Texas Fishing Forum

MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner!

Posted By: Fishinkev

MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 04:31 AM

They are currently airing the Florida Harris chain shows and man listening to Boyd Duckett whine and make excuses just kills me. VanDam struggled and said the fish didn't do what he thought they would. Ike struggled and said hey this happens in fishing and is part of why I love the sport. Boyd Struggles and all he can say is if he was from Florida like shaw he'd be catching 7lbers too. He also said bring this tournament to alabama and I'll go out in the first period. I like Boyd, he can fish, but he came across like an arrogant whiner to me. Btw, Gary klien is from TEXAS boyd, and he did just fine.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 04:57 AM

I can't stand Duckett. His rods are junk, his reels are junk, he conducts himself like an arrogant *ick. And that's my personal opinion from being around him numerous times.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
I can't stand Duckett. His rods are junk, his reels are junk, he conducts himself like an arrogant *ick. And that's my personal opinion from being around him numerous times.

I agree. Haha. He had an excuse for everything that happens.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 12:44 PM

didn't they change up the whole qualifying system this year...last year they got a big round sumthin'...this year they had to fight thru qualifying rounds to the final 6...am i right or lost???
Posted By: jhall239

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 12:44 PM

I don't wish him any bad luck and he hasn't personally done anything to me
But.... just something there that I don't care for
I still wish the best for him though
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 12:54 PM

crapyetr- from what I understand there are like a certain number(20) of guys who are "locked" into the MLF Challenge Cup events and the Selects are those that haven't qualified to be on the Challenge side or have lost too many points to stay up there and need to make it back. They keep showing the Points during the MLF shows I'm currently watching(and what I am assuming is current??- Harris chain) and there are def anglers that need to re-qualify to be "in" the upper league.

I think its like soccer overseas where they have the Premiere League and teams can be "relegated" to the lower leagues and have to gain enough points to make it back.

probably the only time I have ever compared bass fishing to soccer!! guess being stationed over there for 3 years I picked up on some stuff.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
Btw, Gary klien is from TEXAS boyd, and he did just fine.

Gary Klein is from California. He started fishing BASS in '79 but didn't move to Texas (Weatherford) until 1988.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 12:56 PM

Yeah, whining like a little kid who had their toy taken from them. Bad thing is, if he had tried in the first quarter he might have qualified.

Now someone will come along and say "well, he has a bassmaster classic trophy and y'all don't". Yep and he's also rich, so why the crying...
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 01:09 PM

Must have forgot his Bent Pole Binoculars at the house. Figure it is just a matter of time before someone posts the picture of them...lol.
Posted By: Dbranch3

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jhall239
I don't wish him any bad luck and he hasn't personally done anything to me
But.... just something there that I don't care for
I still wish the best for him though

I agree, just something there very different, I was watching bass dr last night and he was the guest, had to change it! Lol
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 01:51 PM

Thank you for saying it.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 01:59 PM

Bunch of spoiled cry babies!
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
They are currently airing the Florida Harris chain shows and man listening to Boyd Duckett whine and make excuses just kills me. VanDam struggled and said the fish didn't do what he thought they would. Ike struggled and said hey this happens in fishing and is part of why I love the sport. Boyd Struggles and all he can say is if he was from Florida like shaw he'd be catching 7lbers too. He also said bring this tournament to alabama and I'll go out in the first period. I like Boyd, he can fish, but he came across like an arrogant whiner to me. Btw, Gary klien is from TEXAS boyd, and he did just fine.

"Bring this thing to Guntersville and let's see what happens." roflmao crying
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:12 PM

He did exactly what he was trying to do...he got ya'll talking about MLF.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:14 PM

Didn't he come up with the concept, get ball rolling on starting the show and shares some ownership?

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Bingo roflmao

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Didn't he come up with the concept, get ball rolling on starting the show and shares some ownership?

Yes, along with Klein, VanDam, Jordon, Horton and a couple more.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Yes, along with Klein, VanDam, Jordon, Horton and a couple more.

then it makes sense, to be successful it pays to keep the "buzz" going
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 02:34 PM

They are all whiners at some point.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:09 PM

They're smart, create controversy and rivalries and get the fans talking. Remember Hack and Kelly Jordon going at it a year or two ago on MLF when Jordon showed up while Hack was whackin em? But that seemed manufactured. Those guys are very good businessmen too. There is an element of WWE to bass fishing that can be exploited for $.

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
They're smart, create controversy and rivalries and get the fans talking. Remember Hack and Kelly Jordon going at it a year or two ago on MLF when Jordon showed up while Hack was whackin em? But that seemed manufactured. Those guys are very good businessmen too. There is an element of WWE to bass fishing that can be exploited for $.

Yes. And Greg and Kelly are good friends. All made for TV.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:16 PM

Talking about people only noticing the drama. Did anyone else catch how good KVD spoke about Ike in that round. He was complimenting him and speaking of him in a positive light yet so many seem to only recall the "community" hole comment of a couple of years back in an Elite event that KVD made towards Ike.

I am betting a lot of these dustups that we as fans blow out of proportion are probably sqaushed the same day they happen over a cold bee and a few minutes of discussing.

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:19 PM

it's like the WWE...they all share the same dressing room and come up with ideas of how the day plays out
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:20 PM

Wow, you mean it's kinda Fake? I remember back when I was about 7 years old and I saw Wahoo McDaniel get whooped up on in some wrestling match and I cried. My dad told me right then that it was fake. I quit watching it.

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: David Welcher
Wow, you mean it's kinda Fake? I remember back when I was about 7 years old and I saw Wahoo McDaniel get whooped up on in some wrestling match and I cried. My dad told me right then that it was fake. I quit watching it.

One of my best friends' Mom used to date Wahoo.
Posted By: jb504079

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 03:52 PM

I agree that "some" of the drama on MLF, along with Duckett's "whining", could be simple publicity. Found an article from 2011 that pretty much admits to that point. Like he says in this article, MLF's goal is to attract "non-endemic" sponsors. This is Duckett in 2011:

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article/4030#.V2Ank7srJQI
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 04:34 PM

at least 15 years ago before he was fishing any high flauten trail a bunch of us bass junkies from all over the country went to Wheeler for an internet rally.

It was supposed to be no pro's and a few locals. At the time he had a big reputation in the Alabama area as up and coming professional and somehow wangled an invitation to this deal. And won it. Except that the 2nd place angler from a far off state asked that question of the promoters and they ended up giving him the trophy instead.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 04:37 PM

Wrestling is fake?
Posted By: joebass2

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Bingo roflmao

Becoming a scripted show, like a reality show.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: R6crew

Wrestling is fake?

What?!?!?!?! No way!

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 05:05 PM

nebody remember Danny Hodge or Skandar Akkbar...???...i watched them in Wichita Falls then after the bought, went to the dressing room to meet them...all n the same room, yakin' it up...Skandar was a cousin of a friend i was with

Originally Posted By: R6crew

Wrestling is fake?
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 05:13 PM

Ok you can talk ugly if you want but his rods are the best I have found in the white ice series and their service is next to none if you do ever have a problem. Now the reels leave a little to be desired.
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/14/16 05:24 PM

Talking about people only noticing the drama. Did anyone else catch how good KVD spoke about Ike in that round. He was complimenting him and speaking of him in a positive light yet so many seem to only recall the "community" hole comment of a couple of years back in an Elite event that KVD made towards Ike.

I am betting a lot of these dustups that we as fans blow out of proportion are probably sqaushed the same day they happen over a cold bee and a few minutes of discussing.

KVD has been on Ike's YouTube show, Ike Live, a few times. They seem to respect each other and get along just fine. It is like Hackney said this weekend, they are all friends off the water and rivals on the water.
Posted By: Shawn Mead

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 08:23 AM

They aren't all friends.....that I know for a fact. Sure some of it is a publicity stunt but there is a lot of stuff that is as genuine as it appears. They all run in small clicks and stick to their circle. Duckett and Rojas are the two most hated pros on tour.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 11:07 AM

I really like the show. The downfall of every "reality" show that I can remember is the show producers think they have to create drama, conflict between participants, and introduce new controversial characters. It happened on Swamp People, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, and even Deadliest Catch. They have a good thing going that stands on its own. I hope they keep it that way. I think, as it sits, it is the most entertaining fishing show on television. Jmo
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 12:11 PM

Love MLF! Great show and well presented.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 12:34 PM

Not alot different than your nightly news media
If they can show controversy, they get their ratings up because nosey bodies want to see what happens and give their .02 and keep it going
Ratings go up advertising dollars go up more money in their pockets

The ones who in the end pay all of them are those who purchase the goods advertised on the soap operas we are watching whether wrestling or fishing or some other form of entertainment, yep that'd be us fishermen

I dont care for Ducket cause I was about to buy one of his so called signature rods and there on the sticker was MADE IN CHINA, at least it could have said assembled in USA or something and I know there are lots of others
plus I have fallen into the media trap regarding some of his shenanigans
That said
I dont care for the temper tantrums that BL shows when he breaks a rod over his knee or tosses a $300+ set up in the lake just because he missed a fish, Haven't seen him do it in a while other than his rant two weeks ago but dont care for the tantrums Ike used to throw.
What's that teach our kids and grandkids
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 01:43 PM

Hopefully no one is relying on a tv show or sports figure to teach their kids anything. In reading all of this, it kind of holds true to all fishing shows and celebs. They are not on tv to teach you anything, they are on there to sell you everything. I read a lot of posts on here that state you don't see so and so using that so it isn't any good. Looks to me like the shows are very successful at what they are intended to do, sell you a product. Look at facebook with all of the what they call pro staffers, now that's the funniest marketing. There isn't a post on there of what they caught and they always identify what they use like
Caught this using whatever bait, on my whatever rod using whatever reel with whatever line wearing whatever sunscreen in whatever boat with whatever motor wearing whatever shirt and whatever sunglasses and it just keeps going.
This is used from the so called pros down to the everyday fisherman and what the worst thing is, that [censored] works on a lot of people. I see it on several forums as well. If anyone actually believes what they see on television, they deserve to have their money taken from them.
Posted By: cove_crawler

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 05:46 PM

meh....I'm done with MLF after they killed extended cast.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 09:37 PM

Love my Duckett rods.
Love my Duckett reels.
I could buy any brand I want and I choose these.

Now, lots of good points have been hit upon here. But I visit with Boyd, Gary, and several of them quite often. Don't be making too many negative judgments. Almost all of the MLF guys are great guys, great anglers, and together they make a great show. The latter often takes a lot of different angles and personalities to achieve.
Posted By: Neches

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/15/16 11:37 PM

I just watch it to see Sheli Sanders. They need to show more of her. The heck with the fishing.
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/18/16 05:35 PM

He probably is a great guy but he just whined alot on that episode!
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/18/16 10:24 PM

Duckett strikes me as just a jerk. I don't know him, never met him.. but the times I have seen him interviewed, the MLF shows, etc. he just comes across extremely arrogant. Other than winning the classic on his home lake at the time..has he won any other Elite event?
I thought that all of the original 24 anglers on MLF were "investors" in the venture but I may be wrong about that. There are a couple of the original 24 that haven't come close to winning and with the points deal now to maintain the status within the group they are on the verge of being replaced some of the "Select" anglers. Jason Quinn, Timmy Horton, Alton Jones maybe.. bottom of the totem pole.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/19/16 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
crapyetr- from what I understand there are like a certain number(20) of guys who are "locked" into the MLF Challenge Cup events and the Selects are those that haven't qualified to be on the Challenge side or have lost too many points to stay up there and need to make it back. They keep showing the Points during the MLF shows I'm currently watching(and what I am assuming is current??- Harris chain) and there are def anglers that need to re-qualify to be "in" the upper league.

I think its like soccer overseas where they have the Premiere League and teams can be "relegated" to the lower leagues and have to gain enough points to make it back.

probably the only time I have ever compared bass fishing to soccer!! guess being stationed over there for 3 years I picked up on some stuff.

The way the points worked this year is the top two points earners from the Select Anglers moved to the Cup Series. That is Brent Chapman and Andy Montgomery. The bottom two points guys in the Cup Series got moved down to the Selects. That is Jason Quinn and Byron Velvick.
Posted By: kingfish_1970

Re: MLF-Boyd Duckett is a whiner! - 06/20/16 07:45 AM

Man, that's "our" reality show. Nothing more.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum