Texas Fishing Forum

The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction...

Posted By: Kay Dyson

The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:14 PM

My wife was going through some old pictures last week that belonged to my Mother N Law. Low and behold there it was, the first Florida transplant that started the hunt for monster bass in Texas.

At the time my generation had never seen a bass like this, except in Florida, and Georgia.. I remember I was at work when the word hit the street, everyone who was any kind of bass fisherman was all over Monti..
We lived on Lake Winnsboro, so it was a short trip to the Tri-Lakes area.. Man, Jimmy's fish got everyone all excited, and we still are to this day...

He was my wifes uncle, mothers-brother, I had the pleasure of meeting him and getting to know him as a family member, what a super guy he was too..
I hope you enjoy seeing a bit history in this old newspaper clipping, they had no idea what was about to happen..

Jimmy passed away a few yrs back, he is missed.
To backup his catch, he also had a couple of 12's, I got to hold all the mounts.
Sure wish I had them for my collection..

Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:20 PM

That's a great story, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
That's a great story, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:28 PM

Thanks for sharing, Billy. Still the lake record, I believe. What was the name of the guide out there that caught a couple giants on crankbaits back in the day? I'm getting old and his name escapes me. UPDATE. I just remembered his name, Tommy Milam.

Another guy I remember well from the mid 80's was Max Roach. He caught some giants at Pinkston. He was an old hippy that fished out of a floating lawn chair. I think I saw him at Monti, too. But I saw him at Pinkston all the time.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:36 PM

Your not thinking of the guy on Welsh are ya, Bob Smith knows him very well if he's the guy.. I can't remember, it'll come to me.
You know someone on here will recall who it was.. I wonder how many people remember when it went down with Jimmy's fish.. I was 21 at the time, and a absolute fishing NUT.... It's caused 2-divorce's, for real... hammer

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:38 PM

I remember Jimmy's fish well, Billy. Us big bass freaks may be getting older and memories harder to come by, but Jimmy's fish is etched in my memory. And you're right, Tommy Milam guided on Welsh, too.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Your not thinking of the guy on Welsh are ya, Bob Smith knows him very well if he's the guy.. I can't remember, it'll come to me.
You know someone on here will recall who it was.. I wonder how many people remember when it went down with Jimmy's fish.. I was 21 at the time, and a absolute fishing NUT.... It's caused 2-divorce's, for real... hammer

You're not talking about Bob Smith from The Tackle Shop (Barlow's) are you?

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 08:47 PM

The Moderator Bob.. grin

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:03 PM

bang
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:22 PM

Good story. Thank you
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:29 PM

Billy - There were so many great fishing memories from back in those days about the time Fork was first filling up. The stories of Monticello fishing, the Murvaul Monsters etc and the one thing that really got me going was the guy ( I think his name was Mr. Alexander) caught those two huge fish on Lake Echo. There was also the greatness of so many new lakes that came about during those years.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:30 PM

Wonderful memories made right there. Thanks for sharing.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:35 PM

Murvaul is responsiable for all those fish, whoever made that decision to use a Murvaul fish and a Florida was genius..
There is an unknown hero in that deal ???
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:37 PM

Kimbell's fish is what brought me to Texas, straight out of high school. Monti is still my favorite lake. For a while, getting on that water was all I cared about. I caught my first DD back in Smith, fishing out of a Buster Boat.
Max Roach caught the only other 14 lber that was officially weighed in at Kountry Korner.
Tommy Milam was probably the most prolific guide out there for years and boated many DD's. A Rebel Maxi-R crankbait accounted for a good number of them. Bob Garcia was another Monti regular that stayed on big fish. The old 11" Mister Twister worm was his weapon of choice. Bill Ocker was the Welsh guide who caught the lake record 15 lber out there. Man, how time flies.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 09:54 PM

Bill Ocker, that was the guy I was thinking about.. He still fishes Welsh all the time.. 15 lber, geez I'd love that. My best is only a mear 12 + compared to the monsters of the day, small fry.
Posted By: James P.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 10:02 PM

Thanks for the old story Billy..
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 10:19 PM

My wife was going through some old pictures last week that belonged to my Mother N Law. Low and behold there it was, the first Florida transplant that started the hunt for monster bass in Texas.

At the time my generation had never seen a bass like this, except in Florida, and Georgia.. I remember I was at work when the word hit the street, everyone who was any kind of bass fisherman was all over Monti..
We lived on Lake Winnsboro, so it was a short trip to the Tri-Lakes area.. Man, Jimmy's fish got everyone all excited, and we still are to this day...

He was my wifes uncle, mothers-brother, I had the pleasure of meeting him and getting to know him as a family member, what a super guy he was too..
I hope you enjoy seeing a bit history in this old newspaper clipping, they had no idea what was about to happen..

Jimmy passed away a few yrs back, he is missed.
To backup his catch, he also had a couple of 12's, I got to hold all the mounts.
Sure wish I had them for my collection..

Billy,

I probably told you this but Jimmy and I have sat across the pipeline from each other on Monticello many times throwing a deep diving crankbait. I never caught anything near his 14 pounder in my days out there but I enjoyed fishing next to him and getting the chance to talk with him. He was a great guy.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/26/16 11:23 PM

He was Ken, no doubt.. I'm calling Mickey his wife tomorrow, maybe I can get all his mounts and have them restored if need be. His wife is a class act, Mickey is a hoot... thumb I just love her...
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 12:02 AM

Good memories there, I started fishing Monticello in 1977, first time in a tube, in the summer, man you talk about hot.
First fish I caught was a 6 pounder in that tube. Was glad to move up to a boat the next year.
Before Kimball's catch the first big Monticello news story was a 10lb bass caught by Star-Telegram writer Bob Hood.
I wish I had copies of Bob's fishing reports, he was really good at telling a story about a hunting or fishing trip.
Fished many winter days and nights in the 80's and 90's at Monticello with others already mentioned and Jerry Dean.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Kick

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 12:07 AM

Love it

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 05:37 AM

Thank you, Jimmy was a special man. I just want him to get his due.... cheers
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 10:32 AM

Hope you're feeling well Billy.....I remember those days..... [censored] we are old!!

We ought to share a boat soon....MJ
Posted By: T CLIMER

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 10:58 AM

how about Bob Moore? He guided down there for years stayed on Cypress
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 12:11 PM

Wow! very nice read. Thanks for sharing, Billy.....
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 12:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, great read !

God Bless
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 12:49 PM

Monticello was a lot of fun in the early 80's. I remember fishing with Gerald Roebuck and Bill Ocker back in the day. Gerald helped my uncle and I out when our battery was dead, Bill Ocker pulled us off a stump up behind the rail road bridge before we sunk our old 1973 Skeeter Baron.

I wonder where all those giant bass went from that era?

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TxDanFishMan
Good memories there, I started fishing Monticello in 1977, first time in a tube, in the summer, man you talk about hot.
First fish I caught was a 6 pounder in that tube. Was glad to move up to a boat the next year.
Before Kimball's catch the first big Monticello news story was a 10lb bass caught by Star-Telegram writer Bob Hood.
I wish I had copies of Bob's fishing reports, he was really good at telling a story about a hunting or fishing trip.
Fished many winter days and nights in the 80's and 90's at Monticello with others already mentioned and Jerry Dean.
Thanks for sharing.

I remember launching one foggy night in the winter. Jerry Dean and another guy were launching right beside us. We weren't comfortable running in the fog and Jerry said "just follow us". We tried, but he was out of sight in a flash so we shut down and idled all the way back to Smith. I wonder if you were the guy with Jerry?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 02:13 PM

Awesome Post! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: CCTX

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Awesome Post! Thanks for sharing. cheers

+1
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/27/16 04:36 PM

That is awesome. I love old pictures and stories like that
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/28/16 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: TxDanFishMan
Thanks for sharing.

I remember launching one foggy night in the winter. Jerry Dean and another guy were launching right beside us. We weren't comfortable running in the fog and Jerry said "just follow us". We tried, but he was out of sight in a flash so we shut down and idled all the way back to Smith. I wonder if you were the guy with Jerry?

It might have been us, Jerry seemed to be there every time we went. I swear I went at night so many times I felt I could run from boat ramp to highway bridge by feel, then shoot for the power lines by the railroad bridge. Those were some long chilly nights but always paid off with big fish if you got there.

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/28/16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan

I wonder where all those giant bass went from that era?

On the wall wink

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/28/16 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
Kimbell's fish is what brought me to Texas, straight out of high school. Monti is still my favorite lake. For a while, getting on that water was all I cared about. I caught my first DD back in Smith, fishing out of a Buster Boat.
Max Roach caught the only other 14 lber that was officially weighed in at Kountry Korner.
Tommy Milam was probably the most prolific guide out there for years and boated many DD's. A Rebel Maxi-R crankbait accounted for a good number of them. Bob Garcia was another Monti regular that stayed on big fish. The old 11" Mister Twister worm was his weapon of choice. Bill Ocker was the Welsh guide who caught the lake record 15 lber out there. Man, how time flies.

Time does fly Vince.

Do you guys remember Jerome Matuse from Welsh?
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: The fish that seriously kick started my fishing addiction... - 05/29/16 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors

Time does fly Vince.

Do you guys remember Jerome Matuse from Welsh?

Didn't Jerome pass away years ago? He ran the store or something didn't he?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum