Texas Fishing Forum

Ram mount height on front deck

Posted By: slim 285

Ram mount height on front deck - 06/01/16 03:44 AM

Trying to decide on the 8" or 11". Thinking the 11" might be to tall. Let me hear some opinion's
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Ram mount height on front deck - 06/01/16 06:21 AM

I have an HDS 9 on a RAM D size at the bow. Remember you get some additional height from the ball at the base, the mount at the top, and the gimbal bracket for the unit. I believe those extension arms are measured center to center of the sockets. I have an extension arm I think is 8". With all of the additions in height, it is REALLY tall! I do not think I would like 11.

As for ride, anytime I'm going to open water, I fold the arm down so the unit rests on the deck and clamp it there securely. I don't feel like chancing it standing up in the air so high when I'm about to pound some rough stuff.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: Ram mount height on front deck - 06/01/16 12:32 PM

The taller it is the closer it is to your eyes. Our eyesight doesn't get better with age!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Ram mount height on front deck - 06/01/16 01:24 PM

I bought an 8 inch extension and thought it was too tall for my 12inch touch screen on the front of my boat. I have a BassCat and the nose of the boat is narrow so your boat might be wider than mine. If you are at Fork over the weekend you can try the 8inch model out and see if you like it. I am not going to use it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum