Texas Fishing Forum

Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir

Posted By: jbguide

Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 05:03 PM

How much will they rise?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 05:11 PM

I'm not sure about Ivie, but I don't think Choke will rise very much. I don't think it has rained in the right places for it. However, I haven't payed too much attention to the weather around Choke in the past few days, so I could be totally wrong.

But with that being said, it seems like any big storm we've had in the past few years that's been around Choke Canyon dissolves before it gets there; or it just misses it all together.

Until we get several huge storm systems to hit the right spots and some of the oil fracking dies down, poor ol' Choke will always be pretty sad to see and fish. It'll at least pale in comparison to what it was up until 2012.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 06:42 PM

Choke is the only lake that has actually dropped during this season. bang

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 07:22 PM

It's frustrating!!! I got a feeling all of this rain will end and Choke and Ivie will be in the same condition they were.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 08:15 PM

Choke won't rise a bit. I'm working right down the road from it. People joke about how small Ivies water shed is, chokes is a fraction of that. All the rain has been to far north west of choke for it to catch. It needs a terrential down poor 3-4" an hour near Tilden or fowlerton for choke to catch water

Ivie didn't catch much either both the concho and Colorado Are discharging close to normal CFS flow for their yearly average

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 11:11 PM

You know, I recall the last time Choke filled and it wasn't because of a rainfall anywhere near it.

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/30/16 11:31 PM

It takes 15 plus inch of rain around Concan and Leaky area to do any real good. I did see it come up about 6 to 7 foot one time from water that came down Possum Creek. I'm guessing it will come up 3 feet from this water that is in the Frio this time.

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 12:38 AM

Yea that will help. But anytime north of 1604 south loop gets washed into the SA River and never makes it to choke so all this SA rain isn't doing it any good
Posted By: elm creek

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 11:25 AM

Ivie keep rising slowly, we are up a little over a foot since Friday
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: elm creek
Ivie keep rising slowly, we are up a little over a foot since Friday

keep it coming on ivie I say... if we can get storms that run from west off angleo and say on track east west through ballanger it could do some good.

if buttes would fill it wouldnt hurt my feeling, the trickle down would get the concho flowing really well
Posted By: Skeeter0524

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

I wish that were true but Falcon just lost 12 feet of water over the last 3 months and that's with some rain in the area. Can't believe something really needed that much water. It was just starting to show signs of coming on strong again in a few years but now is one more release like that away from 40 feet low and dead water.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 03:55 PM

Seems like they are purposely holding choke at a certain level. I dunno.

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
Seems like they are purposely holding choke at a certain level. I dunno.

I've thought about that exact statement. I don't know if it's true or not, but I can't help but think about that a little bit. It seems like Choke will stay no lower than 23 feet, but no higher than 17 feet. I don't know, it's weird...

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter0524
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

I wish that were true but Falcon just lost 12 feet of water over the last 3 months and that's with some rain in the area. Can't believe something really needed that much water. It was just starting to show signs of coming on strong again in a few years but now is one more release like that away from 40 feet low and dead water.

Holy carp, I thought it was like 20'-28' low. Mexicos draining her again.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 09:20 PM

I have heard that they release water out of Choke to flood the estuaries toward the coast. The fact that it hasn't risen to speak of despite the last year and a half of rain is hard to explain otherwise.

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Razorback
I have heard that they release water out of Choke to flood the estuaries toward the coast. The fact that it hasn't risen to speak of despite the last year and a half of rain is hard to explain otherwise.

I know that they release water to keep Lake Corpus Christi up. Corpus Christi is only 4 feet low, so I think they could stop letting water out of Choke for a while. But what do I know... I truly believe that the oil fracking around Choke is a bigger problem than most people realize.
Posted By: dr14

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 09:33 PM

If the link works this is a pretty good place to track lake levels, just click on the lake you want.
http://www.lakelevels.info/?StateID=TX
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 05/31/16 10:36 PM

so many lakes over full pool......and Ivie just can't catch a break. Really hoping for a small miracle and Ivie catches some rain.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/01/16 11:17 AM

Lots of factors keeping Choke down. The city of Corpus Christi owns the water.
Lake CC is low right now and has been low for quite a while despite having rain to fill it up.
I heard one of the gates is broken on the Lake CC dam so they can't fill it.
So take your pick of conspiracy theories:
Fracking
Mismanagement
Estuaries
A thirsty city
Bottom line is that this looks like the new "normal" for Choke. Might as well figure out the lake as it is.

As far as Ivie, it's just a matter of rain upstream. I remember when they filled it back in the early 90's (I lived in Abilene at the time). They expected it to take months or years to fill. A few long storm periods with record rain and flooding and it filled in weeks. Lakes up stream from Ivie are all empty. The water table is low. When the other two fill then Ivie will fill.

Keep up hope for Ivie. Medina is now full. Over full. Despite periods of heavy rains over the last couple of years it would not fill. The water table was too low and the water coming would soak into the surrounding limestone. Now that the watershed is soaked and the water table very high, Medina filled and will hold water.

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/01/16 11:55 AM

Fracing? Here we go

Have you seen the price of oil lately? We have lost over 75% of the rigs in south texas over the last two years, which means all the Frac jobs we had down here have been reduced by that if not more. And the lake hasn't magically filled up since we came to a crawl in the oil field down here. Fracing had zero to do with the lake not filling up.

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/01/16 07:14 PM

Lake Corpus Christi is not low. Yes it is not at full pool but 3.90 feet low is not that bad in my books. All in all the Frio just hasn't got the rain on it like the other rivers.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/01/16 09:12 PM

Lake Corpus Christi went dry in the very early 80's, plum down to the river channel. It took a few years and it filled back up. City of CC has to make sure they shrimp have plenty of fresh water in the back bay. I doubt it will ever stay full for any length of time. It was a dang good lake to fish mid to late 80's

It will take a tropical storm to fill up choke, unless the right rain at the very right spot, but thats not to often of either.
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/01/16 11:47 PM

I blame Fracing too. Buncha jerkfaces.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/02/16 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: jbguide
Lake Corpus Christi is not low. Yes it is not at full pool but 3.90 feet low is not that bad in my books. All in all the Frio just hasn't got the rain on it like the other rivers.

No, it's not dire by any means but it's a matter of perspective. It's at 73.8% full. The lake is only 60ft deep. Every foot is significant. At full pool the lake is about 18,000 surface acres. Right now its about 16,000 surface acres. So every foot is about 16,000 to 18,000 acre/feet of water. From a fishing perspective 3-4 feet is not bad but from a conservation pool perspective it is more significant.

For comparison Medina is about 6,000 surface acres so every foot towards the rise to full pool is only about 6,000 acre/feet of water. Medina is also about 150ft deep. Both lakes hold about 250,000 acre/feet of water at full pool.

It takes a lot of water to keep Lake CC at a particular level due to its surface acreage. Choke only has about 13,000 surface acres now so a foot drop in CC cannot be made up for by releasing a foot from Choke.

Perhaps the only way to get Choke full is a tropical event to fill both of them up.
Posted By: Big Lunker

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/02/16 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: jbguide
It takes 15 plus inch of rain around Concan and Leaky area to do any real good. I did see it come up about 6 to 7 foot one time from water that came down Possum Creek. I'm guessing it will come up 3 feet from this water that is in the Frio this time.
Leaky, Concan, Uvalde is where you need to catch the watershed for Choke. Your Correct!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/03/16 02:45 AM

Huge amount of rain headed straight to Ivie tonight....if she doesn't come up tonight something is stealing it!
Posted By: T54

Re: Choke Canyon and Ivie Resevoir - 06/03/16 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Huge amount of rain headed straight to Ivie tonight....if she doesn't come up tonight something is stealing it!

Yeah the way that system is just kinda stalled over the Ivie watershed right now looks promising
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum