Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results

Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/12/16 11:41 PM

2200 people fished over 13 hours apiece or close to it and 8 fish were over the slot- that's over 25,000 hours of fishing and about 3000 hours of fishing to catch an over - boy that's a almost a years worth of fishing at 8 hours a day to get an over
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/12/16 11:53 PM

My partner and I had 1 at 23 and 2 over 23 1/2. Frustrating but fun.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/12/16 11:54 PM

I wondered how long it would be after this event ended before Fork was declared dead.......again.

Fork is full of good fish and I am not gonna judge it simply over the amount of overs weighed in. Not a lot of lakes anywhere you are catching tons of 24" plus fish. That length alone can make some really big fish not be weighable.

That being said I learned a long time ago I ain't gonna change anyone's mind about any of it. To each his own. cheers
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/12/16 11:55 PM

Here we go...
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/12/16 11:58 PM

I don't remember specifically where I read it but around 10 years ago it seems like TPWD said it takes around 10k man hours to catch a double digit fish.

Seems to support our mantra of "no replacement for time on the water"
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 12:32 AM

Fork is dead,stay at home.

Really, who wants to go and have a day full of catching 3-5lb fish on average if you can't catch one over 24"...
The things people complain about....sheesh.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 12:38 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 12:58 AM

I would be curious to see how many of those anglers were chuckin 1/2 chart spinnerbaits or power worms. This ain't a farm pond and these fish ain't stupid...people expect this to be like the Disney lakes.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 01:17 AM

As tough as I heard the fishing was, I think I would of drived around all day looking for rubber duckies.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I wondered how long it would be after this event ended before Fork was declared dead.......again.

Fork is full of good fish and I am not gonna judge it simply over the amount of overs weighed in. Not a lot of lakes anywhere you are catching tons of 24" plus fish. That length alone can make some really nig fish not be weighable.

That being said I learned a long time ago I ain't gonna change anyone's mind about any of it. To each his own. cheers

ditto..
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 01:37 AM

We weighed in 1 under, caught a few slots and several less than 2 pounds. Had a blast, looking forward to next years.

Wasn't crazy about Skeeter NOT giving away a boat for heaviest under, but still a great tournament.

Great job Bass Champs
Posted By: Tony Maynard

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 03:32 AM

Yep not many lakes you can go to and have 20+# in 35 minutes like we did yesterday morning. We had 8 slots yesterday from 3-7# and 4 dinks and 5 slots today and 2 dinks. Came close to a football under it was about a 1/16inch to long 3.25# football. Had a great time once again.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Easy Fisherman
2200 people fished over 13 hours apiece or close to it and 8 fish were over the slot- that's over 25,000 hours of fishing and about 3000 hours of fishing to catch an over - boy that's a almost a years worth of fishing at 8 hours a day to get an over

1100 fished....
The other 1100 were constantly running from end to end on the lake.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 11:44 AM

Lol.also that's the way slot lakes go catch a huge stringer of fish and have to throw them all back.

1100 fished....
The other 1100 were constantly running from end to end on the lake.[/quote]
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 11:53 AM

Won't say I'm a big fan of the huge BB tournaments But I had a great time out there even though I got 7 bites in a day and a half

Great job running it Bass Champs
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 12:34 PM

Hmm, i see 10 overs, 8 overs winning hours though. Still lower than one would expect.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Won't say I'm a big fan of the huge BB tournaments But I had a great time out there even though I got 7 bites in a day and a half

Great job running it Bass Champs

LOL...
8 fish Sat--brother cashed with a 2.19 first hr...
4 fish Sun... Looked for a big fish out deep, very winnable with an 8-lber leading Sun morning...No luck..some mag sandbass.. bang
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 01:00 PM

I know one guy that has fished Fork for over 20 years and has NEVER landed an Over. He caught a ten pounder in Feb about 10 years ago but it wasn't an Over. Catching an Over at Fork is not an easy task.

I fished last Wed with a top guide and we had Five Fish all day. We did have a nice 23 incher but it was tough for us. After our trip we compared notes with one of the other top guides. His boat had 22 doing the same exact thing we were doing. It's all about Location right now.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 01:03 PM

Right on Bro, happens at Fork more than any other lake. That will all stop when gas goes back over $4 a gallon again. I started fishing Fork in 1987 and my son and I would launch at the public ramp on hwy. 17, cruise across to White Oak creek and catch all we wanted. Burned maybe a gallon. Of course my boat wouldn't go over 35mph so I didn't get the "thrill" of doing 70+ like today's boats but sure had a lot of fun catching those Fork bass and still do. Congrats to yesterdays winners.
banana
Posted By: stxsangler

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 02:53 PM

We fished our butts off from mid-lake to Glade. We do not fish Fork much. last 2 years we have done very well, but wow, we struggled. We could not get a morning frog or topwater bite going, fished 6-12ft and 18-25ft. just could not find them. We had a few but it was beyond a grind.
Please don't interpret this as a "Fork is dead" post, but it was tough tough for us.
Lake looked great, shallow cover, lot of shad, etc etc
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 03:35 PM

I have to say that fishing was tough for us,but we had a great time. Stayed at LFM and rented a boat slip, best time yet.
Seems like folks were a lot more respectful of the water we were fishing than in past years, and everyone we talked to on the water were great. Looking forward to 2017!!!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I know one guy that has fished Fork for over 20 years and has NEVER landed an Over. He caught a ten pounder in Feb about 10 years ago but it wasn't an Over. Catching an Over at Fork is not an easy task.

I fished last Wed with a top guide and we had Five Fish all day. We did have a nice 23 incher but it was tough for us. After our trip we compared notes with one of the other top guides. His boat had 22 doing the same exact thing we were doing. It's all about Location right now.

And timing.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 03:49 PM

They are starting to stack up...it was tough fishing for us. Boated 10 fish the entire tournament.

Still a fun time for sure...we got a rubber ducky!
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 04:49 PM

Had one over and two unders that won money. Between my partner and myself we caught a total of about 12 fish Saturday through Sunday. It wasn't "katy-bar-the-door" by any means but if you put your head down and fished you could catch a few.

but... "That's how Fork go" especially when you have 1,000 or so boats on it.
Posted By: lakeforkfishon

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 05:03 PM

So, are we ready for Sand bass Tournaments now?

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: lakeforkfishon

This is actually a great idea! Have everyone catch a 25 fish limit and get a total weight. Also pay for biggest sandy.

Do it every weekend from now on. All the marinas should jump on this.
Posted By: TXBeerHunter

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:07 PM

With a fish fry to follow!

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:24 PM

Prefished 3 days leading up to the tournament. Caught very little. Saturday morning had two unders in the livewell by 0615. Cashed 2 checks the first hour. Sunday morning had another under in the livewell early. Cashed a 3rd check during the first hour. Didn't catch much but apparently caught the right ones and weighed em in at the right time to bring home 3 checks.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:32 PM

I saw where you and your dad both cashed checks. Congrats, Louie Jr. and Louie III.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:42 PM

ha. got lucky

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:45 PM

ha. y'all sure do get "lucky" a lot!
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/13/16 07:52 PM

The fish in Fork know when Friday comes around to be very selective. They have been conditioned to the massive influx of Anglers
on the weekends.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
I would be curious to see how many of those anglers were chuckin 1/2 chart spinnerbaits or power worms. This ain't a farm pond and these fish ain't stupid...people expect this to be like the Disney lakes.

Nope I would never throw a power worm and catch 3 of these in 1 day!

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

I tell my friends when I take them to Fork these bass can tell you what brand of spinnerbait you're throwing, where you bought it and how much you paid for it, lol.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 04:15 AM

I have fished two tourney in my life .... both Skeeter Owner with a friend who owns a Skeeter. Some of my favorite rods are the ones I was handed when I came through on my way to the free boat ride .... A pro driving a Skeeter with a 300 HP like he stole it..... Starsky and Hutch turn around ....It is basically a free tourney for owners. What is not to like?

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
ha. y'all sure do get "lucky" a lot!

Sometimes... Fork's tough man. I didn't get a dang bite on Sunday. Only caught 4 fish on Saturday. Dad caught 3. All 3 money fish came in the first 15 minutes both days.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 01:52 PM

This is actually a great idea! Have everyone catch a 25 fish limit and get a total weight. Also pay for biggest sandy.

That's a good idea Ken, and the fact I've been on some monster sandies with big CB's looking for the "1"

Louie, man I was at first hour weigh in too, with my brother.. He cashed with a 2.19, can't believe I missed you guys, I was walking around while he sat in the chair... You and I fished a shoot out a few years back, we both got lucky back then, it's the fish in your sig I believe....... LOL

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

That's a good idea Ken, and the fact I've been on some monster sandies with big CB's looking for the "1

Let's get the marinas talking about it. It would help all the way around. Take a bunch of sandies out of the lake while lessening the pressure on the blacks. For every sand bass you take out of the lake, you save a few thousand shad that the largies can eat. It could be a half day on a Saturday 7 am til noon. Sounds like a Win-Win to me.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 05:12 PM

That's a good idea Ken, and the fact I've been on some monster sandies with big CB's looking for the "1

Let's get the marinas talking about it. It would help all the way around. Take a bunch of sandies out of the lake while lessening the pressure on the blacks. For every sand bass you take out of the lake, you save a few thousand shad that the largies can eat. It could be a half day on a Saturday 7 am til noon. Sounds like a Win-Win to me.

Best idea I've heard in a long time, and make it a 10 fish limit. Donate the fish to A.J. fish house.
banana

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 05:25 PM

Why 10 and not 25? You want to get rid of them.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 06:30 PM

I can talk to Franky, and Tony at the Bucket... LFR with Erine Dye could also host and event.. I'm catching mine in the West arm, some bigg'un 2+ lbs, I know Chris has been on some big's too...

It would be funner" (is that a word) than whats going on now, till September.... banana

I don't mind putting a knife to 25-30, it's goes quick... martini
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/14/16 07:06 PM

With my luck, if I fished a Sandie tournament all I would catch is 3# unders

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/15/16 12:46 AM

Have everyone keep 25 per person and weight the whole sack. If the money was decent it could draw some pretty good numbers. I will talk to Mark Howard.

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/15/16 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Why 10 and not 25? You want to get rid of them.

Ever try to lift what could be a 50# sack of fish ? Getting carried away especially when some of the contestants could be women and kids.
coach
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/15/16 03:04 AM

Have everyone keep 25 per person and weight the whole sack. If the money was decent it could draw some pretty good numbers. I will talk to Mark Howard.

+1

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/15/16 03:29 PM

That's a good idea Ken, and the fact I've been on some monster sandies with big CB's looking for the "1"

Louie, man I was at first hour weigh in too, with my brother.. He cashed with a 2.19, can't believe I missed you guys, I was walking around while he sat in the chair... You and I fished a shoot out a few years back, we both got lucky back then, it's the fish in your sig I believe....... LOL

ya buddy! Heck ya I remember. I heard your last name and figured yall were kin but I never saw ya man. That first hour was crazy! A 3 way tie, 2 way tie and I got bump with seconds to spare. Dangit!

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/15/16 05:08 PM

That dude walked up the stairs as time ran out with a 2.67 that bumped the whole field as he took the first place seat.. Knocked Little bro to 10th for 100 bucks--Meh... payed the fuel bill.... grin

Ken,
50 fish we've been catching could weigh OVER 100 POUNDS eeks..
How about, you can keep 50, but only weigh 25 of the best ones cheers
Posted By: buda13

Re: Skeeter Tournament over the Slot Results - 06/15/16 06:30 PM

Get a marina involved, solicit Bud Light to sponsor, and have a sand bass fun tournament and fish fry. When everyone comes in to weigh their fish cold beer, soft drinks, and fresh sand bass filets are there ready to go. I dont think it would be that difficult to get rolling if you Fork guys were serious.

"First Annual Lake Fork Sandbass Tournament and Fish Fry Sponsored by (insert beer company name here)"
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum