Texas Fishing Forum

help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1

Posted By: beeflover

help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1 - 05/30/16 04:30 PM

I bought the reel and tried it first time yesterday and was back lashing like crazy. I searched the internet but don't get anything specific.

Like keven short has a video where he casts a lure 100 ft and doesn't ever touch a thumb to the spool! He then shows the pins but not exactly how they were set. Lew's site just shows the pins nothing specific.

I was throwing a 1/2 jighead and 5 in plastic swimbait and backlashing like crazy tried adjusting the pins and the tension knob but never really hit on solution.

any suggestions fellas?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1 - 05/30/16 04:37 PM

Start with pulling all the pins out so they will slow the spool. Then tighten the thumb screw on the right side of the reel until your bait falls very slowly when you press the free-spool button. That should fix the backlash problem. It will hurt your distance but you shouldn't backlash any more.

Re: help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1 - 05/30/16 04:40 PM

Start with all six pins clicked On then turn them off as you gain confidence.
Posted By: Shadetree

Re: help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1 - 05/30/16 05:38 PM

Push all the pins in except two. With the lure you are going to use attached, tighten the thumb cap in some, push the release. Adjust the thumb cap until the reel stops turning when the lure reaches the floor. g

Re: help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1 - 05/30/16 07:19 PM

From my experience the less you have to tighten the thumb screw the better as far as distance is concerned. Try to use the pins to control backlash as much as possible.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: help with adjusting brakes on Lew's BB1 - 05/30/16 08:04 PM

Took awhile to get mine where I like it. Now I can cast a weighted worm or pitch weightless with one click of the tension knob. I like mine loose. The secret is to not try to muscle the cast. I'm not looking for 100 yd casts. It works well if you are looking for more accurate short to medium range casts. When I want to just sling a bait as far as I can, I grab another reel set up to do that. Without making adjustments for heavier weights, it will cast far but I need to use the thumb. I don't want to open it up and make adjustments all day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum