Texas Fishing Forum

Small Mouth Replica?

Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Small Mouth Replica? - 05/26/16 01:20 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who can do a nice small mouth replica?

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 01:46 AM

Fine. I'll make it myself... bannana2
Posted By: Ranger K

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 02:15 AM

Check out Anglers Choice Replicas, early on he did some guiding up North.
http://anglerschoicefishmounts.com/warmwater-fish/

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 02:19 AM

Awesome. Thanks!
Posted By: Ranger K

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 02:26 AM

I am having a largemouth replica made, you should call him and talk with him. We talked smallmouth fishing for a while and when we finished I had to remind him I needed to give him the card number for the deposit nice guy!

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 03:01 AM

Cool. His work looks good. Good to do business with a "good guy" too. I'll definitely give him a call and see what he can do.

Any thoughts on this company's work? Just came across them on a google search, and they look pretty good: http://www.fishscaletaxidermy.com/Page_4.html

Any other recommendations?
Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 02:16 PM

I heard a guy named Mike Iaconelli makes a good small mouth mount.... smile oh the irony smile.

In all seriousness, Lake Fork Taxidermy does great work!!

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerFan-n-TX
I heard a guy named Mike Iaconelli makes a good small mouth mount.... smile oh the irony smile.

In all seriousness, Lake Fork Taxidermy does great work!!

Hahaha...that's good. I like it.

Thanks Sooner. I've heard good things about Lake Fork Taxidermy. I'll be honest, I don't know much about what makes a good replica--I just know I've seen some bad ones. I wonder if Lake Fork has small mouth experience or if it even matters.

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 03:07 PM

They have a photo of one, along with many other "non-lake fork" fish on there website. They did mine, although a LMB, but I was extremely pleased!! As long as your not in a hurry though.

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 03:15 PM

Is it of the pic you have in the bottom right in your signature? Looks like an Athens Bass if I recognize that fence behind you correctly. Nice fish.

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 03:33 PM

Yep, you are correct sir. It is an Athens fish, 12.93 lb caught March of last year and Thank You. The level of detail they did is amazing. Here is a pic of the mount they did:

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 05/27/16 04:12 PM

That looks really good. Good one to hang on your wall. What was the turn around time, not that it would really matter to me so long as it's quality?
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/01/16 07:30 PM

Sorry for the poor pictures, but I'm just completing these two. One rep, one skin mount. I haven't even glossed the rep yet. But I paint them by the picture of your fish, each different.

Here in Temple, Tx.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/01/16 07:55 PM

Lawrence Taxidermy, had a 9lb LMB done on a trade for a custom rod I made him.. all I can say is wow to his work, he's from up North too so a Smally should be no problem.

http://lawrencetaxidermy.com/
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/02/16 02:25 AM

Check out artistic anglers in Duluth,mn. They do amazing work, their smallies look great! Tell Matt I sent you! You won't be disappointed!
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/02/16 04:42 AM

IMO Fishscale does the best work, however he got ill and made some poor business decisions (didn't contact any clients) and that cost him his reputation (according to many on here anyways). His detail is by far the best.....and the wait time even longer. I think I heard him say something about doing 1200-1500 replicas per year and he's a 1 man operation. I have one from him and I'd do it all over again.

With that being said.....IMO LFT has no individuality or character. Every replica I've seen posted on here looks exactly the same......even though many of the fish came from opposite ends of the state. They all seem to have too much white on the underside and the exact same green shading on the sides. Just my opinion though.....take it for what it's worth....or don't. I'm not saying that a replica from them isn't quality.....I just feel like they all look exactly alike. I'd hate to know that if my fish was hanging on a wall next to 20 others that I couldn't tell it apart from the rest.
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/02/16 01:18 PM

I've had eight bass replicas done over the years. I've used Lake Fork Taxidermy, Ron Kelley, and Fishscale. If I ever have another one done it will be from Ron Kelley or Lake Fork Taxidermy. When you see quality work next to others you can really see the deference.
Posted By: Fishmounter

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/02/16 01:35 PM

Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Small Mouth Replica? - 06/02/16 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishmounter

I just looked through your photo albums on your site and the detail is amazing. As a painter it's amazing to look at the level of detail you have in the scales and fades between colors.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum