough to handle it and understand that boat lanes are "optional". TB at 70+ outside the boat lanes is... well make sure your good with your maker.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 10:12 PM

Another topic got me thinking...What's the point of burning gas following a Pro around a lake just to watch him maybe catch what might be a decent bass from 100 yards away?

I am not trying to troll or anything, just want to know why people do this instead of just going to the weigh-in. Don't you think these boats affect the Pro's time on the water?

Watching how the Elite guys set up on a piece of structure is one of the reasons. The speed at which they adapt to the fish amazes me. Fished with Gary Klein on Fork and he set up on a deep ledge the opposite of how I had been fishing the same ledge for 10 years. He positioned the boat on top of the ledge and threw deep. He explained to me how you could "pull" the school up on top of the ledge once you fired the school up and got them biting.

It would not be possible to know that watching it on TV. He would look like he was sitting out in the middle of the lake fishing.

I have not been a marshall yet but it would be a cool experience if you were paired with the right guy.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/14/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jimham82
I watched a couple of pro's for awhile at Ray Roberts until they started running full blast through areas that were really stumpy. I can't get a lower unit repaired like they can, so I quit following them. I wanted to watch Keith Combs offshore but he was flipping the flooded cover while I watched him. frown

just bump draft him be sure to tell him to give you a signal when he is shutting her down!
Posted By: 04champ

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 01:35 AM

I did it at Roberts to see how they fished a lake I am really familiar with, thought I might be able to learn something. I thought it was interesting how a lot of them approached the lake, it really wasn't the way I would have under those conditions and I saw some guys catch fish in areas I wouldn't have thought to fish. Most of them were fishing stuff I would consider community holes though
Posted By: nate king

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 03:31 AM

Go FISHING instead, you will learn a lot more from catching fish
Posted By: legendruns1

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 05:08 AM

^^^this!!!
Posted By: Craig Yates

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 05:51 AM

I know my buddy and I are gonna be out on Conroe for the Classic next year to spectate and try and learn something. It's basically like going to see any spectator sport but you get to actually participate. Like playing baseball while watching a pro baseball game in person..
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig Yates
I know my buddy and I are gonna be out on Conroe for the Classic next year to spectate and try and learn something. It's basically like going to see any spectator sport but you get to actually participate. Like playing baseball while watching a pro baseball game in person..

Just curious......Exactly how do you get to participate?
Posted By: nate king

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 06:42 AM

Originally Posted By: fitter2259
Originally Posted By: Craig Yates

Just curious......Exactly how do you get to participate?

walking
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: What's the point of trailing Pro's when they fish tournaments? - 06/15/16 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
You know how little girls get all excited when they see Justin Bieber? These people get just as excited!

Now that....that right there is the essence behind the whole thing. smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum