Texas Fishing Forum

During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when......

Posted By: Soft Tap

During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 03:33 PM

After take off You are hauling __ to your spot and your partner is talking pointing at something across the lake which you can't hear jack, you just holler back HUH!!! & YEAH!!!

You get to your morning bite honey hole first thing that morning, that dinner from last night not sitting well giving you the bubble guts.

Your good hat blows off your head just after take off.

Your way up in the north are arm of a lake and realize you left that fresh honey bun & sausage and biscuit sandwich in the truck.

You unsure if you lock your doors or left the head lights on.
Posted By: sandman79

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 03:45 PM

leaving doors unlocked, gets me everytime
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 03:54 PM

LOL....ALL THAT.... nuts
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 03:55 PM

Slow down or start earlier. This will save your life some day.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 03:55 PM

My partner is to scared to talk. I've went immediately back to the ramp more than once. I carry two or three caps in the boat along with extra sun glasses. Eat breakfast on the way to the lake. Most headlights these days will turn off after a few minutes.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 04:38 PM

You've ran two miles through dense fog then idled through two miles of stumps to the back of Blundell Creek and when you stop to fish you realize you forgot to put the plug in...
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
You've ran two miles through dense fog then idled through two miles of stumps to the back of Blundell Creek and when you stop to fish you realize you forgot to put the plug in...

You got most of us beat on this one. My boats have always filled up so fast I was able to tell pretty quick.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 05:01 PM

I have left my Grizzly in the truck realmad Then fished for an hour or two only to return to the launch.
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 05:19 PM

What about when you don't set your drag and you don't realize until the first fish.
Posted By: BAGaBass

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 05:32 PM

That's good stuff. All true.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_Soriano™
What about when you don't set your drag and you don't realize until the first fish.

I do this every time. It a habit to back them off when finished for the day.

First is losing my contacts on the run across the lake. Than i cant see anything the rest of the day. And i hate wearing glasses that are not sunglasses. Prescription glasses are out of control.

Mine is you get to your starting spot to find your partner forgot to load his gear.

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service

I do this every time. It a habit to back them off when finished for the day.

First is losing my contacts on the run across the lake. Than i cant see anything the rest of the day. And i hate wearing glasses that are not sunglasses. Prescription glasses are out of control.

Mine is you get to your starting spot to find your partner forgot to load his gear.

Sounds about right for t day. Murphy's law and all
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 05:56 PM

Bubble guts and missing the daylight bite is the one that used to get us. No longer. Wake up way early, drink coffee, drink some more coffee, do not leave house/hotel with any possibility of bubble guts.
Posted By: Randy Harrell

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 06:19 PM

Forget your water at home on a Summer tournament. I was a co-angler and partner only had enough for him. I didn't think about it until 2 minutes before blast off and no marina around. Luckily he had ice, so I drank melted ice from the cooler all day.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 06:32 PM

My first tournament as a co-angler, I left my cap in the truck and then about 10:00 I had what you call bubble guts.
Fortunately my boater was a very nice guy and gave me a spare cap and had some tickets on board while he let me out on the nearest rock to take care of business.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Soft Tap

You get to your morning bite honey hole first thing that morning, that dinner from last night not sitting well giving you the bubble guts.

I have a good streak going.....3 times in the last 3 years, I've had to find a wooded bank or in 1 case actually ask a guy on Cedar Creek if I can use his bathroom.......all 3 times we cashed nice checks!!! And yes, the guy on Cedar Creek thankfully let me use his bathroom. Felt sorry for his wife who was just in the other room and most likely heard me! flush
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 06:44 PM

thumb
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 06:45 PM

....you launch your kayak and get in the middle of the Trinity River just to realize your paddle is still in the car......literally up a poop creek without a paddle!
Posted By: Monte Reagan

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 06:49 PM

How about when you realize you have no T-paper in the boat and you wore flip flops.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:13 PM

Start sipping on a bottle of pepto the last day of practice on a multi-day or the day before a one day tourney. No more bubble guts or emergency situations to take your line out of the water!
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:15 PM

Every time I fish a tournament on Athens...
Posted By: 9094

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:26 PM

Or when you have an early big fish bite located catchh a 6 plus on the third cast and your partner says I got to go sh/t. There were three boats trying to get in that spot within 100 feet two with females so we had to go.
guys that won caught 28 lbs right there.
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:31 PM

The realization pops in my head that I forgot to take the strap buckles off of the back of my trailer and more than likely floated them off when I backed in..... hammer
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

You got most of us beat on this one. My boats have always filled up so fast I was able to tell pretty quick.

The Legend boat drain plug is a SS screw in style plug. It doesn't fully come out when you unscrew it so even if you forget to screw it in when you launch, it takes a while for the boat to take on enough water for the auto-bilge to kick on.

We got to our spot right at daylight in back of Blundell. Start throwing a frog in the pads and about the third cast, KABLOOSH!! A six-pounder eats my frog! About 15 minutes later my bilge kicks on.. It won't shut off... It runs & runs.. We fish on.

After the morning bite subsides we go back to the trailer and screw the plug in... hammer
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

The Legend boat drain plug is a SS screw in style plug. It doesn't fully come out when you unscrew it so even if you forget to screw it in when you launch, it takes a while for the boat to take on enough water for the auto-bilge to kick on.

We got to our spot right at daylight in back of Blundell. Start throwing a frog in the pads and about the third cast, KABLOOSH!! A six-pounder eats my frog! About 15 minutes later my bilge kicks on.. It won't shut off... It runs & runs.. We fish on.

After the morning bite subsides we go back to the trailer and screw the plug in... hammer
thankfully mine are rigged with a tourney saver plug that is opened and closed from inside the boat.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:41 PM

Half of the time i don't bother putting the plug in my triton. The bilge will come on every couple of hrs for about 5 mins. I have had it in the water for 3 days on a holiday weekend with no plug.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:43 PM

keep a pop up tent, tp, and a bucket on the boat.. best solution for bubble gut ever devised. plus you can still cast through the window grin
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
Half of the time i don't bother putting the plug in my triton. The bilge will come on every couple of hrs for about 5 mins. I have had it in the water for 3 days on a holiday weekend with no plug.

One of these days your pump will go out and your Triton will be sunk. Everyone forgets their plug once or twice, but knowingly leaving it out is asking for trouble.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
Originally Posted By: Soft Tap

I have a good streak going.....3 times in the last 3 years, I've had to find a wooded bank or in 1 case actually ask a guy on Cedar Creek if I can use his bathroom.......all 3 times we cashed nice checks!!! And yes, the guy on Cedar Creek thankfully let me use his bathroom. Felt sorry for his wife who was just in the other room and most likely heard me! flush

That's bold right there! I gotta give you props for that. I'd just as soon go off a courtesy dock or something before asking someone if I can use their bathroom. But you gotta do what you gotta do!

I sharted on my self during a tournament once. I had been taking antibiotics the previous days and my system was "flowing". I bent over to get another rod and BAM. Luckily there's a ramp with a bathroom right around the corner.

I don't know when I'll learn to stop eating breakfast kolaches before fishing. Never fails! Had a serious emergency during BassChamps, right when they started calling boat numbers. Luckily we were boat 119!
Posted By: JoeyC

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 09:10 PM

All the references to bubble guts has me cracking up at work. Worst for me was bubble guts, stopped on the nearest bank, started my business, and then got a cramp in my quad. Not a good situation.
Posted By: TexasTechliprip

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 10:12 PM

I have been dropping the power poles just a bit.....and getting in between the cowling and the pole

save some time when that bubble gut hits, just be sure to bring the TP before you get in position
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

One of these days your pump will go out and your Triton will be sunk. Everyone forgets their plug once or twice, but knowingly leaving it out is asking for trouble.

Also note that pump lifetime is not infinite - the seals do wear out. Letting the boat pump itself over long periods with the plug out is adding accelerated age to the pump, so expect it to fail sooner than it would have. Most OEM pumps are low quality, btw. A "good" (commercial grade) pump will cost much more than what is typically used.

Pump failure or battery failure can = sunk boat as noted.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 10:18 PM

I always hate when the tourney director jumps in front of me when I'm fishing the dam and catching fish. He shouldn't even be fishing when he is supposed to be running the tourney. SMDH

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 10:46 PM

Pump runs less with plug out then it does in a good rain.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden
My partner is to scared to talk. I've went immediately back to the ramp more than once. I carry two or three caps in the boat along with extra sun glasses. Eat breakfast on the way to the lake. Most headlights these days will turn off after a few minutes.

How did you scare him I need info lol
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/01/16 11:59 PM

Pump runs less with plug out then it does in a good rain.

Pretty sure he got the only bullet proof triton ever made

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 12:08 AM

Brad you know i'm gentle on my boat.
Posted By: Txhoghunter

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 01:04 AM

I'm glad to hear it's not just me that gets the BG's on tourney mornings! The worst is fishing a cove with no other boats in sight...pull up to the bank, hop out and get in position about the time I see a trolling motor coming around the corner!
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: TexasTechliprip
I have been dropping the power poles just a bit.....and getting in between the cowling and the pole

save some time when that bubble gut hits, just be sure to bring the TP before you get in position

I've personally never done that with my Power Poles but I know of several people that have. One guy swears that is the way to do it!
Posted By: T 4 FISH

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 01:33 AM

Put my trolling motor down first thing in the morning and stepped on the button and nothing. Charged battery's all night but they died that night. Of course it was windy all day, tried motoring to spots and tie to a tree but it sucked.
I have forgot to put plug in.
Forgot to take off tie downs.
Forgot to take of motor stablilzer, couldn't trim down or steer.
Not all on same day or same year.
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 02:14 AM

Years ago was fishing with my stepson when I got the bg's. When I got done I told him to get the tp out of the yellow bag that had extra towels and clothes. Over course he wanted to give me some lip. He went ahead and got it to toss me a roll of mush. Would have used the extra towels but he had given me lip when in a bad situation. So made him take off his socks and give them to me. He was so bright he didn't realize what was going to do with them till I asked him if he wanted them back. I was shocked he said no.
Posted By: CrazyCajun

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 02:17 AM

heck I did that and left my windows down last weekend good thing someone txt me about it and I had my keys so had to run back to the ramp cause it was about to rain. then I look back and my partner is eating a banana lol
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 02:19 AM

Tournament director changed ramp site , did not check on line prior to tournament , went to original ramp , asked some people at ramp , gave us directions , checked in at correct ramp , hauled but to first spot , then at spot found out keys to box rod were left in truck , one hour to truck and back to get keys .
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
Tournament director changed ramp site , did not check on line prior to tournament , went to original ramp , asked some people at ramp , gave us directions , checked in at correct ramp , hauled but to first spot , then at spot found out keys to box rod were left in truck , one hour to truck and back to get keys .

I always keep a spare compartment key hidden away somewhere on the boat in a spot I can get to even if all compartments are locked. Taping one in place with a strip of duct tape in an out of the way spot can become a happy time if you pull a stunt like that again.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 01:22 PM

Y'all are cracking me up. I guess because Ive been there so many times. My old tournament partner used to get "bubble gut" before EVERY SINGLE tourney. Never failed we would be sitting on our spot waiting for start time and it would hit him. It was never an option to give up our spot. He just chummed right over the side of the boat. He didn't care. But dang could he chum! barf
Posted By: pwarren

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 01:47 PM

My buddy was launching my boat on our first tournament to find out the cranking battery was dead. The battery was fine 2 days before when we had it out. We fished the whole tournament with just the trolling motor cool . Luckily our fish stayed alive since the live wells stopped aerating halfway through. I always get bubble gut during the worst times possible. I always try to get rid of all of it before heading to the lake.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 01:59 PM

I alway's wondered what do the pro's do when they have to go to the bathroom and there's spectator boats all around? Oh and there was this friend of mine that fished a tournament on Belton, he was doing his business right next to his boat on the bank when he saw a shad swirl nearby, he still had his pants down and cast to the swirl and caught two three pounders on the pop-r at the same time, ended up winning the club tourney just on those two fish.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 02:44 PM

I hate it when this happens..

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1674979-second-alleged-cheater-in-same-kayak-tourney
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 04:27 PM

BG is the worst. Luckily i drive a center console and have a whale fin on the motor so its real easy to squat and hold onto the motor roflmao
i can't drink the night before fishing flush
Posted By: Big Schwerm

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 07:28 PM

My fishing partner Deadsticker has a good bubble gut story if he will tell it. It was almost caught on my gopro but he was out of the cameras view so it was just audio..
Posted By: Russell Olds

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 10:13 PM

Matt and I always have a bubble gut pre tournament discussion and anxiety, always! Never fails I tell him what the weather forecast is going to be and he ignores my warnings and ends up with no rain gear or hoodie or whatever. I have started packing extra. I let him hear about it all day.
One day on OH Ivie my Lowrance quit working during a Bass Champs Championship. i took the lowrance cleaning rag that came with the unit and took ---- in the woods and used it for toilet paper I was so mad. The list goes on and on. Whacked them on day one in our club championship to be in second or third. Second day ran way way down Texoma and discovered the only bait we whacked them on the previous day we left in the truck bed under the cover. We always unload out gear overnight at hotels. Didn't place in the championship.
Posted By: Russell Olds

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 10:15 PM

Oh and I too have done the power pole half down leaning back trick. Matt jumped in one day in the summer and said, I'll hold on, just keep trolling forward until I am done. LOL!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Russell Olds
Oh and I too have done the power pole half down leaning back trick. Matt jumped in one day in the summer and said, I'll hold on, just keep trolling forward until I am done. LOL!
I'm ordering the power pole. How fast do you have to troll to keep the zebra mussel out of ya?
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 11:40 PM

best post so far this year! thnx for the laughs!
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/02/16 11:49 PM

I've got a buddy that does this all the time. Why on earth would you back off your drag when you're done fishing??? This serves no purpose whatsoever, and if you think that it does you are simply frustrating yourself for NO REASON. Leave your drag set! I've never backed off the drag on my reels and they work just fine.
Posted By: DEADSTICKER

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 03:23 AM

we were at lake of the pines. lake was 6 ft high. got back in the flooded timber. luckily a 461vs has a little step on the rear of the back deck. I stepped on it squattin backwards and let er rip. then I hollered to my redneck I pilot on the trolling motor "troll me outta here.aint you watchin ?. he laffed and asked if he wanted me to fire up the big motor and use the pisser stream as one of those French bordays that the rich folk have on their toilets.
Posted By: James Roberts

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 03:52 AM

Its July and you are on your run to your starting spot and come across a ski boat needing a tow...........................
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: DEADSTICKER
we were at lake of the pines. lake was 6 ft high. got back in the flooded timber. luckily a 461vs has a little step on the rear of the back deck. I stepped on it squattin backwards and let er rip. then I hollered to my redneck I pilot on the trolling motor "troll me outta here.aint you watchin ?. he laffed and asked if he wanted me to fire up the big motor and use the pisser stream as one of those French bordays that the rich folk have on their toilets.

My favorite post of this thread. roflmao
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 12:07 PM

Last summer my son had been asking to go fishing but I had been really busy with work and couldn't take him...when my kids want to fish I try real hard to make it a priority, as well as a special experience...so I finally made the time to take him one evening, we were trying to get to the lake before the Marina closed so we could order some hamburgers...I launched the boat then pulled over to the dock,we went in ordered hamburgers gotta some drinks and took off fishing,both, happy as larks to be on the water... we fish for about 2 hours or so when a big Thunderhead ran us off the lake, as I pulled into the marina there was my truck sitting in the boat ramp still running...talk about feeling like an idiot...fortunately there were two other ramps...I have to be very careful nowadays, if something gets me out of my routine I'll usually forget something.

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 12:20 PM

Haha. I left my truck running outside of a college football game once. Good thing we filled up before getting there.
Posted By: Soft Tap

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 01:35 PM

One more, My brother got the BG's while fishing Lake Comendero in Mexico. Our guide Alfredo took him to a bank with some good thick brush at top of the hill. while there the guide points and me then point to the hill and said "PUMA'S" I'm huh? he says "PUMA"S I say oh cats he say SE' I say oh cats in the hills SE' I say like Panthers? SE' Jaguars? he says SE! en la conlina" I holler to my brother "MARK he says its panthers up there." then suddenly you hear some rustling through the brush, would you know it my brother come running out the brush pants shackle to the ankles eyes big as ever..lol funniest sight ever. Now I'm not sure if those type of cats are in there but it would make sense.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/03/16 05:09 PM

Bad day.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/06/16 06:01 PM

Morning bubble gut hits you. You gotta go!! Problem is about 40 yards back, while you were flipping those bushes and buckbrush, you see an 8-10 foot gator sitting on the bank. Makes ya think twice about abandoning ship to drop a little wolfbait.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: During a tournament, Don't you just hate it when...... - 06/06/16 06:54 PM

I must have $100 worth of hats on the bottom of various lakes in the country.
An addition, you get to your first spot after hauling arse across the lake and your partner says "uh oh, I think I left my tackle box on the back deck"...Gone but not forgotten. For any divers out there, there is a soft side tackle box with probably $750 worth of stuff sitting on the bottom of Rayburn, somewhere between Cassel Boykins and Hog Branch.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum