Texas Fishing Forum

Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question

Posted By: dandeeks

Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:03 AM

So I ordered the chip online, and realized only after opening the package that the Maps come on a regular sized SD card... where as the Garmin 73sv has a micro-SD slot. I checked on the Garmin website for compatibility and it was on the list. Yet I didn't think to look at the card size. Is this how it's done or am I at fault for not catching that?

Can I just transfer the files onto a micro-SD and go?

Any info from experience would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:09 AM

Should be a micro card that pulls out of the regular SD adapter that's how mine was anyway.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:14 AM

Holy Shnipes. How in the world did I miss that.
AND it's in the instructions.

#lazy

thanks Brad.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:27 AM

No problem bud, I was in about the same postion when mine came in and getting frustrated about having to send it back, then I realized it.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: dandeeks
So I ordered the chip online, and realized only after opening the package that the Maps come on a regular sized SD card... where as the Garmin 73sv has a micro-SD slot. I checked on the Garmin website for compatibility and it was on the list. Yet I didn't think to look at the card size. Is this how it's done or am I at fault for not catching that?

Where did you order it from and what was the price if you don't mind me askinf

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 04:02 AM

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-water-maps/lakevu/u-s-lakevu-hd-ultra/prod148922.html

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 01:08 PM

I ordered it from TackleWarehouse on Memorial day and got the discount. I think it was 199 - 15%. about 170

Originally Posted By: Clark3
Originally Posted By: dandeeks

Where did you order it from and what was the price if you don't mind me askinf
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 01:24 PM

I've got another question to go along with this. I was about to download the Garmin Hot Spots mapping upgrade and was hoping to put it on the same SD card that I have my updated LakeVu HD mapping on, which is currently running in my unit. I gave Garmin a call and they told me that they don't think I would be able to download the Hot Spots on to the same card. For you guys who have done this, what did you do? Obviously there's only one SD card slot, so you would need both on the same card to run them at the same time.
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: tx2va07
I've got another question to go along with this. I was about to download the Garmin Hot Spots mapping upgrade and was hoping to put it on the same SD card that I have my updated LakeVu HD mapping on, which is currently running in my unit. I gave Garmin a call and they told me that they don't think I would be able to download the Hot Spots on to the same card. For you guys who have done this, what did you do? Obviously there's only one SD card slot, so you would need both on the same card to run them at the same time.

On the package for US LakeVu HD Ultra it shows the Hot Spots are included. I'm trying to confirm with Garmin.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:32 PM

Hot spots are not on my Ultra unless there are no Garmin Hot Spots on Ray Roberts.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Hot spots are not on my Ultra unless there are no Garmin Hot Spots on Ray Roberts.

Then this is very misleading on their part. Joe Pool according to their website doesn't have Hot Spots which wouldn't surprise me but I would think RR would.

Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:58 PM

I have had mine probably a year so the fishing hot spots portion might be newer than my map card. When I get a little time I am going to dig in with Garmin and see if I can get an updated card, if it has indeed been added to the Ultra card. I have already paid the $200 for the Ultra once so that should be good enough. I currently use Garmin and then Navionics app on my phone which works fine but it would be cool to see what Garmin has come up with and have it all on the same unit. BTW also use Martins map, I just like to look for the little stuff and find new stuff. House foundations are awesome!

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 03:59 PM

Yeah I'm not sure about on the HD Ultra. I just have the LakeVu HD mapping. Really just wanted to add the Hot Spots to that instead of buying the HD Ultra.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 04:12 PM

This is from their website. It doesn't show Hot Spots anywhere included with LakeVu HD Ultra. So even if you were to buy the HD Ultra card, how would you be able to run Hot Spots? Doesn't make much sense to me. Thinking about just downloading Hot Spots and trying to put it on the same SD card as my LakeVu HD, but don't really want to waste $50.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 04:32 PM

Someone on another forum stated that they are shipping the newer chips with Hot Spots included. I just got an extra card recently for my 2nd unit which is where I got the picture from. I'll check some of the more popular lakes and see if there are Hotspots pre loaded.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 04:40 PM

I am not sure if this is the same or not but my Boatlanes chip downloads and is retained in the unit, then I put my map card in for the hotmaps and the boatlane info is overwritten on the map...

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JoeyC
Someone on another forum stated that they are shipping the newer chips with Hot Spots included. I just got an extra card recently for my 2nd unit which is where I got the picture from. I'll check some of the more popular lakes and see if there are Hotspots pre loaded.

Funny you mention this.. last night as I was reading every bit of information in the little packet it came I thought I had noticed that it stated it had fishing spots on it as well. Being aware of the 50$ additional chip it made me wonder. Now that you ask the same question, maybe I am not crazy. I won't know until I try it on the weekend I guess. When I get home I'll check the pack and post a pic of it if it indeed says fishing spots on it.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 08:11 PM

I double checked and the ones that shipped that have the April 2016 sticker date appear to have hotspots included on packaging. Someone posted a picture of the Feb 2016 and it didn't have the same text on the packaging. I'll be on the lake today and will scroll over to Ray Rob which is supposed to have Hot Spots. I'll respond tonight with what I find.

So it seems they are shipping the new chips with hotspots which then makes we wonder how updates work for it vs lakevu hd ultra.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 08:34 PM

valid point in my opinion

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 09:59 PM

Well, figured out that I didn't need my SD card in the unit to run the updates for my LakeVu HD mapping. Pulled the card, deleted content that was on it, downloaded Hot Spots to it, and all is working now. Doesn't seem like Garmin's customer service knows a whole lot about these units.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1

Then this is very misleading on their part. Joe Pool according to their website doesn't have Hot Spots which wouldn't surprise me but I would think RR would.

mine looks exactly like this. "includes fishing Hot SPots by Garmin".
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 11:44 PM

Has anyone updated their Garmin yet via a computer?

Mine was advertised to have Lakeview Ultra HD but many of the lakes I fish don't have it, ray Roberts being one of them

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 11:50 PM

My chip has the spots marked on it for roberts most are brush piles
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/07/16 11:57 PM

I bought one, tried it, took it back..not worth the $200 to me...
I have two HB's onboard that have the Lakemasters, they are fine for me..

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/08/16 03:22 AM

I tested tonight and I definitely have hotspots on both my chips dated APR 2016.

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/08/16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
Has anyone updated their Garmin yet via a computer?

Mine was advertised to have Lakeview Ultra HD but many of the lakes I fish don't have it, ray Roberts being one of them

I had an older chip when the 93SV was first out and yeah most of the maps sucked. I tried to update via their website and it directed me to contact support. They sent me a new chip for free since it was within a year of the purchase. The new chip has the most current updates. Apparently you get one free map upgrade a year within your purchase and after that you have to pay.
Posted By: TWINCITY

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/08/16 05:16 PM

I love the detail of the Garmin fish finder but the mapping has much more to go to catch up with other mapping competitors.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/08/16 06:44 PM

I just bought this as well. Will I be able to use in on both my garmin? Or can it only be used on one?

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/08/16 06:45 PM

echomap you need a chip for each unit.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Garmin LakeVu HD ultra and 73sv - Memory Chip question - 06/08/16 06:54 PM

echomap you need a chip for each unit.

Can I copy contents from said chip to another chip and then have two? Sorry to OP for jacking his thread.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum