Posted By: Dubee

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 03:18 AM

Not rotting. Just algae growth
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 03:21 AM

I wouldn't do it. Can you get a lift?
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 03:37 AM

My boss's 68' Hatteras stays in the water year round except for about a week dry dock for a hull clean and any maintenance that cant be done while moored. This is typical of larger salts and any lasting effects on the hulls are mooted by yearly cleaning and prep.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: fitter2259
My boss's 68' Hatteras stays in the water year round except for about a week dry dock for a hull clean and any maintenance that cant be done while moored. This is typical of larger salts and any lasting effects on the hulls are mooted by yearly cleaning and prep.

...and bottom paint
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: lakeforkfisherman
I wouldn't do it. Can you get a lift?

X2 Our lift was one of the best purchases we made if you can get one. Bottom paint is an option but I didn't want to take a hit on performance.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.

...and bottom paint

I don't know of anyone who paints glass but I suppose if you did it would be best done while in dry dock. sarcastic
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 06:45 AM

...and bottom paint

I don't know of anyone who paints glass but I suppose if you did it would be best done while in dry dock. sarcastic

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=292

You know about as much about bottom painting boats as you do about football

Not common in bass boats, but damn common in sport fishing and other motor yachts, most of which are made from "glass"

To answer the Op's question, depending on how often you use it, it will stain, and get algae on the hull..... every through hull fitting is a place for water intrusion to occur.....you know all that though.....will it rot? The answer is it depends on to many variables to know. I had a boat as a boy that was in the water 24/7 for 4 years....but it wasn't a nice boat to begin with!
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 02:33 PM

Not a good idea to leave it in all the time. I have my bass boat in a wet boat stall here on Toledo Bend "BUT" I take it out every 2-3 weeks and wash it good especially the bottom.A boat will stain badly if left in the water full time.

All saltwater boats left in the water need to have bottom paint and it doesn't last but a few years before needing repainting.

A lift is the best idea if possible.
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 03:22 PM

Id be concerned with blistering of the gel.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo

...and bottom paint

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=292

You know about as much about bottom painting boats as you do about football

Not common in bass boats, but damn common in sport fishing and other motor yachts, most of which are made from "glass"

To answer the Op's question, depending on how often you use it, it will stain, and get algae on the hull..... every through hull fitting is a place for water intrusion to occur.....you know all that though.....will it rot? The answer is it depends on to many variables to know. I had a boat as a boy that was in the water 24/7 for 4 years....but it wasn't a nice boat to begin with!

Yep, most saltwater boats you see sitting in the water are glass with painted hulls. To answer your question, I wouldn't leave a bass boat in the water unless it is an old junker. If my boat is in the water 3 days, it takes a few hours to clean the hull.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Zachary
Id be concerned with blistering of the gel.

I had a Glastron recreational boat that I left in a wet slip for a year. We washed the summer algae off with sponges after waterskiing. It developed a definite waterline stain. It also blistered the hull. I would not do it again if it is a nice boat. If it is a $2,000 junker, then go for it.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/11/16 07:59 PM

Depends on boat i guess

I wouldn't,for me it would be boat lift or load unload daily, I wont even leave mine in the water overnight for more than a week. I watched my f-i-l ruin a nice boat just because he didnt want to load and unload
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/13/16 03:29 PM

Gelcoat blisters............
Posted By: 9094

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/13/16 05:11 PM

It will also jack up your lower unit. Intakes can grow full of algea and cause motor to overheat.
Posted By: Rubberdown

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/13/16 08:47 PM

Our family left all of our boats in 8 months a year. Bottom paint, no issues. Take them out for winter and clean them up, reapply bottom paint as needed. This was up north, (green bay). Didn't see any ill effects a good cleaning didn't take care of. Dad left his boat in lewisville a year at a time, no problems with that. If the dock hadn't collapsed on it last year, it woulda been fine. That being said, algae growth and staining can definitely occur. As far as saltwater goes I have no idea. Hope that helps.
Posted By: ChumBag

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/14/16 05:40 PM

Zebra mussels?
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Leaving a fiberglass boat in the water 365/ 24/7 - 06/14/16 06:10 PM

Yes,it will hurt it. It will get Gel coat blisters. Boats get blisters by just sitting on the wet trailer bunk boards over time. The moisture doesn't dry out very fast between the board and the hull and boats eventually get Gel coat blisters in that area. Imagine one that sits in the water 365 days a year;)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum