Texas Fishing Forum

89 octane non ethanol around Fork

Posted By: Court

89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 07:16 PM

Where are you guys with 250 SHO motors getting 89 octane no ethanol fuel around Lake Fork. My lake place is in Board tree so my choices I know of are 89 octane w/eth. at Brookshire's, or 87 non eth. @ Star mart.

And another question, would you rather run fresh 87 non ethanol over 89 w/eth, that may be old from the station, since it does not get sold /used much. I have heard from several sources that the 87 is fine for the SHO. Two certified Yamaha tech's and two Skeeter sponsored guides. One of those motors with 700 hrs and still running strong.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 08:26 PM

Ask Papamark where it is. I think there's a station In Winnsboro that carries all grades nonethanol
Posted By: danwill12

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 08:31 PM

If you are concerned about 2 points of the octane rating, go buy a can of Octane Booster. But you should follow the directions thoroughly. If you want, run 50/50 of 89 and or 87 it would figure out a hair above 88. 87 should get the job done, but ask Yamaha first. Read your porcelain on your plugs before and after you switch. Dan
Posted By: Court

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 09:06 PM

"Read your porcelain on your plugs before and after you switch."
Interesting, could you explain? I'm guessing that if I burned 87 octane and the porcelain was starting to discolor, that would indicate a detonation out of timing concern?
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 09:12 PM

I don't know of any 89+ non-e gas around. I would run a little Aces in the non-e 87 or use the proper 89 with additives.
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Court
"Read your porcelain on your plugs before and after you switch."
Interesting, could you explain? I'm guessing that if I burned 87 octane and the porcelain was starting to discolor, that would indicate a detonation out of timing concern?

Too high of an Octane rating can result in carbon build-up. Higher octane fuel burns cooler and slower.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 10:03 PM

winnsboro, oil company has all grades in non ethanol (it is all they sell).

right off of 11 on south side of tracks at the 37 (think that is the road) intersection, have to go in from 37 just s of the tracks.

I buy my premium there.

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 10:04 PM

fyi, 89 is a mix of premium and regular, so I have been told so the issue of not selling much is a moot point.
Posted By: 361V

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DKennimer
Originally Posted By: Court

Too high of an Octane rating can result in carbon build-up. Higher octane fuel burns cooler and slower.
Too true. So many people DO NOT understand this and have always assumed that higher octane ratings means "hotter" burning fuel so "more power". Quite the opposite as stated above. Your motor/vehicle will not "run better" with higher octane if it is not tuned for the fuel. Higher compression/performance motors tuned for higher octane fuels suffer from lower octane fuel because it actually detonates faster/earlier in the compression stroke causing the "pinging" you hear. That's why it's called "pre-ignition". It may exist but I do not remember seeing any 89 octane non-ethanol fuel around.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 11:01 PM

Star Mart?
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 11:08 PM

You asked around Fork, Minnow Bucket hwy 154 , Fishermens one stop FM 515 and there is one on hwy 17 south of FM 515, no need to drive 20+ miles to Winnsboro to get what you are looking for.
As for the octane, 87 should be all you need .
Posted By: Boomstickfishing

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 11:11 PM

There the store right down the road from lake fork marina the sells e free fuel

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 11:38 PM

all stations around fork only carry the 87 octane.
I go to winnsboro to buy the premium non ethanol, not worth the risk in my engine to run anything different.
Posted By: acts2:38-39

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/05/16 11:52 PM

On 515 called Fisherman's 1 stop use this since '06. Plus ring free no problems thank you Jesus!!!
Posted By: Old Man Skeeter

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/06/16 12:12 AM

Lake Fork resort on Hwy 17.
Posted By: danwill12

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/06/16 01:43 AM

Goggle up Champion Spark Plugs chart. It will give you a good place to start. Ask Yamaha what you are supposed to use.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/06/16 04:17 AM

My SHO's manual says minimum 89 octane. I've also had multiple yamaha mechanics say 89 minimum, including a gentleman working the yamaha maintenance trailer at skeeter owners a couple years ago.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/06/16 04:42 AM

You can buy ethanol free 91 octane at Mineola behind the Chevron gas station at Young Oil Co.Across from the bowling alley.

Re: 89 octane non ethanol around Fork - 06/06/16 12:58 PM

guys, there is no place on fork that sells more than 87 octane non ethanol, the op needs 89 minimum.

I have to have premium and use the oil co. in winnsboro, worth the drive for peace of mind. outboards do not like predetonation much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum