Texas Fishing Forum

Receipts for Minnows

Posted By: TBS

Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 07:47 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed on here and maybe beat to death, but I don't know the answer.

Why are you now required to keep the receipt for purchased minnows?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 07:49 PM

So you can prove that you bought them rather than caught them one place and transported to another.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...aquatic-species

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 07:53 PM

So I guess it is illegal to take shad / minnows from one lake to another. I understand that. So what I f you catch shad in that lake, no receipt no proof.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 07:56 PM

It's not the minnows that are actually the problem, its the water. You can't transport Water from one lake to another. If the GW is checking at the ramp they will not let you launch with water in your live wells, bucket, coolers or any other container unless you can prove that it did not come from another lake. That's where the receipt comes in. For shad you would not be able to transport them in water unless you can prove that you bought them.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TBS
So I guess it is illegal to take shad / minnows from one lake to another. I understand that. So what I f you catch shad in that lake, no receipt no proof.

You will get ticket when you get caught with them in a cooler driving down the road if the cooler still has lake water in it. Plus with Caddo, you better get the grass off your boat or they will just call you an environmental disaster and give you an extra ticket.

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:08 PM

I know to drain the live wells, boat bilge, boat prop, and check the trailer for any hitchhiking vegetation, but I would have never thought to empty the minnow bucket if I was going to another lake. Now I know.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:10 PM

I hear the proper disposal method is to place them in zip lock bags and freeze them. Go figure.

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
It's not the minnows that are actually the problem, its the water. You can't transport Water from one lake to another. If the GW is checking at the ramp they will not let you launch with water in your live wells, bucket, coolers or any other container unless you can prove that it did not come from another lake. That's where the receipt comes in. For shad you would not be able to transport them in water unless you can prove that you bought them.

Thanks for the clarification.

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
I hear the proper disposal method is to place them in zip lock bags and freeze them. Go figure.

You're just enticing PETA aren't you.

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:14 PM

Live fish, including personally caught live bait, cannot be transported from the water body where the fish were caught in or aboard a vessel in water from the water body where the fish were caught. Personally caught live bait can be used in the water body where it was caught.

Transport and use of commercially purchased live bait in water while fishing from a vessel is allowed, provided persons in possession of the bait have a receipt that identifies the source of the bait. Any live bait purchased from a location on or adjacent to a public water body that is transported in water from that water body can only be used as bait on that same water body.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...aquatic-species

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:45 PM

Bream or Perch the same?

I notice the bait stores selling "perch" now. Curious if that is the reason.

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 05/31/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: TBS

You're just enticing PETA aren't you.

They said it was more humane than dumping them on the ground. Go figure.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 12:53 AM

So I live on Lake Graham and now that Hubbard is full I will probably drive the 40 or so miles to the lake to fish. So if I catch a mess of crappie, bass or whatever I have to let them flop around in a dry "livewell" until they die and are spoiled by the time I get home? That takes someone like Nancy Pelosi to come up with that.

Johnny
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 03:12 AM

What does this have to do with bass fishing? hmmm
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 03:17 AM

Minner rustling is serious business.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 03:43 AM

Want to know exactly too much government looks like?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 06:29 AM

Bream or Perch the same?

I notice the bait stores selling "perch" now. Curious if that is the reason.

The rules related to water transfer/contamination are no different whether you get perch, minnows, or shiners, etc. Purchased bait comes with a receipt, so you are covered because you have their water.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 09:49 AM

Just another TPWD fail

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
What does this have to do with bass fishing? hmmm

Some people use minnows or perch to catch bass

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Agreed

TPWD needs to focus on other things, rather than trying to give out tickets for minnow transportation.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Agreed

TPWD needs to focus on other things, rather than trying to give out tickets for minnow transportation.

They are. They are trying to stop the spread of invasive species from one river system to another. Yeah, yeah. Here comes the floods spread it more than a minnow bucket. Yes, that is correct. IN THAT RIVER SYSTEM! But floods do not spread invasive species from the Brazos or Trinity river systems to the Guadalupe river system.

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Agreed

They are. They are trying to stop the spread of invasive species from one river system to another. Yeah, yeah. Here comes the floods spread it more than a minnow bucket. Yes, that is correct. IN THAT RIVER SYSTEM! But floods do not spread invasive species from the Brazos or Trinity river systems to the Guadalupe river system.

TPWD has become a corrupt branch of government in Texas. I wish the Governor would sunset them and put them out of business
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 11:24 AM

Which gill nets work the best
Posted By: dragonsdaddy

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: machinist
So I live on Lake Graham and now that Hubbard is full I will probably drive the 40 or so miles to the lake to fish. So if I catch a mess of crappie, bass or whatever I have to let them flop around in a dry "livewell" until they die and are spoiled by the time I get home? That takes someone like Nancy Pelosi to come up with that.

Johnny
some might use an ice chest and put them in it with a bag of said ice. be sure you have a receipt proving you didn't make the ice with lake water.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 02:54 PM

Birds and natural water run off will spread 1000X more things

Dumb government oversteps it's power AGAIN

Re: Receipts for Minnows - 06/01/16 04:09 PM

Let me see you have TPWD hard up to try to write tickets for people for not draining their boats.

Then you have the famous game warden Chris Fried out hunting illegally and he not fired, and the TPWD who I am pretty sure they knew since he confessed, they let the public hold charity fund drives for him all the while he was committing a crime while he was injured.

Great Going TPWD..........
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum