Texas Fishing Forum

Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington

Posted By: Hittmanfish

Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 02:37 PM

I'm taking my wife on our first fishing/camping trip with our new-to-us bass boat. I'm trying to decide on which lake to go to. Which one would you suggest to catch a good number of fish (I mainly beat the bank)? A few of the lakes I am considering after hearing good things about them on this forum are Athens, Waxahachie, and Clark. Any insight that y'all can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,

Madison Hitt
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 02:44 PM

Ray Roberts, there is a state park there also
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 03:14 PM

Whitney
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 03:20 PM

Sandlin

Roberts and Whitney are both good choices as well but Roberts is usually booked a few weeks ahead and a lot of the campground as flooded and I think Whitney came up almost 30 feet recently? Won't be camping there until next year
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 03:40 PM

Make it 3 hrs and go to lake austin. Beautiful campgrounds and great lake
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 03:44 PM

I'll second Sandlin. Nice state park facilities. Also could fish Cypress Springs if you wanted some good spotted bass action.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
I'll second Sandlin. Nice state park facilities. Also could fish Cypress Springs if you wanted some good spotted bass action.

This is also good info and Lake Monticello is also near. Doesn't Cypress Springs have walleye? Good eating!
Posted By: Bassinfreak 7

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 04:12 PM

The State Park at Joe Pool has great camping.

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinkev
Make it 3 hrs and go to lake austin. Beautiful campgrounds and great lake

Austin in the summer time is a terrible place for a new boat owner to go
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 04:35 PM

I put in another vote for Sandlin. State Park is very nice and fishing is pretty good as well.

I also recommend Purtis Creek. Camp ground is very nice. Fishing is not nearly as good since they killed of the grass a few years ago but campground is nice.
Posted By: Hittmanfish

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassinfreak 7
The State Park at Joe Pool has great camping.

Joe Pool is my "home lake", which I fish all the time. Just looking to try something different. But you're right the camping there is great.

Sandlin is a little more driving than my wife wants to do unfortunately.
Posted By: propman

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 05:03 PM

About an hour and a half from downtown Dallas there are 2 State Parks on Lake Ray Roberts. Before moving to the Pilot Point area used to drive from Colleyville sometimes several times a week and also camped At Isle Du Bois State Park for 2 weeks and went fishing everyday. There is a fishing pier at the south Isle Du Bois park, but come to think about it, it may now be underwater. Still can launch a boat there though.

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 05:16 PM

July 8 is the next weekend with available camp sites at Isle du Bois. Make your reservations now
Posted By: Longeye

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Whitney

Nope, lake is up at least 25 ft, not an option for a new to the lake guy (if you can find a ramp open)....
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 05:56 PM

Ray Roberts is tough with water up and down and all the flooded stuff. If you don't know a few spots where fish live it is tough. Sand bass action is good with birds and boats showing where the big schools are if you like those and the crappie will get in the standing timber very soon if they are not already there and can be easily caught on minnows. Camping is nice but really crowded especially at IDB, a little lighter on the North end at JB.

If you want small and relaxing, Purtis Creek is awesome! No pleasure boats and a nice State Park!
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 06:06 PM

I would go to Athens. That is my favorite lake, we always catch fish each time we go. The camp grounds look nice I've never camped out there but I would.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/08/16 10:41 PM

Tawakoni has a really nice State Park.
Thats where I take my Wife, she doesn't have the patients for black bass but she loves catching sand bass and there everywhere there.
Posted By: ironmike

Re: Where to go fishing/camping within 2 hours of Arlington - 06/09/16 12:18 AM

Putis Creek is really nice. It's down by Athens.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum