Texas Fishing Forum

Am I thinking about points wrong?

Posted By: Radar19871

Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 04:44 PM

Ok so this may be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the simple answer I am looking for.

I have read a-lot about fishing points, but I am beginning to think I have a fundamental misunderstanding. I just assumed from the beginning speaking of a point, I am looking for where a shallow comes out and makes a point into deeper water, But I read an article that made me think he was talking about the point a drain comes into a flat and fishing that as the point.

So I guess my question is what defines a Point? is it a shallow point out into deep? or a deep cut point into a shallow? or both? In the Pictures I posted, Should I been concentrating my time in the area's in Red? or Area's in Green?

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 04:50 PM

Uhhhh fish the carp out of both of those spots.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 04:51 PM

I think of a true point as an extension of a land feature. It looks like you are really talking about humps, ridges, and channel swings as in "Offshore Structure".
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 04:53 PM

Point v. funnel

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10859937/
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 05:00 PM

Your doing right for the most part. I have found alot of people define points and humps different than the next guy same goes for drains and creek channels. As long as you know what they are then dont worry about everybody else.

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors

Best Response you could have given...exactly what I was looking for.

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 05:16 PM

That escalated quickly
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Radar19871

Wasn't asking for your opinion on fishing holes, not sure why I would post my favorite spots for all to view, mainly looking for contours to support my question, thank you for the intelligent thought provoking response though.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 05:39 PM

lol sorry, just some people come right in and are super helpful, and others are just searching for somewhere to put someone down.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:02 PM

lol sorry, just some people come right in and are super helpful, and others are just searching for somewhere to put someone down.

No one put you down. You asked newbie question and you got good advice. Regardless of a point or not he said fish both because they could both be good spots.

Grow some thicker skin or find somewhere else to post.....you won't last long around here if sensitive.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:03 PM

Not sure how he was putting you down dude. Lighten up. Rude response to someone helping you out. I am with him l. I would hit that whole area. It has drains, points, roadbeds, culverts all sort of features to check out. Just because it's not contectted to visible land does not mean it's not a point. A horseshoe creek bend can make a awesome point.
Posted By: Neches

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 5Redman8

No one put you down. You asked newbie question and you got good advice. Regardless of a point or not he said fish both because they could both be good spots.

Grow some thicker skin or find somewhere else to post.....you won't last long around here if sensitive.
Yep you asked what a poInt was and he basically said those are points. Fish em hard. Didn't sound rude at all to me.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:12 PM

I dont think he was putting you down, he was just being point blan honest , You are looking at good places to fish no matter what anyone else says.
People interpret things differently. Some say those are humps some will say underwater points, good places either way

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:30 PM

You guys are Right, I am the idiot. I took it as fish the carp out of them because that is the only fish that will be there.... thought to much into it. deserving redicule

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Rog

Not sure how he was putting you down dude. Lighten up. Rude response to someone helping you out. I am with him l. I would hit that whole area. It has drains, points, roadbeds, culverts all sort of features to check out. Just because it's not contectted to visible land does not mean it's not a point. A horseshoe creek bend can make a awesome point.

Wasn't trying to be rude, I just took it completely wrong. Thought he was telling me the spots where to garbage to comment on basically.
Posted By: jhall239

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors

Best Response you could have given...exactly what I was looking for.

That link is filled with info!
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 07:19 PM

You are asking good questions. I think it's good to be specific about structure features. It helps when you are trying to put patterns together and search for areas similar to those where you have had success.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 10:24 PM

The magic depth on your map is 12 to 15 ft. of water. I find 5 excellent irregular features at that depth other than the areas you have marked which is basically the underwater points and funnel points.

The best features are on the sides of these points and not out on the end. Occasionally you will find a squared off point out on the end with the contours stacked; but many times it is in much deeper water with no cover and the Bass that live there will be very difficult to get to bite until they move up to feed.

Two things must happen on these 5 features and down scan comes into play here to determine if they will produce or not. They are very irregular meaning there is a quick change in contour from 12 to 25 ft.. It also must mean there is a difference in the bottom structure of small rocks/dirt to a huge rock formation. These are usually very short in length; but provide the exact structure big fish are looking for. Next it must have as heavy cover as possible on top. This provides them with the last place to rest, feel safe and feed when something provides that opportunity; just before they move below the ledge. Many big fish will live in the deep cover and only drop to deeper water when they feel threatened as an escape route.

I would mark those for you but I don't know how. I only find that one in twenty irregular features will hold great fish. Many fish will visit; but will not stay very long. That is why you catch a few one day then never again. You have to work to find that one good feature with all the right stuff and they will always be there.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 10:43 PM

Brother, not putting you down at all. I was telling you it looks like you found 2 good spots to me and I would drag a C-rig, football jig or weighted swim-bait all over those looking for big females sitting on the bottom. Both are good spots, good finds. thumb
Posted By: bogden

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 11:07 PM

Simple answer IMO points are red and green are coves, but agree with everyone to hammer both.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 11:15 PM

Looks to me like your marked areas in Red are not what I would call a point.. but a ledge or drop off in to a creek channel near a point. The Green areas are what I would consider a Point in the creek channel. Its not as clear when you are talking about features of a creek channel under water vs land features above the water. Does that make sense? The area in the 2nd screen shot way over to the right (Green area) is really too broad to be called a "Point", more like a ledge on the creek channel IMO. Also the red area in that 2nd shot I would say is more of a ledge than a point. Regardless.. I would fish the carp out of those areas! smile
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 11:32 PM

aka fish the c r a p out of both those spots. He wan't referring to carp the trash fish.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/05/16 11:56 PM

sell the boat and buy some golf clubs! grin

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/06/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: SRitchey
aka fish the c r a p out of both those spots. He wan't referring to carp the trash fish.

Yea that hit me, it was just too late. Kinda like congratulating a non-pregnate lady, sometimes its better to look twice and evaluate before you comment lol. my bad...my bad.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/06/16 02:54 AM

On this forum people use carp instead of c**p.. You'll be good to go in those places, & as Frank says," Fish the CARP out of those places for Bass!!!!Those are great areas. Welcome to the Forum.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/06/16 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Rog

Wasn't trying to be rude, I just took it completely wrong. Thought he was telling me the spots where to garbage to comment on basically.

Fish the carp out of it is a polite way of saying fish the [censored] out of it. He was telling you that you are on a good area. Fish could be on all of it at any given time.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/06/16 02:14 PM

Looks that way to me as well.
Posted By: Dbranch3

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/06/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SRitchey

Yea that hit me, it was just too late. Kinda like congratulating a non-pregnate lady, sometimes its better to look twice and evaluate before you comment lol. my bad...my bad.

Glad to see people can admit when there wrong, we all do it!
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Am I thinking about points wrong? - 06/06/16 07:58 PM

OK ......
so what were the coordinates of the red and green markings ?
I'll need to go put my graph on them to determine if they are points or drains..........
?????
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum