Texas Fishing Forum

Pesky Perch

Posted By: Williford

Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 04:42 PM

It's annoying when you throw a worm in brush piles and the machine gun bites from perch start. I try not to set the hook pre maturely but sometimes they run with it and you have to set it even though you know it's a perch. What do y'all do? Ignore the bites? Set every time you feel something? Any kinda work they will leave alone?
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 04:44 PM

When they are there and aggressive there isnt much you can do. But, if they are there, bass are usually close by imo
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 04:56 PM

If they're big enough, sounds like you need a fish fry. wink
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 05:10 PM

Try to slowly pull it out of their mouth so they don't destroy your bait, if they pull back rip their lip could be a bass.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 05:26 PM

Years ago I was fishing the bank with a worm during the spring and the perch bites were non-stop. I finally quit setting the hook. I got what felt like another perch bite and just sat there. Next thing I knew the rod and reel was ripped out of my hands. I caught the end of the grip but my other hand wasn't on the reel so I was helpless. A giant bass came to the surface and got off, but not before I saw what I had missed.

The next day I went back to that spot, got the same bite, and set the hook. It was either my first or second ten pounder.
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 05:56 PM

I typically switch to a bigger worm and it helps some.
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 06:41 PM

I throw a big bream colored swim bait and hold on. Worked for me a lot.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 06:51 PM

This time of year getting bream bites is like finding a secret honey hole. I use to ride around the lake looking for pontoon boats bream fishing, come back after dark and bass fish. I have caught some really great stringers doing this. And fishing at night doesn't interfere with them bream fishing
Posted By: Mike_Soriano™

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 09:07 PM

Notice the Cajun called it a stringer and not a bag. Lol I'm Jokin bud.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/27/16 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MagFluker
Try to slowly pull it out of their mouth so they don't destroy your bait, if they pull back rip their lip could be a bass.

That's basically what I do. Just increase tension until I'm sure it's a perch, then try to not rip the tails off of the plastic. If the perch pulls a little too hard, you just gotta set the hook and see. I've caught a lot of bass in areas where the perch were tearing up my baits.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/28/16 01:02 AM

All that tells me is to throw Blue gill colored baits. thumb
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/28/16 02:10 PM

And sometimes you get lucky and this happens!

boom
Posted By: E-bright

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/28/16 09:53 PM

Is that bluegill crappie? A crapgill?
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/29/16 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: texas_lunkers

that's a couple of nice fillets. banana Just need a few more for a tasty dinner. cheers
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/29/16 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: texas_lunkers

That's what I was thinking. I've never seen a bluegill marked like that.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/29/16 04:31 AM

Looks like Red Ear Sunfish, meaner than a blue gill.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/29/16 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Mo_Cat
Looks like Red Ear Sunfish, meaner than a blue gill.

Google search tells me that you're right. Had never seen one with that strong of a crappie resemblance before.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/29/16 11:06 AM

Yup that's a big ole shellcracker, aka a red eared sunfish. They're mean and fun to catch. And that's a huge one.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/30/16 04:41 AM

Blast to catch. Lot's of them in Mo. They are bedding now.
Posted By: E-bright

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/30/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo_Cat
Blast to catch. Lot's of them in Mo. They are bedding now.
how are they biting up there in gods country? I grew up on smithville lake
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/30/16 03:59 PM

Normally, from February to mid June, I throw a lot of bluegill baits. If you're throwing a plastic or some sort of shad type bait and you get those bluegill bites, switch over to a bluegill colored bait. More often than not you'll catch the nearest bass hanging around, and it's usually a big one. Bluegill baits get you quality, not quantity.

Or you can just tie on a beetle spin and load up on some bluegill. thumb
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/31/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Normally, from February to mid June, I throw a lot of bluegill baits. If you're throwing a plastic or some sort of shad type bait and you get those bluegill bites, switch over to a bluegill colored bait. More often than not you'll catch the nearest bass hanging around, and it's usually a big one. Bluegill baits get you quality, not quantity.

I'm gonna have to try that beetle spin trick... wanna know something funny... I own about 20 beetles spins, bought them for the kids.... but I have yet to catch anything on them.. ever... weird right?
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/31/16 05:46 PM

I think that is a red ear.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Pesky Perch - 05/31/16 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: plasma800
Originally Posted By: bigbass94

I'm gonna have to try that beetle spin trick... wanna know something funny... I own about 20 beetles spins, bought them for the kids.... but I have yet to catch anything on them.. ever... weird right?

Aww man! You're missing out! Beetle Spin's are great for every species of fish, especially panfish and hybrids.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum